Such a soul-crushing side to watch. Continuously create chances to win,  do the hard work and then do something to throw it all away again.

We're going to lose by single digit runs, aren't we?

Just now, Unhinged Canary said:

There you go.

What were you all so worried about?

Never in doubt😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Never in doubt😉

Phew🥳💥👍

Should be 2-1 up in the series. And some interesting selection choices for the next test. Foakes in? I would say yes. Anderson back? Not sure.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

****ing hopeless.

I stand by my earlier statement.😁

Blimey, I'm more stressed with that than I am with City.

Well done Brook, Woakes and Wood.👏

I've never turned the TV off and on so many times. Off when I couldn't stand the tension and then back on when I had to have another peep.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I've never turned the TV off and on so many times. Off when I couldn't stand the tension and then back on when I had to have another peep.

Same with my radio. There's smoke coming out the back of it.🤣

• Haha 1

Let's be honest, we should be ahead in the series really. Love seeing Wood with the confidence to smash that for 6. Keep him fit and the 3-2 is on.

• Like 1

We could well have seen the end of Jimmy.

He hasn't been quite at his best thus far and in Woakes there is a bowler equal in craft in the conditions that Anderson excels, yet offers so much more to the batting line-up.

The only bowler Jimmy could replace is Robinson, but he has more future, although he might be an injury doubt.

28 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Should be 2-1 up in the series. And some interesting selection choices for the next test. Foakes in? I would say yes. Anderson back? Not sure.

Foakes for definite - far too many drops from Bairstow and he’s not really getting runs (just in one innings this series).  He should go and rediscover his keeping touch for Yorks, ready for the odi’s.

Edited by Branston Pickle

25 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It's at Old Trafford, Robinson not impressed and an injury doubt, I think he's a certainty for it.

I'd like Foakes in but think they'll keep faith with Bairstow, in line with their not wanting to create a fear of failure atmosphere.

I should have had more faith when @ricardo said we'd lose, generally a safe bet to back the opposite of his predictions!

Phew what a remarkable result, gave up when Bairstow went.  Getting 250 should have been straight forward but some kamikaze batting.  Too many batters out of form and inconsistent with shot selection.  Need a keeper who can catch and feild down legside Bairstow gets in for his batting but fails to score.  Must be replaced no sentiments.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Great atmosphere, so much better away from London. 

Next time around they're all in the south. Big mistake. 

I would go for

Edgbaston

Headingly 

Old Trafford 

Trent Bridge 

anywhere but Lords 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

We were never going to make it easy were? Aus kept pegging us back when we seemed to get our noses ahead, once Bairstow went it looked pretty bleak, but always felt we were only one half decent partnership away from basically getting over the line - and fortunately that came with Brook and Woakes. Whew.

Atmosphere a bit strange, very tense and quiet for the opening period and didn’t really get going until we started to get that target down to about 50/60. I think it was maybe nerves from the crowd knowing everything was on the line. 

Foakes in for Old Trafford please!

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would question Bairstow’s selection as been very iffy with gloves and bat!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Great atmosphere, so much better away from London. 

I remember being at Edgbaston for the infamous riots during the 1987 test match against Pakistan. 

My god, what an atmosphere, more akin to a football derby than a cricket match.

Definitely a more reserved crowd in London.

Great that the series is still alive, although the tension is going to get even worse. So a handy new set of pants and a large sofa will be ordered.

Nearly broke the remote switching between Sky 404 and the Grand Prix on 406 every couple of minutes but wonderful to see us beat the shackle draggers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jimmy for Robinson I'd have thought.

The Bairstow/Folkes argument has bored me to tears but the time feels right to make the change, I hope they have the balls to do it.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

59 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Jimmy for Robinson I'd have thought.

The Bairstow/Folkestone argument has bored me to tears but the time feels right to make the change, I hope they have the balls to do it.

Tongue for Robinson for me, but it's close. Give Jimmy a last throw of the dice and he could be inspired. He's capable. 

P.S. Folkestone is a bit of a sh_te hole actually. Dover is nicer. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

People forget Bairstow won us three tests last summer with some absolutely ridiculous batting, the likes of which we’ve rarely seen before. Outrageous to suggest he should be dropped.

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I remember being at Edgbaston for the infamous riots during the 1987 test match against Pakistan. 

My god, what an atmosphere, more akin to a football derby than a cricket match.

Definitely a more reserved crowd in London.

The toffs in the long room helped galvanise this series though. I honestly believe we’ll do them now if the weather stays fair. 

• Like 1