2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Beyond belief. You'll be telling me next that anyone could broadcast live to 10m people for an hour during a football match in which one of the players died. I'm sure it was easy, as I'm sure it is to have no programme at 5.00pm but host that programme at 10.00. Easy easy. Anyone could do it. 

Literally anyone could do his job better than him

maybe give a new younger person a go? Or, my preference, get rid of MOTD altogether. It has no place in 2023. It’s archaic.

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Beyond belief. You'll be telling me next that anyone could broadcast live to 10m people for an hour during a football match in which one of the players died. I'm sure it was easy, as I'm sure it is to have no programme at 5.00pm but host that programme at 10.00. Easy easy. Anyone could do it. 

Ah so no one did it before lineker. No one can follow lineker and no other channel has presenters that can do this….

It looked to me like there was a route back, but with Ian Wright and Alan Shearer also dropping out, I don't think that the BBC has any choice but to give the programme a massive shake-up.

In fairness, there has been a lot of criticism of the show's whole format and the way it focuses on top clubs while taking a very lazy approach to lower clubs in the Premier League.

Maybe it's a good opportunity for the BBC to shake up its approach to football. I hope Michael Bailey gives them a buzz. Doubtless there are countless football journalists falling over themselves for the opportunity.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Ah so no one did it before lineker. No one can follow lineker and no other channel has presenters that can do this….

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Literally anyone could do his job better than him

😂

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's also about being even handed. Andrew Neil got clean away with it even though he was chief political editor. And Alan Sugar spouts his political views on Twitter without censure from the BBC. In fact Sugar uses the Apprentice programme to his financial benefit on Twitter. What would be the reaction if Lineker used MOTD as part of selling his 'brand' on Twitter?

One rule for friends of the Government and another for everyone else.....

Yes quite agree, the rules need to be clear for everyone and they should be applied without favour or fear. In a bizarre way this is distraction from the actual topic which is a bit of a shot in the foot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sugar uses Twitter to promote his political views and has a prominent BBC programme. But if you want to split hairs, Lineker is a self employed freelancer. Try a little bit more carefully to explain the difference and perhaps explain Andrew Heil (and John Humphrys for that matter). 

At the same time, explain why the BBC has scrapped a David Attenborough documentary that was critical of the Government. And to think we criticise the Russians for their state TV. 

For those interested the episode is on iplayer and I for one am looking forward to seeing it as much if not more than the other episodes.  Personally I find this incident much more concerning than the MOTD circus

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It looked to me like there was a route back, but with Ian Wright and Alan Shearer also dropping out, I don't think that the BBC has any choice but to give the programme a massive shake-up.

In fairness, there has been a lot of criticism of the show's whole format and the way it focuses on top clubs while taking a very lazy approach to lower clubs in the Premier League.

Maybe it's a good opportunity for the BBC to shake up its approach to football. I hope Michael Bailey gives them a buzz. Doubtless there are countless football journalists falling over themselves for the opportunity.

It’s needed something because it’s current format is absolutely done. The ratings must be in the toilet.

In all seriousness who should now front it now that Linekar has gone? It’s an interesting debate

2 hours ago, Herman said:

You are I'm afraid. He compared the words to what was coming out of Germany in the 30s. And they are very similar in their nasty, divisive rhetorical style. He's talking about the starting point not the end point.

No.

You see this is how it works. 

This is my opinion. 
It’s subjective , and an opinion over what constitutes “language” is what I’m expressing . You and others may see it differently. That’s fine . 
But I’m think the intent is clear . If you accuse someone of “using language” you are suggesting what they mean by it . Using the same words as the Nazis in 1930 . That’s how I read it .

So that’s it . My opinion. Carry on with your own . We won’t fall out .That’s what makes the world go around. 

Some other opinions for you to consider . 
Do I like Gary Lineker? Yes. I think he is a great presenter . Am I a massive Tory ? I couldn’t be less of a supporter of the current shambolic government . 

So opinions it is then.  Some of the (rather pathetically constructed) alter ego postings on here just add to the dross. . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

In all seriousness who should now front it now that Linekar has gone? It’s an interesting debate

One thing is for sure, it will be a far more diverse group than we currently have. Having said that Colin Murray would be my choice, be he ain’t going to keep his views to himself I suspect.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

One thing is for sure, it will be a far more diverse group than we currently have. Having said that Colin Murray would be my choice, be he ain’t going to keep his views to himself I suspect.

Yeah, maybe rotate it more give more people a chance, have different segments and stuff. At least experiment.

Its been stale for so long, evolve or die.

The way these people have talked about Norwich on Match of the Day, I especially remember the disrespect he showed Adam Idah for literally no reason, I hope they all get the sack to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Will be interesting when the radio commentators step down as well…. BBC silence

I think, as with the match at Carrow road with no PA, people with prefer to watch the football without being told what to think about it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sugar uses Twitter to promote his political views and has a prominent BBC programme. But if you want to split hairs, Lineker is a self employed freelancer. Try a little bit more carefully to explain the difference and perhaps explain Andrew Heil (and John Humphrys for that matter). 

At the same time, explain why the BBC has scrapped a David Attenborough documentary that was critical of the Government. And to think we criticise the Russians for their state TV. 

I agree it’s a grey area, but Lineker fronts a programme made by the BBC whereas Sugar fronts a programme made by an independent company that the BBC chooses to buy.

29 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

No.

You see this is how it works. 

This is my opinion. 
It’s subjective , and an opinion over what constitutes “language” is what I’m expressing . You and others may see it differently. That’s fine . 
But I’m think the intent is clear . If you accuse someone of “using language” you are suggesting what they mean by it . Using the same words as the Nazis in 1930 . That’s how I read it .

So that’s it . My opinion. Carry on with your own . We won’t fall out .That’s what makes the world go around. 

Some other opinions for you to consider . 
Do I like Gary Lineker? Yes. I think he is a great presenter . Am I a massive Tory ? I couldn’t be less of a supporter of the current shambolic government . 

So opinions it is then.  Some of the (rather pathetically constructed) alter ego postings on here just add to the dross. . 

You're free to have your opinion.The facts are that they ARE using the same words and rhetoric as the Nazis in 1930s Germany and that Lineker was right in his words and my opinion he was right to highlight this.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

You're free to have your opinion.The facts are that they ARE using the same words and rhetoric as the Nazis in 1930s Germany and that Lineker was right in his words and my opinion he was right to highlight this.

Thank you Herman for your response . There is a fear that we both simply repeat ourselves on what is , a football message board , so it’s probably best if we stop clogging up the airwaves now. 

What do you reckon? 3pts against Sun’land? 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

And there we have it. It’s clear that some on the left genuinely believe that the present government are indistinguishable from the Third Reich. 

Not that I watch it as I’m far away, but it would be good to see just football highlights without all the rubbish from pundits after each game! Back to the good old days of the 70s just showing football 

25 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I agree it’s a grey area, but Lineker fronts a programme made by the BBC whereas Sugar fronts a programme made by an independent company that the BBC chooses to buy.

As I said yesterday, it’s a technicality - the employment status or otherwise doesn’t matter to the viewer/Twitter reader, it’s the same person.  To many Sugar is a bbc ‘celebrity’ - god help us. 

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Absolutely - it’s totally the language being used that is being referred to (eg trying to claim 100m are desperate to come here; “hoardes” of asylum seekers; that we are being “overrun”). The likes of the Fail taking it further is rich given their record.

The simple point is that there is no way there would be this frenzy if Lineker had been supporting the govt message. And I note after foaming at the bbc the govt is now stepping back and absolving itself of anything. Utterly contemptible.

Edited by Branston Pickle

9 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

And there we have it. It’s clear that some on the left genuinely believe that the present government are indistinguishable from the Third Reich. 

Thats the kind of leap which doesnt help at all. Its not what  @Herman is saying at all.

You are are protagonist of polarisation. 

But what i really want to know is how this will affect @essex canary share value. ...and does anyone think that the job should pass to Linekers children?

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Nope. I’m not . 

Afraid you are, you are taking up the spin put on this by certain members of the Tory party, his tweet was specifically about the language used.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Thats the kind of leap which doesnt help at all. Its not what  @Herman is saying at all. 

Maybe, maybe not, but you only have to look on Twitter or The Independent comments sections to see how many left-wingers accuse the Tories of being exactly that.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Maybe, maybe not, but you only have to look on Twitter or The Independent comments sections to see how many left-wingers accuse the Tories of being exactly that.

Exactly ....the first thing you must do is ignore the looonies at either extreme...not use them to try to prove a point ( badly).  

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Not that I watch it as I’m far away, but it would be good to see just football highlights without all the rubbish from pundits after each game! Back to the good old days of the 70s just showing football 

Fwiw I haven’t watched motd for several years - find it a bit boring to watch all the “analysis”. If it is shown tonight  I do wonder if there will be a spike in viewing, people might actually like the lack of endless chat between games.

But that’s not to say Lineker isn’t a decent presenter and this mess is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I'm a left winger and I wouldn't accuse the Tories of that. Hitler actually spent money on German infrastructure and rebuilt their economy! Your comments are deliberate and false and you know what you're doing.

The “you are literally a Nazi” meme is very 2016, pretty old.

Like all the old people on Facebook who thought the “Karen” meme was hilarious and started over-using that about a decade after it’s been created and been blown out.

it frustrates me that these Facebook “screaming into the void about politics and their knee surgery” people are such a huge voice in the world.

social media is so gross