Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yep. Don't think anyone would say that we don't need a winger right now.

Except Cambridge it seems.

Personally, I'd prefer to ditch the wingers, but we're clearly not going down that route. Doesn't make too much sense when Rowe and Springett are potentially two youngsters to be readied either.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Personally, I'd prefer to ditch the wingers, but we're clearly not going down that route. Doesn't make too much sense when Rowe and Springett are potentially two youngsters to be readied either.

Makes sense to me. I’ve been uneasy with Rowe suddenly being viewed as a potential first team regular on the back of a couple of appearances off the bench prior to a longish injury lay off. He may or may not break through for us but we should not be relying on him, Springett or Placheta 

So we'll have Rowe, Tzolis, Springett and Placheta potentially lurking and warming the bench.

I suspect at least one of them will be out on loan or sold.

It’s interesting that we have two more wingers, we do need quality wingers to get the best out of the Barnes/Sargent combo, with the way it looks the wingback days might be numbered and Wagner will keep the back four to do the defending, playing a more conventional 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 style.

So the call for a holding midfielder and a number ten aren’t needed so much, fits our current squad better.

So we can assume Aaron’s, Plachets, Rashica will probably be on their way, can’t see Omobamadele going as we’re going to need cover there.

I think we can certainly see a move to a more solid game, build on clean sheets and wins will come. Let’s be honest we’ve conceded far too many even in our championship winning seasons. It’s going to be interesting to see how the players adapt, the style of football, how it’s received by the fans and the results it will generate.

34 minutes ago, Indy said:

how it’s received by the fans and the results it will generate.

Inevitably, despite all our love for Farkeball, if the results are good the fans will be happy

• Like 2

12 hours ago, king canary said:

Timm Klose?

He was actually German. The reason he played for the Swiss national team was because his parents were both Swiss

1 hour ago, Indy said:

It’s interesting that we have two more wingers, we do need quality wingers to get the best out of the Barnes/Sargent combo, with the way it looks the wingback days might be numbered and Wagner will keep the back four to do the defending, playing a more conventional 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 style.

So the call for a holding midfielder and a number ten aren’t needed so much, fits our current squad better.

I'm pretty sure you'll find under Wagner that if he stays consistent with his previous approach the full backs will be at least as attacking as they've ever been for us - they'll be expected to be pushing beyond the wingers who'll come inside a little.  So more or less a 4-2-3-1 in defence and something like a 3-1-4-2 in attack (depending on where you draw the lines.)

I think both Sainz and Fassnacht - although starting off wide - both have the capacity to play as more of an inside forward type of wide player and will be expected to drift inside to allow the fullbacks to provide the width.  Both are also pretty adept at the defensive side of the game from what I've read so will at least fit in with the high press approach.

Jury remains very much out for me on the overall tactical approach, but at least we have a plan and are looking at finding some players suited to it instead of the square peg round hole approach of the past couple of seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

He was actually German. The reason he played for the Swiss national team was because his parents were both Swiss

Raised in Switzerland since he was 5, so I think its much of a muchness.

I do think we will be playing with one target man flanked by 2 mobile faster forwards / wingers  who implement the press and drop deeper to support defence as needed, Sargent and idah have also played that support forward role,  fluid 433 4231 depending on possession.

1 hour ago, Barham Blitz said:

I'm pretty sure you'll find under Wagner that if he stays consistent with his previous approach the full backs will be at least as attacking as they've ever been for us

That's my impression of pre-season so far, the full-backs will be looking to overload that side - Stacey has been brilliant at it so far.

I noticed a few times that Rowe seems to be instructed to come inside when Stacey makes that overlapping run, and that could be interesting.

Previously we'd see Max taking the ball so far and then passing the ball backwards as the wide player drops behind, and then it slowly works back to the keeper and fizzles out, crowd boo's etc.

If we're going this route then we've got to show some balls in our physicality and attack with intent and create a torrid time for opposition fullbacks. 

2 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

I'm pretty sure you'll find under Wagner that if he stays consistent with his previous approach the full backs will be at least as attacking as they've ever been for us - they'll be expected to be pushing beyond the wingers who'll come inside a little.  So more or less a 4-2-3-1 in defence and something like a 3-1-4-2 in attack (depending on where you draw the lines.)

I think both Sainz and Fassnacht - although starting off wide - both have the capacity to play as more of an inside forward type of wide player and will be expected to drift inside to allow the fullbacks to provide the width.  Both are also pretty adept at the defensive side of the game from what I've read so will at least fit in with the high press approach.

Jury remains very much out for me on the overall tactical approach, but at least we have a plan and are looking at finding some players suited to it instead of the square peg round hole approach of the past couple of seasons.

Buendia-esque. Although probably not got the same eye for a killer pass, but when he wasn't chucking tanties at being fouled, that was the most striking part of Buendia's game - he grafted and pressed hard.

• Like 1

Wonder if Zaha heading to Galatasaray puts pay to a deal for Rashica.

14 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Wonder if Zaha heading to Galatasaray puts pay to a deal for Rashica.

Seeing as Gala have little transfer monies, I would say so. Zaha will be on a fair whack and they've signed another player too in the meantime. I suppose it would boil down to whether Rashica is having another cry fest having been back with us or not. He may be worth keeping round till January unless he becomes troublesome again and wants out, if he doesnt already still.

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

That's my impression of pre-season so far, the full-backs will be looking to overload that side - Stacey has been brilliant at it so far.

I noticed a few times that Rowe seems to be instructed to come inside when Stacey makes that overlapping run, and that could be interesting.

Previously we'd see Max taking the ball so far and then passing the ball backwards as the wide player drops behind, and then it slowly works back to the keeper and fizzles out, crowd boo's etc.

If we're going this route then we've got to show some balls in our physicality and attack with intent and create a torrid time for opposition fullbacks. 

Yep, it favours wingers coming in to crack one or hit a short through ball. Could work quite well. Barnes holding the ball up should get the wingers into the game more consistently, and that should encourage the full-backs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

The overloads are key - both in an attacking sense and defensively with numbers available for that high press with potentially two strikers, two wide attackers and two fullbacks all in the final third.  

Great if it works - my concerns are and have always been the very big hole behind that press on the counter. 

But at least both Sainz and potentially Fassnacht are used to and seem to relish that side of the game.  I really wouldn't fancy our chances with Onel and AN Other of our wide attacking options being so fundamental defensively - I suspect it is with this in mind that we have been linked with so many wide attackers and why Tzolis isn't getting much pre-season game time.

I also agree (albeit on very limited evidence thus far) re. Stacey.  Looks an absolute find for that role and I'm slightly surprised Bournemouth let his contract run down as I doubt we will be paying him more than them.  No doubt their reasons will become clear as the season progresses, but an  impressive start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Barnes holding the ball up should get the wingers into the game more consistently, and that should encourage the full-backs.

I know a lot of people like to **** on Idah, but I think he's got hell of a strike on him when he pulls the trigger outside the box.  If this style of attack leads to more stray balls on the edge of the area he could surprise a few when coming in late to a game.

Again, I'm probably being far too optimistic here.  But I few times I remember him striking the ball so sweetly, and I guess that's what they see in training a lot.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I know a lot of people like to **** on Idah, but I think he's got hell of a strike on him when he pulls the trigger outside the box.  If this style of attack leads to more stray balls on the edge of the area he could surprise a few when coming in late to a game.

Again, I'm probably being far too optimistic here.  But I few times I remember him striking the ball so sweetly, and I guess that's what they see in training a lot.

He's got a snapshot on him, but I think he needs a winger. A lot of the time he's pushed out wide and like Sargent, he should be down the middle.

Think Idah's more dangerous kept up top though. Not sure he's the guy for through balls but I reckon if we get crosses in, he could cause plenty of trouble if they're whipped in, as he's fast and strong enough when rushing in to disrupt defenders. His main weakness for me is not his touch, but that he really seems too laid back. Needs a few videos of opposition defenders snogging his partner, methinks.

EDIT: Shame these don't work... 

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 1

With Fassnacht on the way in, I wonder who will go the other way in the winger Russian roulette.

Hernandez, Sainz, Rashica, Rowe, Springett, Placheta, Tzolis, Fassnacht seems too many for two starting places. I reckon Rash, Tzolis to go and one of Springett/Placheta out on loan.

13 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Twitter rumours suggesting Camacho has turned down NCFC offer.

Would not be gutted at that. His stats are appalling 

28 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Twitter rumours suggesting Camacho has turned down NCFC offer.

There was a story put on this site several hours ago…wants to stay in Portugal, but we don’t need both him and Fassnacht (and the latter’s stats are way better anyway)

Edited by Branston Pickle

27 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

With Fassnacht on the way in, I wonder who will go the other way in the winger Russian roulette.

Hernandez, Sainz, Rashica, Rowe, Springett, Placheta, Tzolis, Fassnacht seems too many for two starting places. I reckon Rash, Tzolis to go and one of Springett/Placheta out on loan.

Agree with your summary. Placheta on loan for me. His contract expires next year if memory serves and he’s been surplus to requirements for so very long now. I like where our team is going for now. Be interested to see who else comes in if anyone. 

31 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I'd be inclined to say thinking of them just as wingers might be slightly misplaced and you're seeing a combination of wingers and attacking midfielders that start wide-ish. Buendia started on a wing, but didn't really play like a classic winger much at all. Wouldn't be totally surprised to see Sainz (from what I've heard) or even Tzolis spend some time at number 10 or more in the hole at least.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

Agree with your summary. Placheta on loan for me. His contract expires next year if memory serves and he’s been surplus to requirements for so very long now. I like where our team is going for now. Be interested to see who else comes in if anyone. 

Placeheta has been given fair amount of game time in friendlies and has apparently done 'not bad' (which is faint praise i know). I'm bit surprised he has been used far more than Tzolis. I do wonder if this is to give Wagner one last chance to see if there is anything there before we send him on loan again. 

Also has benefit that it puts him in window for other clubs so they can see he is fit and ready to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

For the time being, with Rashica back in the house & seemingly Gala having moved their interests elsewhere, Placheta looks the obvious choice to move on. Has done literally nothing for us, & with Camacho another link (despite being turned down) it does suggest we're looking at a refresh out wide, and imo Placheta going wouldn't upset any of us.

Are we happy that creativity sits mostly around Sara & Nunez in the middle and that's very thin on the ground if one or either gets injured?

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

For the time being, with Rashica back in the house & seemingly Gala having moved their interests elsewhere, Placheta looks the obvious choice to move on. Has done literally nothing for us, & with Camacho another link (despite being turned down) it does suggest we're looking at a refresh out wide, and imo Placheta going wouldn't upset any of us.

Are we happy that creativity sits mostly around Sara & Nunez in the middle and that's very thin on the ground if one or either gets injured?

Good point about a creative AM. Kind of forgotten we’re short of a play maker. Must’ve been the last few sh1te seasons without one that the position had slipped my mind :  )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Placeheta has been given fair amount of game time in friendlies and has apparently done 'not bad' (which is faint praise i know). I'm bit surprised he has been used far more than Tzolis. I do wonder if this is to give Wagner one last chance to see if there is anything there before we send him on loan again. 

Also has benefit that it puts him in window for other clubs so they can see he is fit and ready to play.

Seems possible re Placheta - people need to remember that DW (and his team) will not have seen anything much of him since coming here, as he was injured.  Those moaning that he’s had as much/more time than Tzolis in preseason seem to forget that Tzolis returned in January and played a fair few games - DW doesn’t need to see him as much as is already aware of his ability.