norfolkngood

Delia Interview in FT Still unsure about MA

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

? The only way to become established is through patient organic growth. Sorry.

So why is the board actively seeking money? Is that organic growth? 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

10 hours ago, essex canary said:

In a sense No. Nonetheless it is essentially the argument the Webbers have offered and Delia's comment about football being awash with cash reinforces it so I am playing them on their territory. Getting Value for Money is really what matters. Get to work on that and stop making excuses.

Do you really think they are not trying for value for money? Sometimes they have achieved it (e.g. Teemu and probably with the bond for Colney), sometimes not (e.g. Rashica, although I would guess our loss overall won’t be huge). I still believe it is obvious on our resources we have massively outperformed the vast majority of our peers in the long-term. Yes, we are not where we want to be right now. But in assessing performance you have to take the long-term view. Demanding short-term, immediate results is what has done for so many clubs with impatient, naive owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

I would say it’s more that it is nigh on impossible to be successful, in the Premier League, which is where we all want to be successful without a pot of money rather than the simplistic view of money = success. I think most rational people probably do realise that. 

But Essex has been quick to point out that Brentford have a lower wage spend than us?

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Yes that doesn't work does it, just ask Man City fans if they are happy to be where they are given where they were 25 years ago! 😉

You’ve been around long enough Indy to know picking one example that suits your argument is no justification. It hasn’t worked for Everton has it? And ask Blackburn, Wigan, Bury and many other clubs’ supporters how previous overspending has worked out for them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Delia seems determined to go out with a bang. There's an article in the Torygraph today whereby she denounces both vegetarians/vegans and the Labour Party.

Go at it girl, but please don't get involved in the debate about whether a woman can have a penis, we don't want transgenders placarding around Carrow Road just yet. 

No mention of her Norwich City involvement and apparently MWJ is 52 and does most of the home cooking

Delia Smith

"I do it MY way."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/14/delia-smith-denounces-veganism-not-helping-planet/

You dont honestly believe he is THIRTY years younger than DS do you!!?? 

• Haha 1

Im not bothering to read this but wonder what financial acumen she is able to provide FT readers.  After all her reign at Carrow Rd has not yeilded any perceived financial wisdom.  Proposing a self funded project because she wanted to keep her personal train set even if it was on a shoestring, thats hardly justified the FT giving her the platform of financial wizeard. 

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

But Essex has been quick to point out that Brentford have a lower wage spend than us?

Or we could mention Burnley who have spent less on Wages than us over 10 years but been continuous top 22 or Luton last season.

47 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The club itself recognises the need for money. Best case at the moment is parity between Anastasio and D/M. That’s  what the club are looking to achieve but the Takeover Rules are the sticking point. If all shareholders get the same offer - MA could gain a controlling interest . The club don’t want that (at the moment) . They have to avoid the Rules being applied and they will . 

Avoid the rules? Is that the same as breaking them?

Edited by essex canary

21 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

organic growers use organic fertiliser, so depending on the source and application of the investment , could well be. Anyone expecting a money dump coming our way, shouldnt hold their breath.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

The problem is that owners get ed up of "giving" money year in, year out and stop, often leaving the club with a pile of debt. Those that don't leave a pile of debt, scale back their ambitions. Owners cannot subsidise their way to permanent premier league status for clubs our size. It is a simple fact, I'm afraid.

Which clubs with a ground capacity of 27,000 has spent more time than us in the Premier League in the last 20 years? The only way to become established is through patient organic growth. Sorry.

I know I'm going to regret asking but...

Can you name a single example from the last 20 years of a club who has established in the top flight through patient organic growth.

16 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Money is always useful: if it is through new equity rather than external debt it can be helpful but it won't be transformative. The key would be how it is spent. The temptation is always to spend it players and their wages, but imo it would be far better to develop the ground to bring in higher football and non football revenues* so that the revenue increase is permanently higher.

* E.g the South Stand has a lot of office space which is commercially let. The working from home change offers significant opportunity imo for commercial meeting spaces with good parking and easy walking distance from the train station.

• Like 1

You cannot even number the clubs on a couple of hands who can have any claim to being a so-called "established Premier League Club" and we all know who they are. Even Everton were threatened last season and that seems to have been a regular thing for years now. 

Norwich City never have and will never lay claim to that. So what, there are dozens in a similar position, some with more "credentials" like Leeds, and some with less, like Bournemouth.

Anything but big ugly money assures it. I should think few want that to propel the club. The frustration stems from the ridicule received when we were last at the top table (much undeserved, imo) and the fact that it does not seem beyond the bounds of possibility that we will soon join the paupers in the Chumps dependent upon our excellent academy and our excellent support to keep afloat. It was fun being a yo-yo club and the three recent promotions were some achievement whereby all are in need of praise. It now seems likely looking at the strength of the coming season's line-up that even this status is now beyond us.

We are going backwards, the American involvement seems our only hope of avoiding this. Now it seems to have been gently played down.

No entitlement is involved. We are NCFC, not the binners.

I cannot recall a manager who talks such a good game as David Wagner. Bondi was probably the last, but he produced. Let's hope that there is more to DW than wind.  We are already on thinnish ice financially the last thing we need is a duff manager.

Edited by BroadstairsR

17 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

No, of course not, but I didn't say that. The DT reporter did.

55 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You’ve been around long enough Indy to know picking one example that suits your argument is no justification. It hasn’t worked for Everton has it? And ask Blackburn, Wigan, Bury and many other clubs’ supporters how previous overspending has worked out for them?

Yes but just like you, you can’t use that argument without picking an example! Money does have a massive impact! 👍

Of course success isn’t a guarantee with or without money and clubs go through cycles, but without that £10 million investment from MA where would we be today? Would we have  the wage structure in place financially for the three players we’ve bought in on free and the injured winger!👍 

Money is very important and to keep bleeding on about it not bringing success is daft without it we’d be back at playing the like of Doc up front as we didn’t have a recognised striker! Money is imperative in football and where it comes from is important too!

Edited by Indy

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

I know I'm going to regret asking but...

Can you name a single example from the last 20 years of a club who has established in the top flight through patient organic growth.

Man City! 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Money is always useful: if it is through new equity rather than external debt it can be helpful but it won't be transformative. The key would be how it is spent. The temptation is always to spend it players and their wages, but imo it would be far better to develop the ground to bring in higher football and non football revenues* so that the revenue increase is permanently higher.

* E.g the South Stand has a lot of office space which is commercially let. The working from home change offers significant opportunity imo for commercial meeting spaces with good parking and easy walking distance from the train station.

Thanks Badger. Couldnt can’t argue with that but the subjective question is how much? There is potential for monies in the future that could be “transformative” - and I know there is hope that that will happen to a greater extent away from equity sale. 

The south stand offices changed prior to Covid when Broadland Housing took less office space. This was filled by NCFC mostly . There isn’t much spare  space there now and that income would barely lace a players boots. But I do take your point . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Avoid the rules? Is that the same as breaking them?

You are being mischievous. I don’t mean break the rules , I mean achieving a point where the offer doesn’t have to be made to the minority shareholders which is acceptable to the regulators . But I think you knew that . 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

organic growers use organic fertiliser, so depending on the source and application of the investment , could well be. Anyone expecting a money dump coming our way, shouldnt hold their breath.

So if we get a billionaire that has made their money via organic farming , we can say it’s organic growth? I like your style Wcork , you should be an advocate ! 

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

So if we get a billionaire that has made their money via organic farming , we can say it’s organic growth? I like your style Wcork , you should be an advocate ! 

Clarkson has a farm ....is that Organic? King Charles has a few bob and is into Organics...a nice counter to Saudi state funding.

16 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

No problems with Delia owning the club. Major problems with how she is running the club. 

That is a fair remark. Many may disagree and it is hard at times to agree with you. But just as we enter a crucial period for the club, we do need great assistance from the board in making the right decisions which they haven't since they sacked DF.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Read it again. Her husband of 52 years literally means exactly that - tyhat is how long they have been married.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Organic growth is currently alive an' kickin' in the Colney Vegetable Garden/Plot.....Stu sez 'Anyone for a spring onion?'.....

Delia has long wanted someone to invest but without her having to relinquish the control. And there is the rub- nobody is interested in that. Sounds like she isn’t happy with MA taking over fully and just wants him in the rich friend capacity- but he will balk at that. Might this be a friction behind the scenes or not? Who knows but it’s an odd interview that doesn’t tally with what club was saying previously 

Delia Smith  owns NCFC like it or not.

What she says goes.

Whether this sole dominance is right for a football club representing a city/county like Norwich/Norfolk in this day and age is appropriate is the question ... some like it, some don't.

Who knows, but it is undeniably becoming a bit of a joke scenario?

I will add that I have met her some one dozen and more times via acquaintances and not my own being and now in the distant past.

She was affable and friendly and did not exude remotely  the "I am" personality accredited to some of the famed.

Reading between the lines of all these latest press interviews she seems to have changed to the possible detriment of our club.

"Take it or leave it"

Edited by BroadstairsR

It just feels we have the worst of all worlds at the moment; owners with no money and a potential investor to won't invest anymore until he has more control.

The club is in limbo and we'll just chip away at what saleable assets (the good players) until we get to the next stage.

Worryingly it seems neither party has the drive to get this over the line. It had to be us didn't it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Delia Smith  owns NCFC like it or not.

What she says goes.

Whether this sole dominance is right for a football club representing a city/county like Norwich/Norfolk in this day and age is appropriate is the question ... some like it, some don't.

Who knows, but it is undeniably becoming a bit of a joke scenario?

No she doesn't.

You fixate on her but never admit why...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

No she doesn't.

1. I do not fixate on Delia Smith. I fixate on NCFC.

2. Please explain why the joint majority shareholder doesn't own NCFC

You seem to be lurking in a perpetual state of defensiveness yet never admit why.

What exactly are you so defensive about?

How do you see the immediate future of the club? 

You never seem to do anything but respond to the slightest criticism, groupie like, without listing any positives, which remain many.

Speak up man. Define your contentment. What exactly is your comfort zone?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

No she doesn't.

That may be true in the % share holding but the reality is she’s the front on Norwich City and has been since the start of their reign, she loves the media attention when it’s going well and hides or gets aggressive when we’re in a little bit of trouble. So people aim their guns at her direction when critical of the ownership.

I think that’s a fair reflection Nutty?

• Thanks 1