Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Semi official friendly match thread Le Téfécé V Canaries*

25 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Yes. A few surprises as well  Duffy looks very solid and competent (no backheaders though). Much as with Stacey. Gino was linking up well down the left side, whoever was with him. Gibbs is quite an aggressive player for someone so slight. Looking like he will take a DM role. Sara's goal was a 'Hey lads, look what you have been missing'

Without an open admission of fault, the signings are in direct contrast to the ones signed from abroad previously. Players who look like they are ready for the Championship. i expect that what we have saved in transfer fees is going out in wages - but if they do the job then that's fine.  Too many recent loans and purchases have turned out duds.

Fingers crossed, arms crossed and the old testicles too. This season could be anything. 

30 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Yes. A few surprises as well  Duffy looks very solid and competent (no backheaders though). Much as with Stacey. Gino was linking up well down the left side, whoever was with him. Gibbs is quite an aggressive player for someone so slight. Looking like he will take a DM role. Sara's goal was a 'Hey lads, look what you have been missing'

Without an open admission of fault, the signings are in direct contrast to the ones signed from abroad previously. Players who look like they are ready for the Championship. i expect that what we have saved in transfer fees is going out in wages - but if they do the job then that's fine.  Too many recent loans and purchases have turned out duds.

Agreed. It just looks skinny at the business end now. Can Idah step up and deliver? Would love to see it but can’t see it. 

• Haha 1

I still think we’ll make use of the loans market, because we always do. Can easily imagine a CB/CDM/CF or two coming in by that route. 

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Agreed. It just looks skinny at the business end now. Can Idah step up and deliver? Would love to see it but can’t see it. 

Barnes, Sargent, Idah should have enough about them to get some goals. Barnes has the experience and Sargent showed enough last season to suggest if we can create him chances he can be a good finisher

Edited by AJ

20 minutes ago, AJ said:

Barnes, Sargent, Idah should have enough about them to get some goals. Barnes has the experience and Sargent showed enough last season to suggest if we can create him chances he can be a good finisher

You didn't elaborate on Idah ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

For those watching the pre season games, what are your thoughts on Idah's performances? Serious question

12 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

For those watching the pre season games, what are your thoughts on Idah's performances? Serious question

Consistent. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

As with most of them, looked a little uncomfortable as it's clear there's been a big effort to consciously set in this new mode. It takes time to become second nature.

But I can't help feeling with Idah he might have a bit of Placheta syndrome i.e. processing the tactical instructions takes away from his ability to physically action them, making him look very awkward. He also seems to have zero luck in front of goal- your mileage may vary on whether that's his fault- and honestly I think he could really do with some time away from home pressures to build himself up.

Ironically the best thing for him, if not a loan away at this point, would be for Sarge to be absolutely on-fire and the burden of pressure removed as a result. 

The Toulouse paper says towards the end of the match (ie when we scored…🤐) their team was almost entirely composed of youngsters. Still, a win is a win is a win. And with any luck we will have some money left in January for the top-six-quality striker we currently lack.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

The Toulouse paper says towards the end of the match (ie when we scored…🤐) their team was almost entirely composed of youngsters. Still, a win is a win is a win. And with any luck we will have some money left in January for the top-six-quality striker we currently lack.

I'm going to disagree and say we have that with Sargent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Turn the phone 90 degrees FFS!

I blame TikTok.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I see a mid championship team at best. A couple of injuries to midfield and we will be below that. 

You really are the most negative "supporter" going. Go and do something else, that may make you happy, for your own health.

• Like 4

Being miserable is what makes him happy. Many such people at Carrow Road on a match day.

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Being miserable is what makes him happy. Many such people at Carrow Road on a match day.

There has been quite the reason for that recently

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I see a mid championship team at best. A couple of injuries to midfield and we will be below that. 

Lump on promotion then lads. Whenever DCB makes a prediction we are going to struggle there's at least a 75% chance of promotion.

• Haha 2

Why is sharing my opinion of where we are at “miserable”? It is an opinion. Last year you said the same and I called our finishing place right- you don’t say “oh fair enough” you just attack again. Is everyone a rubbish supporter if they don’t pretend we are capable of a top two finish? 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

We shall see. I grant you he's better than Idah!🤩

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Agree with this, you'd have to think with a solid season with him at 9 should see a decent return.

10 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

His link up play is fine and he drops back well. Carries the ball well. I’ve just never seen someone who lacks confidence in front of goal like him. Needs a few early season or I suspect he will not get a sniff.

Could see him being loaned out on deadline day and us getting a premier league loan in if he struggles.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

You really are the most negative "supporter" going. Go and do something else, that may make you happy, for your own health.

Even pulling the wings off butterflies gets boring after a while. Think he might have run out of alternatives.

• Haha 1

Just seen the highlights and they looked to be playing some nice football.I am not sure if its because DW has been on about the fitness level but it did look as though they had plenty of pace.
Was pleasantly surprised at the contribution of Tzolis and Placheta,two players I have never really rated.
On the whole and I realise it was only the highlights and supposedly against somewhat inferior opposition I thought they looked quite promising

• Like 1

13 hours ago, horsefly said:

Fisher looks an excellent find too.

Agreed. Thought he looked very confident and composed for such a young lad.

16 hours ago, Indy said:

Out all afternoon so great to read the positive last 40….but Don’t we need to have a set number of homegrown players in the playing Squad? Surely we need to keep them for that reason?

They are u21's, yes, but we currently have 10 Homegrown seniors, although one is Hanley and 3 are goalkeepers. But with 9 subs allowed this season, its always possible to stick a couple of u21's on bench purely to make up numbers.

5 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

What difference would that make ? We’ve seen the goal.

None in this case, it’s too late of course. But as a general point, you frequently see amateur footage on the news and elsewhere which is the same, with huge borders to the left and right which are either blank or with some weird effect which blurs and mirrors the video. Turning the phone/camera 90 degrees often fits the platform the video is viewed on so much better and is more likely to include extra action/detail.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

None in this case, it’s too late of course. But as a general point, you frequently see amateur footage on the news and elsewhere which is the same, with huge borders to the left and right which are either blank or with some weird effect which blurs and mirrors the video. Turning the phone/camera 90 degrees often fits the platform the video is viewed on so much better and is more likely to include extra action/detail.

I wonder if grefsted  watches  TikTok ( i looked it up) on his huge telly  turned through 90° so he can see more than the rest of us. 

• Haha 1