Be interesting to see what happens with Cantwell. Long term will he find consistency and kick on or will whatever affected him at Norwich creep back in at some point. He’s undoubtedly a talent when on form, shame we couldn’t sort whatever issue he had.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't miss someone who makes it very clear he does not want to play for you though.

I was referring to the man as a player rather than the boy as a 'rebel.'

What we missed was the decent player for us from a couple of seasons ago, not the sullen bit-part player he’d become.  He’d have been no different for us in the run-in.  He needed to leave, it is what it is. I don’t have a problem him re-finding himself, I’m not sure SPL is a real challenge - Celtic apart - though. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What we missed was the decent player for us from a couple of seasons ago, not the sullen bit-part player he’d become.  He’d have been no different for us in the run-in.  He needed to leave, it is what it is. I don’t have a problem him re-finding himself, I’m not sure SPL is a real challenge - Celtic apart - though. 

Ignoring Celtic. Rangers, maybe Hearts too most of the SPL is about midtable league one quality to be honest

No one ever doubted his talent, but he's still a sulky self-obsessed kid with a massive attitude problem. Glad he's gone. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ignoring Celtic. Rangers, maybe Hearts too most of the SPL is about midtable league one quality to be honest

On what basis do you say that? Do any of us watch Scottish football to say that?

You really think what we served up this season would have won the SPL?

Todd obviously plays better with better players around him.

And until we really know what his bad period was all about, we can only reflect on his ability. And when he was playing with Emi, Teemu, Skipp, Max, Ben, Jamal et al, he was a top player with a decent value.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 2

Four goals and four assists in 13 games, I think. I am very pleased for him - I think that people are too quick to judge things about which they have very little knowledge. Few, if any of us know what went on.

Good luck to him.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Four goals and four assists in 13 games, I think. I am very pleased for him - I think that people are too quick to judge things about which they have very little knowledge. Few, if any of us know what went on.

Good luck to him.

Quite.

He's one of the last players I would have thought succeeding in the most hostile atmosphere of Scottish football. It seemed a disastrous move from the outset.

It shows the boy has more strength of character than was often credited with when he was at City. A greater degree of maturity might have taken hold.

I hope he continues to do well and that we haven't seen the last of Todd Cantwell in the English game. 

• Like 3

I watched some extended highlights on YouTube last night. From that he looked to have put in a energetic and high quality display.

It made me feel quite sad actually…he didn’t even sit on the turf after the game, ruing how Rangers had lost the league title about 3 months ago…

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

On what basis do you say that? Do any of us watch Scottish football to say that?

You really think what we served up this season would have won the SPL?

Todd obviously plays better with better players around him.

And until we really know what his bad period was all about, we can only reflect on his ability. And when he was playing with Emi, Teemu, Skipp, Max, Ben, Jamal et al, he was a top player with a decent value.

I watched an Aberdeen game recently, it was turgid and I've genuinely seen better quality watching League 2, and they're 3rd in the league, so yes this Norwich side qualifies for Europe up there easily.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I watched an Aberdeen game recently, it was turgid and I've genuinely seen better quality watching League 2, and they're 3rd in the league, so yes this Norwich side qualifies for Europe up there easily.

So one match, and we have had many turgid matches this season, is the answer?

He's a far better player than people on here are willing to admit, far better than anyone we have left in the squad and far better than anyone we could afford to sign until we get a massive injection of cash.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Petriix said:

He's a far better player than people on here are willing to admit, far better than anyone we have left in the squad and far better than anyone we could afford to sign until we get a massive injection of cash.

He was far better than anyone when he wanted to be. Which sadly didn't occur enough. 

I'm happy to see him doing well, I do think we'll regret the circumstances of his moving on.  

• Like 2

In Norwich, Cantwell was once the coming kid. Reared within walking distance of Carrow Road.

I reckon the reporter's previous job was writing the descriptions for holiday hotels, "only ten minutes from the beach".

• Haha 1

For Heavens sake, so far he's played mostly against teams that would struggle in League One and Celtic's reserves. Let's judge him this time next year and see if Rangers have won anything. He didn't want to play for us anymore. Nor did Buendia. FFS get over it.

• Like 2

I had a feeling he might do well. He's always been a player who will turn up for the big games but looks disinterested when we were playing a lower team in both divisions. At Rangers with their fanbase all games are big and the standard of football in that league outside the top 3 or 4 is appalling so he'll get to look a cut above most games, i think it was Maddison who said he thought the quality of L1 was maybe a bit higher than the SPL when asked about his Aberdeen loan so that should tell you all you need to know. 

I know a lot of fans didn't like him because of his hair and the fact he posts on social media but I always rated him. I do wonder why he downed tools though, I don't think it was because of Farke because he had the same issue under Smith. If i was to guess maybe he didn't feel like Webber was paying him what he thinks he's worth, we also know he had a bereavement at the time and maybe it wasn't handled well within the club, I've heard from someone (admittedly third hand information though) that the Gilmour rumour was absolute nonsense so it wasn't that. 

It's a shame, he looked every bit a good PL level player for the first half of our first PL season and then all of the next season he was fantastic. Whatever the issue was even if it was Cantwell himself causing the issue the fact we had to play a whole season without him and only got less than 1m for him in the end is a huge failure for the club, he's not Maddison or Buendia but he's much better than a 1m player. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

For Heavens sake, so far he's played mostly against teams that would struggle in League One and Celtic's reserves. Let's judge him this time next year and see if Rangers have won anything. He didn't want to play for us anymore. Nor did Buendia. FFS get over it.

….as would the team he has left…….

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's one of the last players I would have thought succeeding in the most hostile atmosphere of Scottish football. It seemed a disastrous move from the outset.

It shows the boy has more strength of character than was often credited with when he was at City. A greater degree of maturity might have taken hold. 

Early days. He’s not been there long so can’t say he’s succeeded as yet.

Review in 12/18 months and if he’s still there maybe a corner has been turned.

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

……. He didn't want to play for us anymore. Nor did Buendia. FFS get over it.

Far too simplistic in my view.

Emi wanted to go. He felt he could do better and made that obvious and we got a good fee.

Unfortunately, however unpalatable it is to hear, Cantwell is a management failure. He may well have been difficult to get the best out of, but the people paid very highly to do that failed miserably. Our management team couldn’t figure what was needed to maximise what we had with Cantwell (motivate, cajole, discipline, encourage, sympathise - whatever). If they tried all they could and it was clear they couldn’t manage him then they should have made that known much, much sooner and he could have been sold for big money. We had a talent that should have been worth millions to the club but instead we ended up with neither the player nor the fee. That is a huge waste for a club our size.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Far too simplistic in my view.

Emi wanted to go. He felt he could do better and made that obvious and we got a good fee.

Unfortunately, however unpalatable it is to hear, Cantwell is a management failure. He may well have been difficult to get the best out of, but the people paid very highly to do that failed miserably. Our management team couldn’t figure what was needed to maximise what we had with Cantwell (motivate, cajole, discipline, encourage, sympathise - whatever). If they tried all they could and it was clear they couldn’t manage him then they should have made that known much, much sooner and he could have been sold for big money. We had a talent that should have been worth millions to the club but instead we ended up with neither the player nor the fee. That is a huge waste for a club our size.

I don’t recall any official offers being made for him in that period. Can’t sell what people won’t buy. So plan b, renew his contract? Except he won’t sign it and it’s mad to offer a contract of high value terms to a serially underperforming fringe player. 

As some have said, there is (sometimes) a player in there. Sometimes isn’t worth the hassle. If it was then in spite of the three managers that couldn’t get a tune out of him (except one if those managers actually did for a few months, so what changed?), he was hardly beating off suitors for his signature with a ****ty stick when he went to Rangers. 

Good luck to him. Hope he keeps playing well and has a great chance to impress in the Europa. But as a norwich fan, I don’t miss him one bit.,

14 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I don’t recall any official offers being made for him in that period. Can’t sell what people won’t buy. So plan b, renew his contract? Except he won’t sign it and it’s mad to offer a contract of high value terms to a serially underperforming fringe player. 

As some have said, there is (sometimes) a player in there. Sometimes isn’t worth the hassle. If it was then in spite of the three managers that couldn’t get a tune out of him (except one if those managers actually did for a few months, so what changed?), he was hardly beating off suitors for his signature with a ****ty stick when he went to Rangers. 

Good luck to him. Hope he keeps playing well and has a great chance to impress in the Europa. But as a norwich fan, I don’t miss him one bit.,

I agree with pretty much all of that and there certainly weren’t offers during the end of his time with us. However there must have been significant interest when Webber was publicly talking about him being worth £30 million. Like it or not something when wrong to go from that situation to us not being able to give him away a few years later. My point was that we didn’t spot something was wrong anywhere near early enough and either a) sort out the problem or b) cash in while we still could. 

As a Norwich fan I miss the £20 million we have let fritter through our fingers.

• Like 2