Chelsea will sign him then shift him off somewhere never to be seen again, I think I read that Chelsea have over 50 players out on loan

• Like 1

FIFA did change the rules to stop "talent hoarding" at big clubs by limiting loaning out to 8 players. Sadly they also only applied the rule to players who are over 21 or not home grown effectively making the rule change pointless. I'm not sure it's quite 50 players but it will still probably be enough for 2 full XIs

17 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Chelsea will sign him then shift him off somewhere never to be seen again, I think I read that Chelsea have over 50 players out on loan

I think it’s around 30. We’ve had about 20 players out on loan this season and around the same last season.

I'm a bit uneasy about this, especially as the kid might well be hot property (yet another?) as Chelsea's interest might suggest.

Our academy output is becoming our pride and joy, and the thought of a young prospect being "poached" by billionaire clubs like Chelsea doesn't sit easily.

Having said that, we've used our Academy 1, clout on Luton (Aarons, Lewis,) Coventry (Maddison) and, I suppose, Ipswich (Gibbs.) in the recent past so there's little justification for complaint.

We'll probably never know the details of the deal, but let's hope that the add-ons are (extremely) lucrative for our club and that this move is in the best interests of the lad, money apart.

Does anybody know if Alex Matos is, indeed, a stand-out talent? A cut above?

We wouldn't want to let a budding George Best slip through our fingers, after all. 

Well, a Raheem Sterling then. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Or you know, the lure of London and a chance to play at a top six club.

Maybe its revenge, we ' ruined ' wee Billy and theyre gonna ruin Alex Matos.... because they can.  

• Haha 3

Better than Colney, it seems?

Google:

"Chelsea FC Academy is located at: 64 Stoke Road, Stoke D'Abernon, Cobham, Surrey KT11 3PTChelsea FC Academy use advanced technology and coaching methods to develop their players. They are actively looking for upcoming talent to join their academy, and are very selective about who gets in, as competition is tough."

"Or you know, the lure of London ..........."

No King's Road for him, though, more like Cobham Services.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lure of London or Norfolk don’t be daft

So if one of our youth players leaves for another club it’s bad, but when we nick players like Gibbs off the Binners it’s good ? 

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

So if one of our youth players leaves for another club it’s bad, but when we nick players like Gibbs off the Binners it’s good ? 

Of Course! Its  the one eyed way of tbe footy fan. Everyone likes to eat, no one likes to be eaten.  

16 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Especially good if it's the Binners.

Their training & youth facilities (Playford Park?) are pretty limited and dated, apparently, as the forever admirable Marcus Evans neglected things like that.

The American trillionaires who now own the club seem more interested in real estate (shopping malls and hotels?)

No-brainer then for young Gibbs, besides, who wouldn't prefer Norwich City over little Ipswich Town? 

22 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Of Course! Its  the one eyed way of tbe footy fan. Everyone likes to eat, no one likes to be eaten.  

Well, that depends…

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Does anybody know if Alex Matos is, indeed, a stand-out talent? A cut above?

Darren Eadie tweeted that he's the best youngster he's seen!

28 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not if it's a hot dog from Craven Cottage, though.

It will sound like sour grapes from me but I blame his agent who will no doubt have trousered a few quid. Anyone who advises a youngster to sign for Chelsea at that stage of his career is unlikely to have taken a long term view. 

Disappeared, probably never to be heard of again. 

There are two nagging issues for me:

1) A big focus for Webber was developing youth and protecting their value. We've obviously done well in many cases - promoting and profiting from players like Maddison, Godfrey, Lewis etc. On the flip side, Cantwell went for peanuts, Max is entering the last year of his contract and starlets like Matos and Shakpoke being poached by bigger clubs. Whilst each case has different circumstances, it must be frustrating for the club to lose players in this manner.

2) The whole system is rigged to make it easy for young players to transfer to a bigger club. It was advertised as such when they revamped the system. Whilst I recognise we're midway up the football pyramid, it makes it almost pointless for clubs from L1 and 2 to spend their already limited resources on youngsters that might jump ship at the earliest opportunity. It's also another barrier for smaller clubs to develop.

I remember looking at the England team a few years ago (circa 2016) and recognising most of the players established themselves at smaller clubs before getting their big move - player like Joe Hart (Shrewsbury), Kyle Walker (Sheff Utd), Rooney (Everton). The FA needs to be investing in academies across the country - not just holding everyone else back so that the biggest clubs can benefit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Well that's why they introduced the compensation tribunals for youth prospects so the clubs don't get left empty handed. That being said I think they need to change it so it includes a % of future transfer fees. I'm not sure what we got for Gunn moving to city was anywhere near what we paid a few years later 

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He won't be in there first team for a long time.  The gap between the first and U21 is a big one.

Can’t for the life of me understand why any youngster wants to go to Chelsea! How many of their young players have made their first team in recent years? Mount, Tomori, can’t think of any others tbh 

Interesting that Tony Springett is now saying if he isn’t in the first team squad next season he’s off, the downside of young players going on loan is they enjoy it too much.

On 25/03/2023 at 16:45, TheBaldOne66 said:

Can’t for the life of me understand why any youngster wants to go to Chelsea! How many of their young players have made their first team in recent years? Mount, Tomori, can’t think of any others tbh 

Reece James, Connor Gallagher too.

They actually had a decent run of blooding younger players under Lampard due to the transfer embargo but I don't see that being the case under the new owner.

On 25/03/2023 at 16:45, TheBaldOne66 said:

Because these days if you want to get to very top getting into a big club is the best way to do it. Better facilities, train with better players, better coaching etc etc. If you not good enough you still get more money, good contacts & a better experience. Professional football is a job, not a hobby.