Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

42 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

CDM or Sporting Director? 👍

Sadly more chance of it being a Sporting Director or even the loch ness monster than a CDM!

1 hour ago, Wibble said:

By Monday 5pm we will have a new face in the building !

New clock going up in the NCFC offices?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Or, and hear me out...it's possible Tzolis just isn't very good.

absolutely, but we scouted him!!!!!!!!!!!!   Just thought id emphasise that point....   Might be that our scouts aren't any good, they clearly aren't. .

Furthermore, might be that our coaches aren't any good either since they seem to be struggling to get a tune out of any of these youngsters at the moment!     

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

All spot-on - some seem to think he’s better than all our current full backs and also all our wingers, quite probably having never seen him play.  Clearly we have to take a view on players, and also think about them as people.

Probably based on seeing our other wingers play.

11 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

An outrageous slur hogesar.

Cambridge once wrote on here that a relative took him to a match in the 90's ( wink )

It was was with his grandfather at Hillsborough if memory serve me correctly. 

17 hours ago, Wibble said:

By Monday 5pm we will have a new face in the building !

Well I hope so! The big kick-off only 2 weeks away and it's gone deathly quiet since we the 'freebies' walked through the door.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Would be a loan only and seems to be League One level. 

One for next season then.😉

42 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well I hope so! The big kick-off only 2 weeks away and it's gone deathly quiet since we the 'freebies' walked through the door.

People tell me we have no money issues.

Yet we have not bought a single player yet. Interesting. All free.

And yes wages blah blah blah they are not free don't be a smartass

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would imagine the combined wages for Barnes and Duffy for the duration of their contracts will be pretty chunky to be fair.

The sale of Aarons or Rashica will cover that but we likely need to sell both to get new blood in. 

It's a long season but with Sara and Sainz not having a pre season to speak of and new players needing to be brought up to speed, we're not as far forward as I would have liked. 

On the positive side it looks as though Omo is staying until at least January. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The annual wage bill for any club will be significantly higher than total transfer spend, so this is totally irrelevant. A club spending £1m on a player and giving him a three-year deal on £20k a week actually costs more than a free agent who earns £30k for three years.

For example, I've seen a few posts on social media laughing about how Man City paid less for Haaland than Liverpool did for Nuñez. When you factor in agents fees and wages, Haaland cost £50-60m more over the duration of their five-year contracts.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I would imagine the combined wages for Barnes and Duffy for the duration of their contracts will be pretty chunky to be fair.

The sale of Aarons or Rashica will cover that but we likely need to sell both to get new blood in. 

It's a long season but with Sara and Sainz not having a pre season to speak of and new players needing to be brought up to speed, we're not as far forward as I would have liked. 

I'd be concerned if we're paying Duffy and Barnes enough to soak up the entire procedes from selling Rashica or Aarons!

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

A lot of players are off the wage bill too though, so that sort of cancels out

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd be concerned if we're paying Duffy and Barnes enough to soak up the entire procedes from selling Rashica or Aarons!

If they're both on £30k a week, that's £3.1m per year. I believe I read on here Duffy was on £45k a week before coming to us.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

If they're both on £30k a week, that's £3.1m per year. I believe I read on here Duffy was on £45k a week before coming to us.

But we were already paying Pukki et al similar, is the main point.

The odd thing about this window is the lack of any rumours - but that does seem to go more broadly than just for us.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

The odd thing about this window is the lack of any rumours - but that does seem to go more broadly than just for us.  

We were paying Pukki that much on the back of Premier League promotions and parachute payments. Paying a similar amount to Barnes and Duffy without that is a bigger hit.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

We were paying Pukki that much on the back of Premier League promotions and parachute payments. Paying a similar amount to Barnes and Duffy without that is a bigger hit.

Yes but it isn't just Pukki. 

We've also seen Byram, Dowell, Sinani, McGovern and Martin all leave, while the loans of Hayden and Marquinos have come to an end. I've no doubt we've saved more getting those wages off the books than we've added with our 4 new signings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes but it isn't just Pukki. 

We've also seen Byram, Dowell, Sinani, McGovern and Martin all leave, while the loans of Hayden and Marquinos have come to an end. I've no doubt we've saved more getting those wages off the books than we've added with our 4 new signings.

Indeed - I imagine there were signing on fees (football finances are a very strange business) but presumably we’re not hugely out of pocket so far.

In terms of money ‘in’ we do have the Madders  + Bumba fees, I suppose the question is whether there was anything in the kitty beforehand.

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Indeed - I imagine there were signing on fees (football finances are a very strange business) but presumably we’re not hugely out of pocket so far.

In terms of money ‘in’ we do have the Madders  + Bumba fees, I suppose the question is whether there was anything in the kitty beforehand.

I don't doubt we're in sell to buy mode but I don't think we need to sell to finance the deals we've already done as Capt Pants seemed to suggest.

It'll be interesting to see how we go about things for pre season with regards to Rashica and Aarons. Omobamidele has been back into the picture since his return from international duty so will those two be similar? Or will we not want to risk an injury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

In fairness, since Webber's arrival, the vast majority of rumours have been BS, and the ones that turned out to be true have largely been within a couple of days of signing by the club.

We knew about Duffy and Barnes as they were part of a group shown around the club as were out of contract, pretty much confirmed by the club at the point of sharing that info.

32 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Phil Hey (the very well connected Leeds Utd correspondent for the Athletic) has suggested that Leeds are interested in one of Angus Gunn or Freddie Woodman having missed out on Karl Darlow and Alexander Nubel.

Would be a big blow to lose Angus.

Depends on how much he goes for and who he is replaced by. As is always the case. Anyway, it would be surprising to see Leeds buy Gunn now that Farke is their manager with his perchance for playing out from the back. 

7 minutes ago, chicken said:

In fairness, since Webber's arrival, the vast majority of rumours have been BS, and the ones that turned out to be true have largely been within a couple of days of signing by the club.

We knew about Duffy and Barnes as they were part of a group shown around the club as were out of contract, pretty much confirmed by the club at the point of sharing that info.

That’s true - don’t recall is knowing huge amounts about Sara et al, for instance.

Not sure whether those Brazilians (Nathan and Mosquito?) are still on the cards; there was that fella called Mavididi but I think he’s set for Leicester. Otherwise we’ve had not a lot.

22 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I can't see Gunn going anywhere 

Someone might be able to clarify but wasn't the final price to Southampton likley to be pretty high after a number of appearances were met? Plus there might well be an add-on to them following his international call-up. Point being he won't be a cheap option for Leeds, but it doesn't look as though they have a number one GK if Meslier leaves.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Phil Hey (the very well connected Leeds Utd correspondent for the Athletic) has suggested that Leeds are interested in one of Angus Gunn or Freddie Woodman having missed out on Karl Darlow and Alexander Nubel.

It

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It would be a blow but Krul is still decent and may allow us to strengthen other areas ?

• Like 1