Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

8 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The club have data that shows they didn’t create enough chances last year. Hence they are looking for “wingers” . 

I hope somewhere amongst all the data there is a reminder note that we have never permanently replaced Alex Tettey.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

That's double what 1p5wich offered

I don’t know a lot about Simms but although Gyokeres was good for Cov last couple of years I have to say he lacked obvious quality in the playoffs and I think that he is possibly that limbo between top of the tree in the championship and if he doesn’t kick on with a new club a lot that he could be a basic squad option elsewhere higher up. Sporting and the Portuguese league could well be a good fit and his level. 

16 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

That's double what 1p5wich offered

But I thought they have "billions in the bank!" or whatever nonsense they keep going on about.. Must be quite embarrassing they've been outbid by coventry of all clubs for their big transfer target

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

31 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

I hope somewhere amongst all the data there is a reminder note that we have never permanently replaced Alex Tettey.

i think if you make the CDM more solid ,

then it lets the rest of the team play as they do not defend as much as the CDM is mopping up and winning the ball back more 

34 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

8 million by a club like Coventry.. Blimey

With the money for Gyokeres coming I suspect they can afford a single, large outlay.

What I have my doubts about is whether Simms is a player worth that sort of money and whether he could replace someone like Gyokeres. 

But that's a problem for Coventry rather than us. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

8 million by a club like Coventry.. Blimey

They're getting £20m for Gyokeres and were taken over by a relatively wealthy new owner earlier this year, so he's probably happy to reinvest the bulk of that money in the playing squad whilst still on his honeymoon period. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They're getting £20m for Gyokeres and were taken over by a relatively wealthy new owner earlier this year, so he's probably happy to reinvest the bulk of that money in the playing squad whilst still on his honeymoon period. 

Quite so - they are set to lose their star player for £20m and are using part of the money to buy someone - is there something I’m missing?  I imagine we might do similar if and when we sell someone.

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite so - they are set to lose their star player for £20m and are using part of the money to buy someone - is there something I’m missing?  I imagine we might do similar if and when we sell someone.

Exactly. And the perspective here is that £8-10m is pretty typical for higher end operating players for the championship.

Pritchard cost us similar I believe.

10 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

That’s given the bin dippers a wake up call.

Given most of their fans seem to think they are set to walk this upcoming season with ease..

Sure back in League one they might have been a big fish in a small pond but now they're just another goldfish in the aquarium

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Under £4m up front with lots of add ons being reported around here today. Good business for Coventry and gazumped Ipswich too. 

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given most of their fans seem to think they are set to walk this upcoming season with ease..

Sure back in League one they might have been a big fish in a small pond but now they're just another goldfish in the aquarium

They don't see it that way, as ever.

From TWTD

Q. 'Why should he prefer Coventry over Ipswich?"

Ans: "Because Ipswich amongst a few others are still regarded as a big club with a decent history. Who have the only world cup winning manager. Has almost 27 thousand crowds on average and sold fifty thousand shirts. Ambitious owners and a highly regarded manager maybe that's why ?"

It's relentless. What do they feed them on in deepest, darkest Suffolk?

ITFC is no bigger a club than Coventry, whatever that means. Us, them and Cov. are all medium-sized clubs with the latter probably having the edge.

The season ahead is going to be a beauty with so many issues apart from Carrow Road matters to grab our interest.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

They don't see it that way, as ever.

From TWTD

Q. 'Why should he prefer Coventry over Ipswich?"

Ans: "Because Ipswich amongst a few others are still regarded as a big club with a decent history. Who have the only world cup winning manager. Has almost 27 thousand crowds on average and sold fifty thousand shirts. Ambitious owners and a highly regarded manager maybe that's why ?"

It's relentless. What do they feed them on in deepest, darkest Suffolk?

ITFC is no bigger a club than Coventry, whatever that means. Us, them and Cov. are all medium-sized clubs with the latter probably having the edge.

Norwich have comfortably been the bigger team out the trio in the last two decades. Right now Coventry and Ipswich are on the up in several ways. Who will have the better season of the 3? I wouldn’t want to call it myself. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich have comfortably been the bigger team out the trio in the last two decades. Right now Coventry and Ipswich are on the up in several ways. Who will have the better season of the 3? I wouldn’t want to call it myself. 

Yes.

There are probably more question marks about City than the other two. Quite a few imponderables what with uncertainties surrounding the  American involvement, Webber's future and even the manager's true worth. Throw in possible sales and the money question and even whether such players as Tzolis and Idah will finally blossom and nothing at all can be forecast.

We are far less settled as a club than we have been for quite some time. Will Delia roll her lucky dice once again?

I remain positive, but it can be a difficult stance at times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Indeed! However, I can't think of any of the Town players who would get into the City first eleven.

19 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

When talking about Ipswich you don't mention anything about the last twenty years, in fact you hardly mention anything that has happened since 1981.

Surely you know that? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

When talking about Ipswich you don't mention anything about the last twenty years, in fact you hardly mention anything that has happened since 1981.

Surely you know that? 

81 plays our 85! The two matches against them this coming season will and should be fun. 

I imagine Ipswich will have a decent season after doing well last year. Hopefully just not too well and also lose both games against us. 

I doubt anything will happen on Max A until his return from international duty this weekend. It will be interesting to see what happens with Andy and whether any interest has materialised at this stage, given the initial interest in him.

• Like 2

I think Palace were linked with Omo, so interest may firm up if Guehi gets a move this summer, which isn't unlikely. 

50 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich have comfortably been the bigger team out the trio in the last two decades.

Nothing screams "little ol' Norwich" more than an obsession about who is the bigger club. We have been more successful than the other two over twenty years, yes, but realistically there are no significant differences in "size" between the clubs. The financial fundamentals are pretty similar, as goes for another dozen clubs or so. In selling their most valuable player Cov were able to offer the lad better terms and a place in a top end Champs team. The idea that he might make that choice based on the basis of which club was notionally the biggest is fanciful.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I imagine Ipswich will have a decent season after doing well last year. Hopefully just not too well and also lose both games against us. 

There will be 3 worse teams than them. 

I can't see beyond the 3 relegated teams from the EPL competing the autos.

As from the rest, who knows. Sunderland showed that the gap from top League One to the Championship isn't that great and all 3 coming up this season play better football than they do.

• Like 1

Sellable Assets - Aarons, Omobamidele, Gunn then scraping the barrel Sargarent, Sara. Looks like we are running out of players we can sell. Gibbs/Rowe/Springett. Big season for the Coach+SD and Academy to get new talent game time.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have you actually measured the players ? As to club size, it doesn't always mean much. Compare the size of Derby with Brentford, or Weds with B'mouth  City have been far more successful than the binners over the past 40 years, as the trophies won testify to.  Probably bigger attendances on average. Time spent in the PL.

I am not sure how this US pension fund expects to get a return on their investment. Clubs spending less than their income (generating a profit) tend not to stay in the PL too long. So where is the return coming from?

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

Nothing screams "little ol' Norwich" more than an obsession about who is the bigger club. We have been more successful than the other two over twenty years, yes, but realistically there are no significant differences in "size" between the clubs. The financial fundamentals are pretty similar, as goes for another dozen clubs or so. In selling their most valuable player Cov were able to offer the lad better terms and a place in a top end Champs team. The idea that he might make that choice based on the basis of which club was notionally the biggest is fanciful.

Not obsessed in the slightest but Norwich have been the better/biggest club in that period. For potential at this moment in time then probably not. 

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Have you actually measured the players ? As to club size, it doesn't always mean much. Compare the size of Derby with Brentford, or Weds with B'mouth  City have been far more successful than the binners over the past 40 years, as the trophies won testify to.  Probably bigger attendances on average. Time spent in the PL.

I am not sure how this US pension fund expects to get a return on their investment. Clubs spending less than their income (generating a profit) tend not to stay in the PL too long. So where is the return coming from?

Maximise potential growth, I know the new  owner has mentioned expanding corporate income. Maybe with his forward thinking and professional business acumen the Subbuteo stand will be knocked down and one fit for modern times replaces it. 

19 hours ago, chicken said:

Rose, Sainz and Hernandez right now. Another wouldn't go amiss as Springett will likely be loaned again and Placheta isn't looking likely to be with us either.

Who is this Rose you keep talking about? Or do you mean Rowe?

6 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Who is this Rose you keep talking about? Or do you mean Rowe?

One typo and it's "keep talking about" even though others understood who I meant... strange snipe.