Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Absolute pisstake if he's being sold. Honestly angry about this one

Mumba might be pushing for the move too. Obviously loved it down there and an important player in the Plymouth team. 

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

And what if he doesn't do a job for us and bombs like, say, Tzolis? If he's not getting into the pre-season games all that much, then is he really better than all other left-wing options? Does he suit what Wagner wants from his wingers?

I suspect they're going to focus hard on Tzolis and really give him his chance off the wing, and Sainz is waiting in the wings after injury.

For me you’ve hit the nail on the head - it’s about what Wagner wants, sadly. Rather than the talent of the lad. It’s baffling how those two things can’t work - but clearly he’s not fancied. It will be a regrettable decision. Especially when we sack Wagner for a continuation of his uselessness at the tail end of last season 

• Like 2

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Mumba might be pushing for the move too. Obviously loved it down there and an important player in the Plymouth team. 

Perhaps, but in all seriousness we could be selling to a rival at this rate 

• Like 1

I don't think Mumba fits into Wagner's style of play. We also have Jack Stacey in that position who's been hugely impressive so far and Kellen Fisher looks a very decent signing. The arrival of Fisher plus the fact that Mumba hasn't looked impressive preseason have probably contributed to his departure. I'm also pretty sure we'll be packing in a whole bunch of clauses.

Edited by Michael Starr

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

And what if he doesn't do a job for us and bombs like, say, Tzolis? If he's not getting into the pre-season games all that much, then is he really better than all other left-wing options? Does he suit what Wagner wants from his wingers?

I suspect they're going to focus hard on Tzolis and really give him his chance off the wing, and Sainz is waiting in the wings after injury.

This would be immensley dumb but also very Webber right now.

Tzolis has shown absolutely nothing in the last two seasons, both here and at Twente. Focusing on him on the off chance he comes good, rather than focusing on a player coming back full of confidence after winning the League One Young Player of the Season award stinks of sunk cost chasing. 

Also, if we're selling a promising young player because he doesn't fit the system of a manager who may well not be here past October based on his recent record then we're engaged in the sort of short term thinking having a Sporting Director in place is supposed to avoid.

Just very stupid all round.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Tzolis has shown absolutely nothing in the last two seasons, both here and at Twente. Focusing on him on the off chance he comes good, rather than focusing on a player coming back full of confidence after winning the League One Young Player of the Season award stinks of sunk cost chasing. 

Also, if we're selling a promising young player because he doesn't fit the system of a manager who may well not be here past October based on his recent record then we're engaged in the sort of short term thinking having a Sporting Director in place is supposed to avoid.

Truly truly awful decision. 

34 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Absolute pisstake if he's being sold. Honestly angry about this one

Just start a thread and calm yourself down

I think the reaction to this rather shows how the last couple of seasons has drained the fans goodwill. 

A few years ago the club had enough credit in the bank that moves that appeared confusing on paper would be given the benefit of the doubt. Not these days though.

50 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

I don't think Mumba fits into Wagner's style of play. We also have Jack Stacey in that position who's been hugely impressive so far and Kellen Fisher looks a very decent signing. The arrival of Fisher plus the fact that Mumba hasn't looked impressive preseason have probably contributed to his departure. I'm also pretty sure we'll be packing in a whole bunch of clauses.

I dont think Kellen Fisher despite an ok game he has had, is anywhere near ready for first team football but is one for the future. I would be shocked if we are relying on him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is my worry 

signing players for a Wagner's pretty unique style of play ,

If we do get Rid of Wagner due to poor form continuing or New DOF is there another rebuild job for squad ?

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, you Cambridge, who hasn't attended a live game of football in his life, knows Mumba's position better than Wagner.

An outrageous slur hogesar.

Cambridge once wrote on here that a relative took him to a match in the 90's ( wink )

• Haha 2

Personally, I'd rather keep and play Mumba than some of the others we have in similar positions. 

I'd also rather keep him than see us use the money we get for him to buy someone nondescript. 

But what the f do I know? 

We were linked with RB Nathan from Sao Paulo and Mosquito not too long ago. I wonder whether there is truth in that rumour now.

2 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Personally, I'd rather keep and play Mumba than some of the others we have in similar positions. 

I'd also rather keep him than see us use the money we get for him to buy someone nondescript. 

But what the f do I know? 

Me too, but i think the fact is that no one is bidding for the others !

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the reaction to this rather shows how the last couple of seasons has drained the fans goodwill. 

A few years ago the club had enough credit in the bank that moves that appeared confusing on paper would be given the benefit of the doubt. Not these days though.

Was looking forward to the Division One Young Player of the season coming back to help us. Seems a daft short term cash flow decision by someone on a short term leaving period.

Looking forward to the "He wanted to go we couldn't keep him" usual trotted out communication.

But hey we signed a 16yr Scottish kid yesterday and they always work out...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah. 

I agree with you previous post about forcing Tzolis because he cost a lot. I think i've said it before, we have to ignore what we paid for him. If fans done the same there would be a single one clamouring for Tzolis to play, but this forum is littered with a few who think he's still the next best thing.

However, we may have simply decided Mumba isn't good enough and if the only club really interested is Plymouth then it suggests other clubs see it the same way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Was looking forward to the Division One Young Player of the season coming back to help us. Seems a daft short term cash flow decision by someone on a short term leaving period.

Looking forward to the "He wanted to go we couldn't keep him" usual trotted out communication.

But hey we signed a 16yr Scottish kid yesterday and they always work out...

But the same people also signed Mumba. 

If true, what would Mumba be worth in current market? £3 plus mill? We may even structure in a buy back clause. Who knows, we can all speculate at this point and not knowing about incoming replacements its hard to judge at this stage.

Edited by jaberry2

The Mumba deal is apparently £800k + add-ons. 

Edited by Bovril

5 minutes ago, Bovril said:

When did you see that gravy?

3 minutes ago, Bovril said:

I suppose a decent profit, does feel a shame but you have to go with what the coaches decide. There’s a big gap between L1 and Champs, he’s more suited to a formation we don’t play and he’s perhaps not considered ready.

It is certainly the case that next to none of us have seen him play anything other than the odd game, so it’s hard for us to judge. 

As ever with transfer windows, we need to see what’s what when all is done - you have to hope we end it stronger than we started.

The problem with Mumba is that he's very short and easy to knock off the ball. He's therefore not suitable to play at full back and we never play with three at the back. He's definitely not a better player than the wide attacking players we have so where on earth would he play? 

It looks like Wagner had a look and decided against. I'm a bit baffled that people are upset. It doesn't sound like there's a queue of clubs waiting to sign him. £800k to Plymouth sounds about right to me. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 8

Be interesting to see what the add-ons are. I'd expect a tasty sell-on clause in there as a bare minimum and possibly something if he becomes Championship player/young player of the season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The problem with Mumba is that he's very short and easy to knock off the ball. He's therefore not suitable to play at full back and we never play with three at the back. He's definitely not a better player than the wide attacking players we have so where on earth would he play? 

It looks like Wagner had a look and decided against. I'm a bit baffled that people are upset. It doesn't sound like there's a queue of clubs waiting to sign him. £800k to Plymouth sounds about right to me. 

All spot-on - some seem to think he’s better than all our current full backs and also all our wingers, quite probably having never seen him play.  Clearly we have to take a view on players, and also think about them as people.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I didn't really see much other than a couple of highlights of him last season, and I've watched bits of pre-season. I don't see anything particularly special but nor would I be disappointed if he was in our squad.

But yeah, fans at the moment are pretty determined in their mindsets. The fact that Plymouth are so far the only club linked to him, a likely Championship relegation candidate, tells you that if Wagner doesn't see him as a big player for us, then neither do most other managers in this league

All I can say about Mumba, puzzling as it is if he goes….at least the destination isn’t Leeds, that would be concerning on a few different levels.

It seems we are desperate for cash wherever we can get it and if someone shows a real interest in one of our squad the move appears to be on.

2 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

All I can say about Mumba, puzzling as it is if he goes….at least the destination isn’t Leeds, that would be concerning on a few different levels.

It seems we are desperate for cash wherever we can get it and if someone shows a real interest in one of our squad the move appears to be on.

By Monday 5pm we will have a new face in the building !