1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

The drum really doesn’t ‘make’ an atmosphere, that comes from seeing decent performances on the pitch.  If anything it ruins it as it drowns out any alternative to the “chant” it is doing, which is extremely limited.

If there has to be a drum to ‘create’ anything it ought to be in the river end.

Agreed.

I love the drum and miss the flags - the more we have to create a sense of occasion the better as far as I am concerned! Obviously if we play well the atmosphere will usually respond - but what's wrong with a bit of help?

Bloodee annoying if you ask me, spent most of the afternoon looking for drummer.  Sounded to me coming from hotel corner of Barclay whilst seated in Blk J of South Stand.  Apparently he is hidden behind screen out of view of the pitch on other side of Barclay, they must project the awful racket.  I do have one observation is that the PA needs serious attention couldn't understand a word said.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m going to Southampton on Saturday- I just hope I’m nowhere near if he’s there.

Don't go to The Scholars Arms then ?

On 22/02/2023 at 07:45, CANARYKING said:

So sorry but am I the only fan who finds it very annoying. I’m at the other end of the ground and it still gives me a headache, goodness knows what it’s like in the Barclay.

No.....it's bloody annoying. When I was a ST holder in the Barclay it ruined the game for me personally, can't speak for others.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

No.....it's bloody annoying. When I was a ST holder in the Barclay it ruined the game for me personally, can't speak for others.

Agreed, and that tuneless cacophony before kick off needs binning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Badger said:

I love the drum and miss the flags - the more we have to create a sense of occasion the better as far as I am concerned! Obviously if we play well the atmosphere will usually respond - but what's wrong with a bit of help?

'Sense of occasion' ? it is a football match, not the Edinburgh Tattoo. The game itself is the occasion, or perhaps we could have four trumpeters dressed as heralds blowing a fanfare at every corner. We previously had the embarrassing sight of a gaggle of eejits marching down to Carrow Road as if it was some state funeral. Accompanied by bouts of deep voice singing (as in Europe) to make themselves sound butch.

There is enough of this child like behaviour elsewhere, whereby concert-goers are now either throwing things at the performers or drowning out the performance with their own singing. The presumption being that every 'occasion' needs their input, irrespective of the effect it has on the performance or on others attending.

The binners tried this a few years back. Fat lot of good it did them. They were relegated, and stagnated for years.

On 22/02/2023 at 11:14, hogesar said:

Jesus, have any of you been to the home games without the drum this season? It's been an absolute morgue.

I'm not a massive fan of the drum itself but I'm a huge fan of the atmopshere it helps generate. Literally compare any home game with or without the drum and the noise levels from the fans are absolutely terrible without.

City Elite are doing a fantastic job, without the drum this season we'd all be sitting in silence. We have actual evidence of it this season. 

Those in other stands that are complaining about it - maybe if you were all making some noise and getting behind the team the drum would never have even been a concept?

The reason the ground is a morgue is because the team has been playing cr@p for quite a while now. Nothing to get excited about.

Even Saturday’s game, as encouraging as it was for a first game with a new team, the build up play was slow and in my view directionless (unless Sara was weaving a bit of magic).  

In essence, the crowd starts the game off full of enthusiasm and it’s up to the team to drive the performance to entertain the crowd and the crowd will respond. But unfortunately for too long the team have let the crowd down. 

No need for the drums, we just need some exciting attacking football to watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jersey Canary said:

The reason the ground is a morgue is because the team has been playing cr@p for quite a while now. Nothing to get excited about.

Even Saturday’s game, as encouraging as it was for a first game with a new team, the build up play was slow and in my view directionless (unless Sara was weaving a bit of magic).  

In essence, the crowd starts the game off full of enthusiasm and it’s up to the team to drive the performance to entertain the crowd and the crowd will respond. But unfortunately for too long the team have let the crowd down. 

No need for the drums, we just need some exciting attacking football to watch.

The build up play was the opposite of slow, we had more shots and created more chances than anyone else in the entire league over the weekend.

You're quoting old posts from Dean Smith era, by the way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RobJames said:

'Sense of occasion' ? it is a football match, not the Edinburgh Tattoo. The game itself is the occasion, or perhaps we could have four trumpeters dressed as heralds blowing a fanfare at every corner.

An interesting suggestion but

1. I think that it would be too expensive

2. The importance of corners is exaggerated by fans

Presumably you don't like the other new-fangled ideas like PA announcers and music as the players walk on the pitch, Or would you like to ban singing, raising your voice or any other signs of excitement? I think that you'll find an armchair more comfortable!

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

The build up play was the opposite of slow, we had more shots and created more chances than anyone else in the entire league over the weekend.

You're quoting old posts from Dean Smith era, by the way.

Having lots of shots doesn’t denote the match had fast or slow build up or exciting play.  Lots of shots could mean out of frustration shooting from anywhere and hitting the corner flag. From the stats we had 5 shots on target the whole game.

In my view the play was too slow. We would have developed more clear cut chances had the play been quicker, thus more exciting and the crowd would have responded hence the need for the drum.

Like I said the match was promising for a first match of the season. Maybe with better familiarity the speed and more excitement will follow.

As much as I've tried to accept the drum and I'm fortunate that my seat is in the Cathedral area well away from the tub thumpin'...I just find it a bit 'ick'....Now if the Cozy Powell lad was allowed into the Director's box to bash his skin and was sat behind Stu, Zoe, Neppers Tom, Ed Balls when he's there or our Majority Shareholding duo on match days.....I'd personally purchase the lad a full kit that would put the late John Bonham's skin set to shame....

Oh.....and I'd also throw in a 'Top Rank' sized gong in for good measure.....image.jpeg.79dee1f8fcae83438e2d0e7a025250a1.jpeg

On match days I'll be the one with a huge grin an' wearing ear-plugs with industrial ear-defenders over them and occasionally giving my thumb's up and applauding the tub-thumper....'Oh yeah'....'Go for it son!'.....

It'd be money well spent and an absolute sublime joy to witness..... 

Edited by Mello Yello
  • Haha 2

Reading that thread, discount at the hosting pub for those wearing the CE merchandise. 

drum planning to be at QPR too. 

so that another 3pts and progress in the cup guaranteed!

Happy days..

8 hours ago, Badger said:

An interesting suggestion but

1. I think that it would be too expensive

2. The importance of corners is exaggerated by fans

Presumably you don't like the other new-fangled ideas like PA announcers and music as the players walk on the pitch, Or would you like to ban singing, raising your voice or any other signs of excitement? I think that you'll find an armchair more comfortable!

Listen to the happy clappy. I'm sure your sort will be glad when they stop that football stuff and get on with the fireworks, the flags, the PA man announcing witless guff. I make no apologies for going to watch the football. Something I have been doing for many a long decade. I can also remember when the chanting and songs were original and topical. Not as now where the same moronic 'song' is bleated out while a handful of spotty herberts gather round a drum like witches round a cauldron oblivious to what is going on, on the pitch.

"Don't cheer, we haven't been told to yet. Don't swear, that is naughty. Buy a  half 'n half scarf. And remember to get there at least an hour before, and not stand up until the PA man tells you, and never, never run on to the pitch after a memorable game."

I've seen your sort come and go.  And doubtlessly will when football stops being an experience and Carrow Road is no longer referred to as a destination.

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Listen to the happy clappy. I'm sure your sort will be glad when they stop that football stuff and get on with the fireworks, the flags, the PA man announcing witless guff. I make no apologies for going to watch the football. Something I have been doing for many a long decade. I can also remember when the chanting and songs were original and topical. Not as now where the same moronic 'song' is bleated out while a handful of spotty herberts gather round a drum like witches round a cauldron oblivious to what is going on, on the pitch.

"Don't cheer, we haven't been told to yet. Don't swear, that is naughty. Buy a  half 'n half scarf. And remember to get there at least an hour before, and not stand up until the PA man tells you, and never, never run on to the pitch after a memorable game."

I've seen your sort come and go.  And doubtlessly will when football stops being an experience and Carrow Road is no longer referred to as a destination.

"Oh why can't things be like they always use to be" he whined? I've heard it all before - "eeee all we had to eat all day was a cup of cold sick ,,, but we were happy." Sorry, the world has changed and it's not going back to how it was when you were a lad I'm afraid.

If you've been going for as long as you claim you will remember the half full grounds, the fights and threat of violence, but no doubt to you it was better then. You can moan as much as you like but if you acquired wisdom to go with your years you will realise that the world changes and you can't stop it.

"Oh why can't things be like they always use to be" he whined?

I think you'll find, as will others, that I never made any such remark. Yet here you are putting your words into quotation marks and attributing them to me. I can't think of any good reason to carry on a discourse with a liar such as your self.

Pot, Kettle, black!

55 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Yet here you are putting your words into quotation marks and attributing them to me.

But one hour before, you did exactly the same and whilst I don't normally like to debate at a level as low as yours, I'm afraid to say you started it. It is obviously a pathetically low level of debate, but at least has the merit that you might understand it - perhaps? 🤔 

Quite happy for you to block me - I can't imagine that you would ever have anything say that would ever be even slightly stimulating - I leave you to your VHS copies of the "Good Old Days." 🤣

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Are the CITY Elite, the lower Barclay? 

I sat lower Barclay for the Stoke game & enjoyed the drum, do the players sitting next to the drum have to wear ear defenders though? I’m picturing 10 of the “city elite” in bright orange ear defenders. 

My season ticket seat in the south stand massive, is pretty quiet at times & the drum is a welcome lift. 

9 hours ago, JamieNorfolk said:

Are the CITY Elite, the lower Barclay? 

I sat lower Barclay for the Stoke game & enjoyed the drum, do the players sitting next to the drum have to wear ear defenders though? I’m picturing 10 of the “city elite” in bright orange ear defenders. 

My season ticket seat in the south stand massive, is pretty quiet at times & the drum is a welcome lift. 

No they all stand round like something out of football factory pretending they are well ard.

Couple of cans of wife beater before the game and 1 man becomes 10.

Elite is one of those words others use to describe you not something you pin on yourself.....

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Elite is one of those words others use to describe you not something you pin on yourself.....

No they print it on their t shirts.

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

No they print it on their t shirts.

Should make them nice n easy to round up if ever thats needed.   Then can just follow their whatsapp  group and collect any stragglers. They've  not been any  real trouble so far  though have they ? . Just acting tough innit?

20 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Should make them nice n easy to round up if ever thats needed.   Then can just follow their whatsapp  group and collect any stragglers. They've  not been any  real trouble so far  though have they ? . Just acting tough innit?

Oh come on they’re well ‘ard 

On 08/08/2023 at 09:37, essex canary said:

We could try a stirring half time speech.

I think that may have been tried before!!

I must say though that even after all these years it’s remembered by friends who aren’t even football fans.

22 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Oh come on they’re well ‘ard 

I thought it was the drum sticks in their pockets! 

10 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

No they all stand round like something out of football factory pretending they are well ard.

Couple of cans of wife beater before the game and 1 man becomes 10.

Good grief, you miserable git! 

Young lads, having a good time. I know it's been a while, but surely you can remember those days!

Stop being a dinosaur and chill.. 😎

• Like 2