norfolkngood

Placheta the New Left Back ?

From the Front page of the pinkun 

Przemyslaw Placheta can push for a left back spot at Norwich City, in the view of his head coach David Wagner.

The Polish international played 80 minutes in an unaccustomed defensive role in the midweek 2-0 friendly win over Toulouse in Austria.

Wagner revealed afterwards the 25-year-old has been learning the nuances of the position in recent pre-season training sessions.

Placheta was recruited as a pacy winger, but is yet to establish himself as a frontline option at Carrow Road, and had an injury-hit loan stint last season at Birmingham.

I've seen enough that we will continue this idea,” said Wagner. “We had this already in our minds. From last week he trained in this position and I think he has done quite well.

"Offensively, we know that he can be a threat with the speed and power which he has. Defensively, he looked more than solid.

“Obviously, there were some situations where he wasn't in the right position. But this is something we can educate him, where we can teach him and where he will learn.

"We will progress this idea with him on the full back position because he has a lot of skills, which you would like to have as a full back, and I think it was a solid performance from him.”

Not something i had ever thought would happen but Wagner seems to think he can play there 

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Przemyslaw Placheta can push for a left back spot at Norwich City, in the view of his head coach David Wagner.

The Polish international played 80 minutes in an unaccustomed defensive role in the midweek 2-0 friendly win over Toulouse in Austria.

Wagner revealed afterwards the 25-year-old has been learning the nuances of the position in recent pre-season training sessions.

Placheta was recruited as a pacy winger, but is yet to establish himself as a frontline option at Carrow Road, and had an injury-hit loan stint last season at Birmingham.

I've seen enough that we will continue this idea,” said Wagner. “We had this already in our minds. From last week he trained in this position and I think he has done quite well.

"Offensively, we know that he can be a threat with the speed and power which he has. Defensively, he looked more than solid.

“Obviously, there were some situations where he wasn't in the right position. But this is something we can educate him, where we can teach him and where he will learn.

"We will progress this idea with him on the full back position because he has a lot of skills, which you would like to have as a full back, and I think it was a solid performance from him.”

Not something i had ever thought would happen but Wagner seems to think he can play there 

Can't be any worse than Mcallum.

3 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Christ no, next Idah will be in goal

Good idea i will email Wagner !! he will love that ..

15 minutes ago, Wibble said:

He doesn’t know what a goal is, let alone trying to defend it 

49 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Who was the  Coach that deemed PePe ...."unable to learn".... I hope they're wrong (see what I did there? )

I’m willing to see how this plays out. Having pace in our defence is an incredibly useful attribute and his attacking prowess is not hugely evident, so it’s conceivable that if coached well that he could become useful to us. It may be the change he needs as I’ve often thought players pigeon holed at the start of their career may go by the wayside but for a bit of sideways thinking. 

• Like 1

He was left wing-back at Brum on loan and considering that Rowe is getting readied and Tzolis is looking fit, this could be an interesting experiment.

EDIT: Might explain why he seems to have bulked up a bit.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He was left wing-back at Brum on loan and considering that Rowe is getting readied and Tzolis is looking fit, this could be an interesting experiment.

I think if his stats are as they are, the need to play as a winger, pass players with a bit of skill and put a great ball into the box is a harder technical role than covering ground and playing a simple ball to feet to a player with the technical skill. He can cover ground for sure, he is rapid. 

Gino is out of contract next June. He has said he is open to another contract, yet so far nothing. Is Wagener laying the ground for a sale. Olympiakos are here Saturday, perhaps it's a chance for Gino to be put in the shop window.

2 hours ago, Payno10 said:

He doesn’t know what a goal is, let alone trying to defend it 

On the other hand he does a good job of preventing the ball ever going in the back of the net so maybe we should convert him to goalie 😉

• Haha 2

Good idea, many forwards have ended up as defenders, and vice versa. 

Greg Downs forward to full back, …….

Being called a fullback by Wagner seems to be a one way ticket out the club, as per Mumba.

Placheta is no more a Championship fullback than I am.

• Like 1

I really do worry about Wagner. Shipping out Mumba but thinking Placheta can be a left back. Sigh. 

47 minutes ago, S_81 said:

I really do worry about Wagner. Shipping out Mumba but thinking Placheta can be a left back. Sigh. 

will be interesting to see how this works , either a masterstroke or a disaster 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wibble said:

only chance he has of scoring one is palming it in 😉

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

will be interesting to see how this works , either a masterstroke or a disaster 

Both - offensively a masterstoke, defensively a disaster

Can you imagine the tactical coaches of the other clubs planning to play us ? - Platcheta & Ben Gibson on one side of the defence - it's an open road into Rome !  

1 minute ago, Six Pack said:

Both - offensively a masterstoke, defensively a disaster

Can you imagine the tactical coaches of the other clubs planning to play us ? - Platcheta & Ben Gibson on one side of the defence - it's an open road into Rome !  

i have been trying not to think of those two getting pressed into the corner trying to play their way out of danger 

Actually with Gibson and Duffy potentially the slowest centre back partnership we've had in quite some time a little pace may not be the worst idea.  Jury would be out on what happens when he gets there however ....

Armchair coaches thinking they know more than highly paid, trained, qualified,  professional coaches make me laugh.

I hope for my clubs sake that Placheta does well in his new role.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sheva said:

Not to mention the greatest ever defender at NCFC who formerly played as striker, the mighty Ginger Pele.

5 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Armchair coaches thinking they know more than highly paid, trained, qualified,  professional coaches make me laugh.

I hope for my clubs sake that Placheta does well in his new role.

Exactly this. 

Everyone on this board put together knows two fifths of fcuk all compared to the folk running our first team. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheva said:

Mark Bowen started out as a midfielder, he wasn't a bad fullback

Quote from EDP,-“The truth is in the weeks where Bali was with us in training he had shown his qualities and his skills. But the truth, as well, is that he sees himself more as a wing-back. And, obviously, we don't have the wing-back position.

This was DW explaining one of the reasons for the sale of Mamba.So why is there a suggestion that Placheta could be deployed as a a wing back,or have I read that all wrong.

8 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Exactly this. 

Everyone on this board put together knows two fifths of fcuk all compared to the folk running our first team. 

Yes very true, but seeing things different ways and having the ability to publish those views is one of the main purposes of footie forums like this one.

I'll bet that all over the country in all the varying football forums on Saturday pm in over half of the contents will be contributors who question their manager's team selection. That's the way it usually is on here, and after that could well come either the timing or the personnel of his substitutions.

Managers don't always get it right, and who would have thunk it until now that Placheta would ever make a fullback, despite him showing up quite well in his pre-season games with a distinct improvement in effort and intent?

You never know it might be a master stroke born out of the wisdom of Colney but on the surface of things it seems an unusual placement to say the least.

I think it's likely just Lambert-esque management of making fringe players feel more involved / motivated / more potential opportunities to get game time.

Realistically he should very rarely be our Left-Back. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Quote from EDP,-“The truth is in the weeks where Bali was with us in training he had shown his qualities and his skills. But the truth, as well, is that he sees himself more as a wing-back. And, obviously, we don't have the wing-back position.

This was DW explaining one of the reasons for the sale of Mamba.So why is there a suggestion that Placheta could be deployed as a a wing back,or have I read that all wrong.

Yes, you have read that all wrong!