One of the promoted sides could do a lot worse.  Did wonder if Aarons might tempt Luton since he started there, but perhaps he has sights set a bit higher. 

Godfrey's biggest issue is that he hasn't really established himself in a position. I think he's prem league quality and has some great physical attributes, but he needs to really cement into a position and polish his craft there.

• Like 4

He’ll never be a world class CB without some world class coaching. Physically he’s great but doesn’t read the game particularly well or play in a system that works to his strength. Would benefit greatly from a Guardiola system. 

Our coaches and Godfrey himself were adamant that he's a CB and he's rarely played there for Everton. He's mostly been used as a right back so it's hard to judge really when he's been played out of position

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Our coaches and Godfrey himself were adamant that he's a CB and he's rarely played there for Everton.

Was that through necessity of building a new CB at the club, though? 

I think he'd make a great Defensive Mid and I'm sure that's where he started.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Was that through necessity of building a new CB at the club, though? 

I think he'd make a great Defensive Mid and I'm sure that's where he started.

I don't know to be honest. I know where you're coming from but if there's one area where Daniel Farke was really top class it was developing players and if he thought Godfrey was a CB I'm willing to go with that. 

46 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Yeah....WE should get Ben back here on a free and play him as a CDM.....

Time to reignite the CDM Ben Godfrey thread. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since Godfrey has been at Everton he has played under Ancelotti, Benitez, Lampard and Dyche. Only Ancelotti would play a style of football that suits his strengths. Godfrey will not look good in a side that defends deep where the onus is on him to win lots of headers. It's why he has been played at full back so much as it's less important there. He can still be an excellent player in a side that looks to press high up the pitch and play out from the back. 

It reminds me in a way of when people praise Brighton's recruitment, it's not only that they sign good players, they sign players knowing they'll fit the way they want to play and then plug them into a well drilled system. 

If Godfrey was available to us we'd be insane not to go for him. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Decemberists said:

I'd take him back if it was £7 million or so.

If we sold Andy O, he'd be a great replacement. 

As for the newly promoted side thought - I think this will be the lowest spending season for the newly promoted sides for some time.

Luton don't have a lot and have to spend to bring Kenilworth Rd up to regulation.

Sheffield Utd said to have next to no money

Burnley probably will have the biggest pot - but even that won't be huge. 

I doubt any of them will take a chance on a player who has had injury issues and failed to impress even in a poor Everton defence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Yeah....WE should get Ben back here on a free and play him as a CDM.....

Wonder if the idea of him at CDM has ever been voiced before.....😏

As much as the Godfrey for DM call is a meme I think he'd actually be ideal for Wagner's hyper energetic ideal. He's an athlete and he's decent on the ball.

Obviously not a chance he'll come back though.

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Our coaches and Godfrey himself were adamant that he's a CB and he's rarely played there for Everton. He's mostly been used as a right back so it's hard to judge really when he's been played out of position

They've played him as a left back on occasion as well. He impressed with us as a centre back then they try and make him something he isn't. 

Since Dyche came in Godfrey hardly featured. I may be making this up, but wasn't there reports of a falling out?

Not a chance of getting him back though 

Edited by Don’t be Krul

If we can get him for free, would jump at it. Even though he is 'off the boil' could do a good job for us in CMF where we are too delicate.

1 hour ago, Decemberists said:

I'd take him back if it was £7 million or so.

I suspect he would blow our wage structure.

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

Time to reignite the CDM Ben Godfrey thread. lol

Ask a certain Mr Guardiola about pushing a CB into CDM.

• Like 1

Godfrey Has most of the tools to be a top class CB , his pace is the best asset ,

you can see Godfrey has great pace unlike our supposed to be super fast Hanley !! 

The one thing i think he lacks is bravery to stick his head in where it hurts ,

i have watched him closely At corners he rarely is the one going in head first ,

You can't really blame or criticise the player if he's played out of position - we've seen it here with Idah and Sargent out on the wing.

I'd have Godfrey back in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

Was never, ever, ever going to be a PL quality centre back and I never understood why any coach thought he would be. He still might be a decent CDM, but even there I don't think he's forceful enough. I said at the time £25m was a blinding deal, just as £15m was for Lewis. Webber takes a lot of flak but I can't think of a sale which has been anything but brilliant.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You can't really blame or criticise the player if he's played out of position - we've seen it here with Idah and Sargent out on the wing.

You certainly can. I've seen far more people criticising Idah/Sargent whilst played out of position than not.

37 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I suspect he would blow our wage structure.

I would assume we don’t want to be dishing out Pukki level wages this year. But we can give some big promotion bonuses.

Internet says he is on around £70,000 a week. Maybe we could stretch to half that and bonuses, so a big cut - but if sold is he going to get a 70k contract elsewhere?

Perhaps one of those deals where Everton cover some of his wages for the remainder of his Everton deal in order to get most of the wages off their books could just about make it viable?

In other news. Has anyone ever noticed footballers earn a lot?