5 hours ago, shefcanary said:

The negotiation meeting for the sale will have an hour set aside in the diary. After 45 minutes of tough negotiations, Max will suddenly jump up, scream loudly and collapse like he has just been shot. The parties to the negotiations will become distracted, forget what they were arguing over and as they check on Max's condition, he gets up with a sly wink at his agent as if nothing has happened. Negotiations restart, with the buying club conceding and pay Max a couple of million more! 

You have been watching him play 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, komakino said:

Max & Todd were not meant to be here after our last relegation, much to the bemusement of She who must be obeyed.

While Max’s attitude has been first class, he should have banging the door down to get a move a long time ago, as it would have benefited him and Norwich City by selling him at his peak.

I’ve always understood that we are a selling club as that has always been the case, much to the chagrin of some previous managers. But if you are a selling club, you have to sell your players at the right time regardless of what their views are. In both Max’s & Todd’s case, the club have not maximised their assets and in the world of a fading self funding model, that is very bad business indeed. 

Good point when you look that we might get around 15 million combined total for both Cantwell and Max 

it makes you wonder if we had offers with hindsight we should of sold or pushed harder to sell when their stock was higher ,

Webber once quoting silly money what ever it was 20 /25/30 million each 

That is also why we should Cash in on Andy O in my opinion 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Good point when you look that we might get around 15 million combined total for both Cantwell and Max 

it makes you wonder if we had offers with hindsight we should of sold or pushed harder to sell when their stock was higher ,

Webber once quoting silly money what ever it was 20 /25/30 million each 

That is also why we should Cash in on Andy O in my opinion 

He clearly stated we wouldn’t except less than £30m for either player. That said I sincerely hope Max Aarons gets a move he deserves. The lad has class and it’s clearly time to move on for both parties. 

2 hours ago, RobJames said:

Idiot Post of the Week - though fair dos, a couple of the usual suspects have run you close in this thread

Aarons has said he wants to leave. The idea that we try and force him to stay so that we get nothing for him next summer is absurd.

There is no financial mismanagement. There was the pandemic when City were unable to sell tickets. You might have noticed COVID, it was in all the papers, and even on the telly., honestly. The loan is being paid in two stages. Not dependent upon any sales, otherwise the club would not have been able to state that as certain. 

If we had the loony view you and others on here have we would not have been able to sign Godfrey., Maddison, Aarons etc as players are not supposed to leave their club for better wages and a higher level. 

And as to the other idiot comment about how we should be able to stay in the PL, then do explain why Leeds, S'oton, WBA, Boro, Cardiff, Blackburn, H'Field, Swansea, Stoke, S'land, Bolton etc have not been able to stay in the PL.

And why if you hate NCFC do you spend so much time posting yp that hatted ?

And there was me assuming (wrongly obviously) that COVID was a national, indeed global virus! Clearly all other clubs escaped whilst 'little old Norwich' got infected and pretty much closed down. I really must pay closer attention next time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RobJames said:

There is no financial mismanagement. 

There clearly has been. Any decent organisation would ensure on an annual basis it would meet their budgets and Norwich city have not done that. 

At the beginning of 21/22 the club clearly stated there was no need for any significant external borrowing other than a short term overdraft around the January 22 transfer window when it was known media rights income received in arrears would need to be covered. However by the end of that season, the club borrowed £65m to cover future salary and past transfer costs, albeit the next two years' parachute payments would settle those loans. A good chunk of that £65m of parachute payments should have covered playing squad budgets (both salaries and transfers) for the next two seasons, as is the deemed purpose of such payments, not repay borrowings. A clear case of somehow the budgets that had been set had not been met.

The financial mismanagement arises where our parachute payments resulting from relegation in 2022 were already "spent" in the season there ending in two ways, rather than being available to assist a squad rebuild and ensure our immediate return to the EPL.

The general opinion was that our squad at the end of that season was deemed perfectly capable of achieving a return to the EPL via promotion the next season, but this goes against the club's message that on relegation our squads contracts were such that they reverted to championship levels and thus required no such support from parachute payments. That should have left a substantial amount of money available for the inevitable transfer dealing that occurs on relegation. However, the club clearly stated parachute money was needed for salaries contracted with players, clearly showing that salaries did not revert to lower levels which is the first source of the said financial mismanagement! 

The other source was that the past transfer costs were also being paid out of future parachute payments, which in theory is perfectly valid as long as those outlays achieve their goal, namely avoiding relegation from the EPL. As this was not achieved clearly the cash used was not used well. Indeed our failure to achieve promotion further underpinned our money was not being well spent, a clear case of additional financial mismanagement!

Some degree of governance over the spending of such large sums of money was lost by the Board over the past four to five years, leading to a position I think most agree on here where far too much money has been "pissed" up the wall. You can dress it up any which way you want about the vagaries of form, the incidences of injuries, the poor team management and bad luck in the transfer market, but the bottom line is that a lot of money that could have been available to help the club get back to the EPL was not available because cash was spent on the wrong players and management team.

A clear case of financial mismanagement as well as poor leadership, and dare I say it, a lack of real corporate governance!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

There clearly has been. Any decent organisation would ensure on an annual basis it would meet their budgets and Norwich city have not done that. 

Well on that basis you could say the same about pretty much every club in the football league!

I'd be happy with £10m in readies and a good sell-on. The potential is there, it's whether he fulfils it. A nice sell-on clause got us an extra £2.5m or so for Maddison, which should be worth three or four punts on promising youngsters.

No. A clear case of contradiction. Where is the certainty that money not spent to achieve promotion would then achieve promotion this time - when spending it ?

Were Norwich to be an isolated club who have spent money trying to achieve promotion/stay in the PL then they might be 'some' merit in your complaint. But is not isolated, is it ?. Those clubs that do are the temporary exception to the rule. As Southampton, Leeds and Leicester prove.  It could be argued that Forest, despite their millions spent, were not really good enough, it's just there were three worse.

Yours is a sentiment heard frequently by those who imagine City had discovered some secret formula that would guarantee constant success. When you do grasp that we are not exceptional then you can climb out, pick your toys up off the floor and appreciate what has been achieved. More so when set against so many other clubs of a similar size.

• Confused 1

I see Sergio Dest being linked with Palace and Fulham. I feel clubs have us over a barrel on Aarons I can see him leaving on loan on deadline day as I think lots of teams have reservations about him rightly or wrongly and then losing him for free in the summer.

I can not see Aarons be 1st choice at many PL teams a very good back up yes but 1st team maybe 3/4 clubs ,

i do not think max would go to sit on a bench ,

so maybe foreign Roma maybe seems to get mentioned a lot ,

does not seem many are that keen this could have been wrapped up ages ago when Webber announced he was leaving ,

i would of expected bids for Andy O and Aarons by now if the past interest was true

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Well on that basis you could say the same about pretty much every club in the football league!

And I'd agree - we all need to play on a level playing field after all. I would also add, we were supposed to be a "self funding, community club" so should be above all of that at least of survival purposes.  

Anyway, the financial mis-management is in the past. Let's be positive and say we are beyond that now. Although it will take a few sales to provide the finance to take the squad to another level even if that is true! 🙂 

35 minutes ago, For the future said:

He is not leaving Norwich City this year 

Our left back next season. 

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Our left back next season. 

In my eyes got to play a natural left footer there 

also I doubt max would want to play out of position for a season 

47 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

In my eyes got to play a natural left footer there 

also I doubt max would want to play out of position for a season 

Oh, I agree but if he stays he has to play somewhere and is better than both our current left backs. We now have two good right backs, one of which has just played for England U21s as a left back. 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2023 at 20:14, Yobocop said:

He’s going Roma 

You keep saying this - you must be pretty convinced!

It is odd that there have been so few whispers for players either in or out for a while, but I did see a link to that Mavididi being wanted by Leicester.

You’d think with the season starting in less than 4 weeks(!) things will start to kick off soon.

Edited by Branston Pickle
Punctuation!

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You keep saying this - you must be pretty convinced!

It is odd that there have been so few whispers for players either in or out for a while, but I did see a link to that Mavididi being wanted by Leicester.

You’d think with the season starting in less than 4 weeks(!) things will start to kick off soon.

Happy to share my source once it happens although I’m now starting to wonder the validity of it 

We would do well to get 10million, he was not in the top 3 right backs in the championship last season, miles off it and found out both times in the prem. 

I sometimes think that some of our supporters need to take a long hard look at themselves. Max Aarons has been a model professional at our club, the moment things turn sour they look for a scapegoat. I haven't seen a better fullback since Mark Bowen, he has one of the best records for appearances, he never stops running, when knocked over & gets fouled he just picks himself up never moans & goes again. He plays his best football when in an attacking team, its no coincidence that was when Farke was at the helm. You could say the same for Pukki, Krul, & a few others.

I for one will be extremely sad to see him go, in the right team he will flourish, Well done Max, I wish you well, & fully understand your reasoning, you bought a bit of joy & excitement to an astonishing time at Carrow Road. Thank you.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Mella Yella said:

I sometimes think that some of our supporters need to take a long hard look at themselves. Max Aarons has been a model professional at our club, the moment things turn sour they look for a scapegoat. I haven't seen a better fullback since Mark Bowen, he has one of the best records for appearances, he never stops running, when knocked over & gets fouled he just picks himself up never moans & goes again. He plays his best football when in an attacking team, its no coincidence that was when Farke was at the helm. You could say the same for Pukki, Krul, & a few others.

I for one will be extremely sad to see him go, in the right team he will flourish, Well done Max, I wish you well, & fully understand your reasoning, you bought a bit of joy & excitement to an astonishing time at Carrow Road. Thank you.

Unfortunately you need to be physical presence and a bit more defensive nouse to play in the prem, as was shown in both him prem seasons....

1 minute ago, Mella Yella said:

Max hasn't been the scapegoat at all. I've certainly never had a problem with him and I don't personally know any fans who have either. 

What I would say is that for both club and player, he's been here two seasons too long. Therefore his form has suffered and his value has suffered - which for a 'self-funding' club (sic) isn't good news either. 

Wherever he goes, he'll have my best wishes but he needs to be more ruthless if he wants to get to the top. 

2 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Unfortunately you need to be physical presence and a bit more defensive nouse to play in the prem, as was shown in both him prem seasons....

And where do we get that from? Maybe the bigger players round him weren't up to it

The trend for 3 or 4 strapping cbs in the back line and one or two similar sized players in the deep pivot (atones) conversion suggest size remains the preference.

However it costs, which is why wr ha e struggled to reinforce the centre backs, gibson at c£8m highlights that, and the pace and strength max has shows we can compete in the champ without have >6ft minimum requirement

1 hour ago, Mella Yella said:

when knocked over & gets fouled he just picks himself up never moans & goes again.

Max is the designated break up play man. Every match, around 60 to 70 minutes he will look for an opportunity to go down injured as if shot, writhe around in agony before receiving treatment, then will get up with a slight grin to the bench, who in the meantime have been coaching the rest of the team. Priceless?

This skill alone will make him invaluable to loads of teams, in particular I can see why Mourinho at Roma is so interested. 😉 

Who will inherit his crown next season?

Edited by shefcanary

On 11/07/2023 at 12:45, shefcanary said:

Max is the designated break up play man. Every match, around 60 to 70 minutes he will look for an opportunity to go down injured as if shot, writhe around in agony before receiving treatment, then will get up with a slight grin to the bench, who in the meantime have been coaching the rest of the team. Priceless?

This skill alone will make him invaluable to loads of teams, in particular I can see why Mourinho at Roma is so interested. 😉 

Who will inherit his crown next season?

Surely streetwise Ashley 😊

Had two terrible seasons to be honest .  As teams know he probably wants away will be lucky to get £5m + add ons . 

On 10/07/2023 at 13:49, norfolkngood said:

I can not see Aarons be 1st choice at many PL teams a very good back up yes but 1st team maybe 3/4 clubs ,

i do not think max would go to sit on a bench ,

so maybe foreign Roma maybe seems to get mentioned a lot ,

does not seem many are that keen this could have been wrapped up ages ago when Webber announced he was leaving ,

i would of expected bids for Andy O and Aarons by now if the past interest was true

Fully agree. Roma would be ideal for him a complete change of enviroment. Doubt get more than £10m if that as think he has gone backwards unfortunately.

Andy O different probably a loan.