Sign in to follow this  
Robert Barnes

Not so sure

2 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Let's catch Luton first...

For sure 1 game at a time but put a winning run of 3-4-5 games and you never know

20 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

Has strong drink been taken this afternoon?

It will be 😁 COYY 🔰

It’s not going to happen, but nice that we can have the conversation again. 

Boro are on fire, and IMO we need them out of the equation for the playoffs. 

Of course you never know. But reality is, we probably need to win 9 and beat Sheff Utd, Boro and Blackburn. Even then, Sheff Utd should still have enough. 

Still think top six would be a great achievement from where we were when Wagner took over. Great result today but we didn't look like automatic promotion candidates to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

With defending like ours in the championship dont want to imagine us doing that in the Prem..

That's the spirit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No harm in dreaming.

But let's see the team consolidate a play-off place before aiming higher.

We still have to play Sheff Utd, Blackburn and Boro in April. Lots of work still to do.

It's 9 points. If we beat them it's 6. That's just two wins difference. Hardly insurmountable. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's within the bounds of credibility. Let's cement our place in the top 6 before looking any higher. 

Sheff have game in hand, that's a massive factor in how catchable they are.  You'd think they will escape this blip and sail home - every club goes through it in that position.

You look at our current form though it's certainly within the realms of being logically possible.  If you find yourself within 3-4 points of them anything can happen, even with 2-3 games remaining.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Still think top six would be a great achievement from where we were when Wagner took over. Great result today but we didn't look like automatic promotion candidates to me. 

I thought we did after about 75 minutes, we had all the possession and Millwall were reeling. So I posted to say so on the match thread and Millwall scored. Last time I say that for a while.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Boro and Blackburn don't need to implode, just lose and draw a few games. Sheffield would really need to crash, though.

Shef Utd have a game in hand, which is on Tuesday away to Reading. Win that and they go 7pts clear of 3rd and 12pts clear of us.

That would leave everyone with 11 games left to play. Or a total of 33pts left to play for. So to put that into perspective, Shef Utd would need to essentially drop half the points that would be left to play for. 

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

With defending like ours in the championship dont want to imagine us doing that in the Prem..

We'll have to improve then 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

No harm in dreaming.

But let's see the team consolidate a play-off place before aiming higher.

We still have to play Sheff Utd, Blackburn and Boro in April. Lots of work still to do.

Yep, three big matches there, six pointers. Never say never, 11 wins would give us 88 points, which most seasons would be enough for second place.  The dream is possible..........

On 04/03/2023 at 18:20, CANARYKING said:

Makes you wonder where we would have been with Wagner in charge in August

Or if Dean was sacked before the World Cup break rather than after...!

• Like 2

We have to beat Sheff Utd, Boro and Blackburn. Even if we can't win all of our games, we have to win those 3.

In reality it isn't really in our hands and need both Middlesbrough and Sheff Utd to implode. I can't see it happening but we just need to be sure that we go into the play-offs full of confidence and cut out these stupid errors.

We need 80 points to give us a chance of second place. Win Home to Sheff U is a must. At least a point at both Boro and Blackburn. Will then need 18 or 20 out of the other 8. Sheff U v Blackburn Cup quarter final could be a massive help.

Whether it will be worth it depends on getting the ownership situation sorted.

If Sheff U lose at Reading tonight, the race for second place will be back on, but I fear we're too far behind and need to win virtually every game to get there. Boro would be rubbing their hands, though.

Personally I don't think 80 would be enough.

On 04/03/2023 at 18:19, Robert Barnes said:

Couple of weeks ago 1-2 place looked all wrapped up, well 1st still is but 2nd place is now up for grabs I think

If we win every single game from now to the end of the season, Blades must win 7 and draw at least 1, or win 6 and draw at least 4 from 11 games ( they'll have lost their game in hand to us) for it to be mathematically impossible for us to beat them.

Their form has dipped enough that you can't rule it out, but we can't drop a single point to the end of the season to have a chance. Best think in terms of playoffs realistically, but if this happens then that would be a hell of a turn up.