Josh seems popular here but remains unproven. People saying he will score 20 goals in a season, but we shall see.

Point being if I were a Leeds fan I'd be a bit concerned if the limit of ambition was Josh Sargent.

He's more important to us than them I'd say.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Josh seems popular here but remains unproven. People saying he will score 20 goals in a season, but we shall see.

Point being if I were a Leeds fan I'd be a bit concerned if the limit of ambition was Josh Sargent.

He scored 13 in a season were he was played out of position and our form dipped massively. With Barnes as a help I think he will score 20 plus this season... would genuinely see me question my season ticket if they sold him. No major drama just believe this team is one I can get behind, as it doesn't role over and Josh is a big part of that. Not that bothered about going up, just like a team that looks like it cares...

• Like 5

If Webber sells Sargent then I doubt that David Wagner would be a very happy bunny. The striker's work rate and strength, irrespective of his goal scoring potential seem fundamental to the approach the manager is trying to instil into his players. 

It seems unusual that even twelve months ago most of the support (as represented on this forum at least) would have advocated the player's sale at a fraction of the value that now seems to be accredited to him. His basic footballing credentials were continually questioned, and every penny spent on him was considered a waste.

"Not even a footballer." I'll never forget that harshest of appraisals.

What a change in just one season. Now he is a fan's favourite. 

Where does this seemingly unique character fit in to the footballing hierarchy? Never mind Championship Leeds United supposedly showing interest in him (and probably instigated by the manager who signed him in the first place) will he ever excite such interest from a Premier League team?

May be? If something which seemed completely out of the question when he was first inaugurated into the yellow could actually become a reality then we are surely talking £20m plus, not the level of investment that the current Leeds set-up are likely to reach.

It does seem that Josh cannot now be counted among Stuart Webber's many mistakes in the transfer market.

Unbelievable that Webber can work his notice and his thoughts and ambitions are with another club or so it seems

Sooner he goes the better

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daly said:

Unbelievable that Webber can work his notice and his thoughts and ambitions are with another club or so it seems

Sooner he goes the better

It's possible, but I doubt it.

I believe that he is the sort of individual who would be keen to leave the job with his credit intact and with an established legacy.

He may or may not have evolved much love for NCFC or its support (or at least some of it) by now, but he retains high regard for the owners, there is little doubting that, and his wife retains an important role at the club for goodness’s sake.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

if a bid came in for 20 million i would take it ,

he scored 13 last season and played and scored most when playing CF not out wide ,

so you would like to think if he played CF all season he would get 20 but it is a IF,

not proven so 20 million for a striker who might be a 20 goal a season championship striker is not bad going ,

Again depends on who they have to replace him

• Like 2

If Leeds make a bid for Sargent just ask for £40m + £5m in add ons and 50% sell on clause (not based on profit, just however much they get for him). If West Ham make a bid for Sara just ask for £50m + £10m add ons and 50% sell on (again, not based on profit)

That should keep their hands off them and if we do lose them we should be able to afford a decent replacement

Edited by HazzaJet

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

if a bid came in for 20 million i would take it ,

he scored 13 last season and played and scored most when playing CF not out wide ,

so you would like to think if he played CF all season he would get 20 but it is a IF,

not proven so 20 million for a striker who might be a 20 goal a season championship striker is not bad going ,

Again depends on who they have to replace him

I get the logic for extrapolating 13 last season for 20 or more this, but I agree he still has to do it.

Having said that I hope we turn down £20m as whilst that's a very good price we'll have to spend that again, if not more, to get a proven 20 goal a season striker.

I'd rather wallow in the hope that Josh comes good rather than risk bringing in someonelse.

• Like 2

Is there any good reason why the transfer window can't close the day before the season starts? For both ins and outs.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is there any good reason why the transfer window can't close the day before the season starts? For both ins and outs.

only reason i can think of is some of the world football leagues start and finish different times ?

they would all have to agree start and stop of window 

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

only reason i can think of is some of the world football leagues start and finish different times ?

Yes but then some world leagues start when the window has long closed and curtains shut.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

None, there’s no reason for each country to have its window closed the Friday before the season starts! Done!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Indy said:

None, there’s no reason for each country to have its window closed the Friday before the season starts! Done!

And I cannot see what was wrong with the old system. Why have a transfer window that is mostly open in the close season? So why bother with a January one? The big clubs sign players when they want. They just can't play for them.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Back to the good old days when transfers could happen any time up to 31st March and players were publicly transfer listed.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And I cannot see what was wrong with the old system. Why have a transfer window that is mostly open in the close season? So why bother with a January one? The big clubs sign players when they want. They just can't play for them.

I agree, personally I think there should be a two month window in the EU as we play on EU cups, between June & July. Then it shuts, no January window as it isn’t needed!

I add a salary cap for ever division, squad number limitation and the use of your Under 23 system if you need to cover your squad through the season!

On various rumours pages the Leeds connection to Sargent doesn't appear to be going away, and latest reports suggest Josh is "keen on a reunion with Farke"

I think it would take absolute crazy money for NCFC to even entertain a bid (if it ever transpires) but Josh appears to look very happy in his role (& body language) as main striker at the moment and hoping the rumours are absolute tosh! 

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

On various rumours pages the Leeds connection to Sargent doesn't appear to be going away, and latest reports suggest Josh is "keen on a reunion with Farke"

I think it would take absolute crazy money for NCFC to even entertain a bid (if it ever transpires) but Josh appears to look very happy in his role (& body language) as main striker at the moment and hoping the rumours are absolute tosh! 

Intetesingly TNC with all their leaks and inside info being proved right in the past the other day pretty much said something like

'They don't want to sell him but if the right price is offered..'

Why would Sargent go to Leeds he’s scoring for Norwich and if we are serious about going back to the Premier League we don’t sell any more of our players.

On 19/08/2023 at 18:34, Indy said:

I agree, personally I think there should be a two month window in the EU as we play on EU cups, between June & July. Then it shuts, no January window as it isn’t needed!

I add a salary cap for ever division, squad number limitation and the use of your Under 23 system if you need to cover your squad through the season!

Plus a 10 point penalty if your first strip is a blue shirt, 15 if you play in Suffolk and 5 if your club name starts with I?

3 minutes ago, For the future said:

Why would Sargent go to Leeds he’s scoring for Norwich and if we are serious about going back to the Premier League we don’t sell any more of our players.

Money my friend.

Money talks.

On 19/08/2023 at 14:56, norfolkngood said:

There are some windows now that are slightly different. Its designed to hype up and boost the price of players. I think you should have your squad for the first game of the season and that's it. Those are your players for the year.

• Like 1

Would be equal parts gobsmacked and livid if he went. Don't see it. I don't think they'd be prepared to pay what we'd want even if the interest were genuine.

1 minute ago, The Raptor said:

There are some windows now that are slightly different. Its designed to hype up and boost the price of players. I think you should have your squad for the first game of the season and that's it. Those are your players for the year.

Agreed. Che Adams is said to be off to Everton - well if he'd been gone by the start of the season he wouldn't have been there to score against us at Southampton.