Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team for QPR...

Theyre on a dreadful run....classic along come Norwich territory

We cant have that midfield again infront of a makeshift back 4, you can get away with it vs a team not interested in attacking in Rotherham but not too many other occasions.

Need Hayden to put himself on the line, if he can sit on the bench , he must be able to contribute.

Gunn

Aarons   Omobam  Sorenson  Giann

Hayden

Nunez         Sara

Marquinos     Sargent      Hernandez

Difficult to pick a team not knowing the fitness status of Hayden, Byram etc. There's a big difference between being on the bench, which could mean fit for ten mins, fit for 45, fit for almost 90 or 'just there for leadership in the dressing room and because we literally have no one else'. Would certainly be great if Hayden is fit to start, but I seriously doubt it.

The other option would be to play Byram at CB so that Sorenson can play DM. Obviously that has all the same issues as playing Hayden.

Whatever you do at CB/DM, I'd be playing Gibbs instead of Nunez. I know you don't rate him, GJL, but to me he looked a revelation a bit further forward in the Blackburn game. And he's the future.

Think Marquinhos offers a bit more defensive discipline than Tzolis, but would like to see him off the bench in at least the last 30. And am assuming that we'd get something similar from Teemu. But agree that playing both Teemu and Sarge is not working.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Difficult to pick a team not knowing the fitness status of Hayden, Byram etc. There's a big difference between being on the bench, which could mean fit for ten mins, fit for 45, fit for almost 90 or 'just there for leadership in the dressing room and because we literally have no one else'. Would certainly be great if Hayden is fit to start, but I seriously doubt it.

The other option would be to play Byram at CB so that Sorenson can play DM. Obviously that has all the same issues as playing Hayden.

Whatever you do at CB/DM, I'd be playing Gibbs instead of Nunez. I know you don't rate him, GJL, but to me he looked a revelation a bit further forward in the Blackburn game. And he's the future.

Think Marquinhos offers a bit more defensive discipline than Tzolis, but would like to see him off the bench in at least the last 30. And am assuming that we'd get something similar from Teemu. But agree that playing both Teemu and Sarge is not working.

Loaned out too many players and should have kept a bigger squad.  These injuries have crippled us as per usual

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Theyre on a dreadful run....classic along come Norwich territory

We cant have that midfield again infront of a makeshift back 4, you can get away with it vs a team not interested in attacking in Rotherham but not too many other occasions.

Need Hayden to put himself on the line, if he can sit on the bench , he must be able to contribute.

Gunn

Aarons   Omobam  Sorenson  Giann

Hayden

Nunez         Sara

Marquinos     Sargent      Hernandez

Byram for Jacob, Jacob as DM & Gibbs for Nacho. 

Marchinos looks solid but stolid - a slight upgrade on Sinani - so would give Tzolis a go. He at least gives flashes of goal scoring talent. However I don't think Onel is properly fit so might have to keep Marchinos & start with Tzolis instead of Onel.

• Like 4

We should win this one, they are absolute garbage at the minute (worse than us even) 4.1 to City, hard ons on all round and the charge to the play offs back on track. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We should win this one, they are absolute garbage at the minute (worse than us even) 4.1 to City, hard ons on all round and the charge to the play offs back on track. 

Totally agree with all that. Onwards and upwards!

It’s pretty ridiculous that there is still a path that could see us into the play offs, given our own dreadful run of one win in 7 - all-in-all pretty pathetic since Millwall, when we should have been on a high.   I think we’ll fall at the first and give QPR a nice lift.

I’d like to see Warner involved. U-23 captain and with that, you’d think/hope he’ll be in the mix next season. Lungi back in CM please. Sara RW over Marquinhos and Gibbs/Nunez advanced behind Sargent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mrdi said:

I’d like to see Warner involved. U-23 captain and with that, you’d think/hope he’ll be in the mix next season. Lungi back in CM please. Sara RW over Marquinhos and Gibbs/Nunez advanced behind Sargent. 

One hundred percent this, been calling for the same for the last two games. 

2 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

as long as its only one of Sargent or Pukki, the extra midfielder in midfield makes us much harder to break down

I'd agree with this. I'd still choose Pukki.  I'd give Krul another go because to me Gunn lost his head towards the end of the first half, as did several of the players, complaining to the ref while play was in motion instead of concenrating on the football and lo and behold it caused another goal. Basic concentration.

Krul

Aarons Omobamidele  Byram Giannoulis

Gibbs   Sara  Sorensen Nunez  Hernandez

Pukki

I think Pukki hasn’t scored in 12 - abysmal for your main striker.  I suppose that run must end sometime, but I’d only be using him from the bench for the remainder of the season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Byram for Jacob, Jacob as DM & Gibbs for Nacho. 

Marchinos looks solid but stolid - a slight upgrade on Sinani - so would give Tzolis a go. He at least gives flashes of goal scoring talent. However I don't think Onel is properly fit so might have to keep Marchinos & start with Tzolis instead of Onel.

I think taking the risk on Byram makes sense, we looked so much better with a midfield three of Gibbs, Sorensen and Sara. To have any chance of getting into playoffs we need to get back to that I feel.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'd agree with this. I'd still choose Pukki.  I'd give Krul another go because to me Gunn lost his head towards the end of the first half, as did several of the players, complaining to the ref while play was in motion instead of concenrating on the football and lo and behold it caused another goal. Basic concentration.

Krul

Pukki

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think Pukki hasn’t scored in 12 - abysmal for your main striker.  I suppose that run must end sometime, but I’d only be using him from the bench for the remainder of the season.

Choosing Pukki when he is leaving anyway is simply a vote of no confidence in Sargent and an appalling signal to the rest of the team / squad.

Frankly I think this is the root of our 'mental' attitude problem and brittleness- what signal does it send?

The King is dead, long live the King. Pukki, great servant that he has been is on the bench for me come what may..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sadly it looks as though Teemu’s checked out. With that, he really can’t be considered our main striker anymore. Sargent is clearly our next best/least worst option, though in part due to his ineffectiveness in any other position and Idah’s ineffectiveness full-stop. 

Well we can't score and now we can't defend either. I can't see how we can possibly start with the same back 4 again after the devastation at 'boro.

I find it staggering we don't have a youngster who can step up and fill in at CB quite frankly.

Pukki is leaving and hqsnt scored in 12. Sargent at least has scored, puts himself about and is a target man.

Absolutely no point playing Hayden so id go

Gunn

Aarons Omi Byram Mcallum

Sorenson Sara

Tzolis Gibbs Onel

Sargent

Pukki, Rowe, Idah, Hayden, Marquinhos on bench

Edited by Samwam27
Error
  • Like 3

Think I'd start without wingers to be honest and REALLY gunk up the middle of the park. That should also make it easier for a makeshift centre of defence and encourage the full-backs to go up. At that point it is either a Farke 4-2-3-1 with no wingers, or go Christmas Tree with the formation and 4-3-2-1 with two attacking midfielders behind one striker.

• Like 1

Gunn

Aaron's Omo Warner Giannoulis 

Hayden Sorensen

Sara Gibbs Hernandez

Pukki

Bench  Byram Nunez Tzolis Rowe Krul Idah Sargeant

Hayden is being released by Newcastle attend of season so any contract will be paid up by them. He could, if he stays fit be the experienced CDM we need next year alongside Sorensen with Kenny to assist although if Kenny goes to Rangers we can get another body in there. 

Gunn 

Aarons   omobamidele Warner McCallum 

Sara.   Sorensen 

Tzolis.                Gibbs.            Hernandez 

Sargent 

Drop pukki now, he's made his decision he can bench warm while we give Sarge time and work out if idah is set to feature long term 

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Krul

Pukki

Krul is injured and is past it anyway and if you seriously think Gibbs can play on the wing you are an idiot 

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Anybody seen Warner play?

Round holes round pegs. What's the point of bringing youth through if we are not going to give them a chance. Nothing to lose now. 4 games to see if he is good enough 

• Like 1

I'd never seen Omo play ahead of his debut either.

But IF Byram is fit enough then yeah he should be able to fill in.

28 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Round holes round pegs. What's the point of bringing youth through if we are not going to give them a chance. Nothing to lose now. 4 games to see if he is good enough 

It can be a tricky one - there’s definitely an argument for blooding players in these circumstances, per your point, but I seem to recall Irvine (ie the guy before Farke) arguing strongly against - he said it can put them back and do no good at all. It has to be the call of the guy in charge, if he thinks the lad is up to it and will benefit - bit we have maybe seen what he thinks from the squad in the last two games.

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It can be a tricky one - there’s definitely an argument for blooding players in these circumstances, per your point, but I seem to recall Irvine (ie the guy before Farke) arguing strongly against - he said it can put them back and do no good at all. It has to be the call of the guy in charge, if he thinks the lad is up to it and will benefit - bit we have maybe seen what he thinks from the squad in the last two games.

Garry Nelson said similar in his book Left Foot in the Grave. The blow to a youngster's confidence if they struggle a bit could, according to Nelson, knock them back months.