cambridgeshire canary

I see Mumba scored a world class wonder goal today

I was very disappointed to see him go because watching exciting young players break through is one of the best things about being an NCFC fan. 

But his goal today wasn't as good as some are making out. Defenders just kept on backing off. Colin must have been furious with the defending. 

Rowe's goal was better 

• Like 2

Powder-puff defence or not, Rowe seemingly apart, there is no other player on the Carrow Road books that could have produced a goal of anywhere near that quality.

If any supporter can suggest a player then I will argue that their final shot would have either hit the post or blazed high over the bar.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I miss him already. Clearly from todays result we don't need him mind😉

Definitely 'sunday league' defending, I expect Colin was shouting for someone to 'break his leg'.

You need a bigger TV.

12 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Believe he started on the wing today, a position I always thought would be his end game. Would take him over Hernandez, Tzolis and Placheta any day of the week. 

Yes, but I think that he is trying to move us away from the "lightweight" model and wants more physicality from us. time will tell but I could only ever see him fitting in as an inverted winger and I have no ideas whether he is physically up to the job.

I guess we'll just have to accept the 'two W's' opinion that Mumba is not what we need for the style that we seem to be adopting. And, maybe Mumba wasn't happy to stay here and warm the bench for a few cameo appearances.

Many on here love Onel but whether you see him as a guaranteed starter or an impact player the fact is he would be a blockage to Mumba's development. Hopefully one day we'll see some end product from him in the same way as we see already from Mumba.

The sale of Mumba looks slightly strange I admit and most people I speak to share the same opinion.

I would think most Norwich fans like Hernandez, but in the cold light of day he has had one good season, and that seems an awfully long time ago.

The sad fact is we know exactly what we are going to get from Hernandez -  just 8 goals and 10 assists in total over the past 4 seasons, from a player with his determination and dribbling skills, playing high up the pitch, is shockingly bad.

Luckily for him, his personality has proved far greater than his ability to effect a game.

Again,

Absolutely crazy decision to allow him to go and for just £1 Million.

To see Onel starting and Springett on the bench, whilst shipping out Bali and Tzolis is mind blowing.

Bali also incredibly versatile for times we need players to 'do a job'

I am going to reserve judgement on the sale of Mumba because I am the layman and the decision was made by professionals with many years of experience in the game at the highest level.

My only comment is that I did not understand it. Despite all points raised attempting to justify it, I remain in the dark.

Previously I had not been able to comprehend Wagner's comment that his intention was to use the player as a full back.

Clearly  the game in general has changed beyond my understanding because I cannot recall one time when Ruel Fox, one of our greatest wide men, was ever remotely touted as anything more than a winger. Fox is the one player ever to my limited recollection that  Mumba bears comparison to as I see it. But I'm the layman after all.

Mumba on one wing , Rowe on the other would have been good enough for this league no problem ,

Far better than Hernandez with more potential ,

Mumba has pace makes things happen ,Not afraid to take players on and as we saw yesterday makes and scores goals

£ 1 million was nowhere near enough 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Mumba on one wing , Rowe on the other would have been good enough for this league no problem ,

Far better than Hernandez with more potential ,

Mumba has pace makes things happen ,Not afraid to take players on and as we saw yesterday makes and scores goals

£ 1 million was nowhere near enough 

I would suspect once fassnacht is up to speed he will relegate hernandez back to impact sub 

mumba for whatever reason wasn’t fancied here…we go again 

Watching the Plymouth highlights - and I know that one swallow doesn't make a summer - but it does seem that Mumba would've been an excellent winger option for us. Still seems an odd decision to me to let him go for that kind of money. But we are where we are!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grando said:

Watching the Plymouth highlights - and I know that one swallow doesn't make a summer - but it does seem that Mumba would've been an excellent winger option for us. Still seems an odd decision to me to let him go for that kind of money. But we are where we are!

Totally agree, but reading Mumba's interview he say something didnt feel right here at Norwich and would rather play somewhere  guaranteed games and is loved - As we all know being appriciated in your work does make a hell of a diffence to us all.

I'm bored of hearing about Mumba now. If he was here who would you drop to fit him in? After Saturdays performance he would not be starting

Edited by NCFC-Palmer

2 minutes ago, NCFC-Palmer said:

I'm bored of hearing about Mumba now. Of he was here who would you drop to fit him in? After Saturdays performance he would not be starting

He wouldnt start over Hernadez ??? Are you mental ?

Just now, Wibble said:

He wouldnt start over Hernadez ??? Are you mental ?

No not for me. That's what makes football, everyone has their own unique perspective!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCFC-Palmer said:

I'm bored of hearing about Mumba now. If he was here who would you drop to fit him in? After Saturdays performance he would not be starting

You clicked though.

I agree he would not be starting, but it's a squad game with lots of subs available. He would always be useful as an impact winger whatever system the manager favours. 

Still cant quite believe we let him go....moreso if we're considering selling McCallum

Hard to think we wouldnt have thought a player who can play full back ,wing back and winger on both left and right wouldnt come in useful over a 46 game season

On 06/08/2023 at 16:14, Yobocop said:

I would suspect once fassnacht is up to speed he will relegate hernandez back to impact sub 

mumba for whatever reason wasn’t fancied here…we go again 

Don't forget there's sainz as well to come in from injury...

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

You clicked though.

I agree he would not be starting, but it's a squad game with lots of subs available. He would always be useful as an impact winger whatever system the manager favours. 

One assumes he wasn't happy with that and wanted gone. To somewhere where he will play and loved being last season. That's football. 

12 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Don't forget there's sainz as well to come in from injury...

Exactly. We haven't seen him play but we have to assume he is an upgrade or why else buy him?

Onel doesn't seem to hav emuch end product but what he gifts us is an outball and the width that saw a very good display from Sara when given space which width provides. When they put two defenders on to clog everything up we looked less effective. But I believe that Onel is still a worthy sqaud player.

We've flushed a few million down the toilet by taking a fast buck for Mumba. 

I was excited to see him in the team this season only to find (inexplicably) he's been sold to Plymouth on the cheap.

We will regret this. 

On 06/08/2023 at 11:22, unique said:

I would think most Norwich fans like Hernandez, but in the cold light of day he has had one good season, and that seems an awfully long time ago.

The sad fact is we know exactly what we are going to get from Hernandez -  just 8 goals and 10 assists in total over the past 4 seasons, from a player with his determination and dribbling skills, playing high up the pitch, is shockingly bad.

Luckily for him, his personality has proved far greater than his ability to effect a game.

He's 29. He's not going to get any better.

Time will tell, but for all the bellyaching we do every time a supposed prospect leaves, there are very few that end up coming back to bite us. If he wanted to go, it makes sense to me.

Edited by splutcho

On 06/08/2023 at 10:02, unique said:

Powder-puff defence or not, Rowe seemingly apart, there is no other player on the Carrow Road books that could have produced a goal of anywhere near that quality.

If any supporter can suggest a player then I will argue that their final shot would have either hit the post or blazed high over the bar.

I think we've quite a few players who could have scored that goal if the defence backed off from them the same way, if you want to say they would have invariably blazed the shot over that's your privilege.

It was a really good goal and makes me wonder whether we should have let him go for that price, but if we couldn't see ourselves using him then it's fair enough really.