1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

You say that, but if it wasn't for Australia getting the better of the conditions when they bowled and took wickets during the only day when conditions favoured the bowling team, we would have won the first test at a canter.

And dropped catches cost us the second. If we took our chances at the same rate the Aussies have, then it's 2-0 with the current chase being 60-70 runs lower and in the bag.

Bad fortune and poor catching has cost us, not Bazball.

Not forgetting the Bairstow incident which effectively scuppered our chances in the second, despite Stoke's heroics. These were being saved up for later.

28 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not forgetting the Bairstow incident which effectively scuppered our chances in the second, despite Stoke's heroics. These were being saved up for later.

100%. Stokes with Bairstow at the other end could have done untold damage. How many singles did he refuse to protect Broad? At least 10, wouldn't have had to have done that with Bairstow.

Bad luck and bad catching. Different weather and holding onto the ball and tomorrow's chase is for the Ashes and Stokes and McCullum's Bazball is lauded as the greatest thing in sport. Fine, fine margins.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

100%. Stokes with Bairstow at the other end could have done untold damage. How many singles did he refuse to protect Broad? At least 10, wouldn't have had to have done that with Bairstow.

Bad luck and bad catching. Different weather and holding onto the ball and tomorrow's chase is for the Ashes and Stokes and McCullum's Bazball is lauded as the greatest thing in sport. Fine, fine margins.

It isn't bad luck though. There have been so many wickets thrown away. The idea we've just been unlucky just doesn't stand up.

I don’t buy into bad luck! The Aussies have stepped it up to win the first two tests, we have been in the game granted, but over the five day test we’ve lost due to our poor bowling just needing two wickets with 70 odd runs and then gifting stupid wickets knowing that short ball tactics was losing us wickets we still played daft shots!

This test is open for a win, a pitch which has helped our bowlers and hopefully a good sunny day should see us get the runs tomorrow, but it’s the Aussies and I think they have a canny ability to step it up when needed, might not be so easy as that daft win predictor on Sky has us to win!

58 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You say that, but if it wasn't for Australia getting the better of the conditions when they bowled and took wickets during the only day when conditions favoured the bowling team, we would have won the first test at a canter.

And dropped catches cost us the second. If we took our chances at the same rate the Aussies have, then it's 2-0 with the current chase being 60-70 runs lower and in the bag.

Bad fortune and poor catching has cost us, not Bazball.

We’ve had some awful dismissals and some very lucky escapes. It’s all relative, but there’s a time to play Bazball and it isn’t 100% of the time. I believe if we go conservatively enough and scuff up the new ball then for 2 days play we have it in our hands. I also think if we win doing that everyone will say it’s the right decision and it’s a better managed game plan than the previous two tests. 

I love Bazball, but test cricket is more than having an arsenal of great shot takers imo. Without Wood and Woakes stepping up in our bowling attack our batters would but have had a sniff with how they’ve played. Couple need a good knock imo

3 hours ago, king canary said:

It isn't bad luck though. There have been so many wickets thrown away. The idea we've just been unlucky just doesn't stand up.

Has everyone forgotten what we were like pre-Bazball?

England throwing wickets away isn't a new thing.

We're playing the best team in the world, I dread to think what would have happened had we played Root captaincy cricket. I suspect it would have been a 10-wicket defeat 1st Test and a 100-run plus defeat in the 2nd.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we've always managed to look both great and poor in equal measure at the best of times. Some of our greatest batting has come as a result of poor fielding. Yet again today we somehow have a chance to win despite some very questionable batting and poor catching. But that's why we love the sport, right?

• Like 3

I’m at Headingley for today. Our prospects for a good watch were absolutely saved by the rain yesterday and the last 2 hours of the day, it’s now set up pretty much perfectly for plenty of cricket and an exciting finish!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Probably 50 runs too many.

I thought that last night. We let Head have his head and those sixes plus support from the tail has put us in a position we aren't familiar with. Two full days to get 251. Bazball or grind it out.

And now we are messing about with the batting lineup with no success.

Behind the couch Ricardo?

Edited by keelansgrandad

15 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It shouldn't be. Two and a bit days and improving conditions 250 should not be an issue for this side.

Play sensibly and it's 1-2 going to Old Trafford.

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

My boy was watching late on Friday and is still getting to grips with cricket. He asked me if we were going to win and I said, "If they set below 200, we should win, between 200-250 it's anyone's guess and over 250 Australia should win".

Going unbeaten at close yesterday effectively made the target well in the middle of that 200-250 range. This morning's two wickets probably swing it back towards the Aussies though.

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I thought that last night. We let Head have his head and those sixes plus support from the tail has put us in a position we aren't familiar with. Two full days to get 251. Bazball or grind it out.

And now we are messing about with the batting lineup with no success.

Behind the couch Ricardo?

Hoping for the best.

14 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

It shouldn't be. Two and a bit days and improving conditions 250 should not be an issue for this side.

Play sensibly and it's 1-2 going to Old Trafford.

Agreed. Surely a neutral would say 251 is eminently achievable?

17 hours ago, king canary said:

No, it’s poor skill/execution rather than bad luck when you drop chances, certainly the easier ones.

We were definitely unlucky with that batting session in poor light at Edgbaston, but perhaps that was made up by the session yesterday as the conditions feel far more friendly today.

Should one of these fall early in the next session, and Brook is looking both very good and very bad, then it will be up to Jonny Bairstow to redeem himself for, not just the dropped chances, but also for his contribution to the last loss. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

England looking good. Glad it’s Bairstow to come in at 7 rather than Moeen. We should win from here. 

You were saying? ☹️

• Sad 1

Bairstow must be out of lives now. Foakes for the fourth test. The tail is going to have to wag something special.

Both sides struggled to get near 250 in the first 3 innings so why anyone thought 250 was easy in the 4th is a mystery  to me.

• Like 1

Hahaha ffs.

Bazball! Pick the guy who can't keep as a keeper because he hit ball hard and go wheeeeeee. 

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Both sides struggled to get near 250 in the first 3 innings so why anyone thought 250 was easy in the 4th is a mystery  to me.

It should be a fairly simple chase provided you dont try and waft at every ball. Calypso Collapso again...

Just absolutely no common sense allowed in this team. Bairstow out, two wickets in 10 minutes what does Woakes do? Attempt a huge drive and nearly nick off.

Brainless cricket but woohoo we score quickly.. 

Edited by king canary

And the Aussies apply a little pressure Bairstow goes playing a rubbish shot. Can’t catch can’t bat and is fragile on mind……might be too late but must be dropped now!