2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

never take their seat until 5 minutes befrore kick off.

What's the issue with that? You don't go and sit in the cinema an hour before the film starts do you. 

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

What's the issue with that? You don't go and sit in the cinema an hour before the film starts do you. 

Whatever you do don't take it in the context of the whole post which was in regard to the whinge merchants who complain about loud music, bright lights, the drum, pyrotechnics et al.

27 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Whatever you do don't take it in the context of the whole post which was in regard to the whinge merchants who complain about loud music, bright lights, the drum, pyrotechnics et al.

You sound like the village idiot who marvels at such things. It must be very annoying for you when those men run about the pitch.

If you're unlucky enough to sit / stand very close to the drummer I would bet that those who like it would quickly change their opinion.

I was at Reading last season and just before kick off the drummer and his mates encamped in the row immediately behind me. The noise was bloody awful and totally ruined what little enjoyment I got from the game! The main problem is that if you were really close like I was., all you hear is the drum. I couldn't hear or experience any of the other singing, chants from the travelling Yarmy as the drum drowned out everything else. It was truly awful. At half time a few fans in front of me had had enough and moved to some empty rows further lower down in the stand. Did City fans need a drum to create the atmosphere at the Man City home game in 2019 or the Bayern Munich home game or Old Farm Derbies? Answers on the back of a fag packet please.

13 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

If you're unlucky enough to sit / stand very close to the drummer I would bet that those who like it would quickly change their opinion.

I was at Reading last season and just before kick off the drummer and his mates encamped in the row immediately behind me. The noise was bloody awful and totally ruined what little enjoyment I got from the game! The main problem is that if you were really close like I was., all you hear is the drum. I couldn't hear or experience any of the other singing, chants from the travelling Yarmy as the drum drowned out everything else. It was truly awful. At half time a few fans in front of me had had enough and moved to some empty rows further lower down in the stand. Did City fans need a drum to create the atmosphere at the Man City home game in 2019 or the Bayern Munich home game or Old Farm Derbies? Answers on the back of a fag packet please.

The drum creating a cracking atmosphere on Saturday. 

It’s very much needed. The Hull fans remarked on the atmosphere, and the influence the drum had. They are not wrong. I’d go as far to say it got us over the line for the win.

Vive la Tambouriner! 

Due to the defending that caused the Hull goal the atmosphere could  have turned. The drum just helped maintain the support levels. This definitely helped the players.

You could argue that a drum shouldn't be required but bearing in mind where we have come from with two seasons of pretty rotten football and performances we need all the help we can get.

Long may it continue and we keep seeing 96th minute winners!

I am fairly certain with the improved effort shown, two stoppage time goals etc the atmosphere would have been the same without the drum.

Funny how when we win the drum gets the credit, despite being there for defeats too, when it doesn't get mentioned. We have also won without the drum, so quite simply it makes no difference to the result. 

Edited by Greavsy

I sit at the front of the Barclay upper near the drum. I don't have an issue with it and for me improves the atmosphere greatly. It's the small things like improving that atmosphere that can lift the players which may have impacted their play. Resulting in that last minute winner!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NCFC-Palmer said:

I sit at the front of the Barclay upper near the drum. I don't have an issue with it and for me improves the atmosphere greatly. It's the small things like improving that atmosphere that can lift the players which may have impacted their play. Resulting in that last minute winner!

You are a lot further away from it than I was at Reading I can assure you. I couldn't hear anything else apart from that incessant drumming so no idea what was being sung by Yarmy that night. It ruined the atmosphere for me I can tell you. 

8 minutes ago, essex canary said:

In the last promotion season Delia was doubtless beating on her drum.

Of course you don't have a drum which you are continually beating now do you ?

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

You are a lot further away from it than I was at Reading I can assure you. I couldn't hear anything else apart from that incessant drumming so no idea what was being sung by Yarmy that night. It ruined the atmosphere for me I can tell you. 

Would you rather suffer it for the betterment of the team? Or watch a drab match in a library? 

You sound very delicate.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Would you rather suffer it for the betterment of the team? Or watch a drab match in a library? 

You sound very delicate.

Believe me if you had sat directly in front of that thing you would probably share my opinion! 

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The drum creating a cracking atmosphere on Saturday. 

It’s very much needed. The Hull fans remarked on the atmosphere, and the influence the drum had. They are not wrong. I’d go as far to say it got us over the line for the win.

Vive la Tambouriner! 

The drum really doesn’t ‘make’ an atmosphere, that comes from seeing decent performances on the pitch.  If anything it ruins it as it drowns out any alternative to the “chant” it is doing, which is extremely limited.

If there has to be a drum to ‘create’ anything it ought to be in the river end.

I think it's tough to argue the drum didn't enhance the atmosphere on Saturday, though of course the football helped. I'm generally a fan of it, but equally I've never had it parked right behind me. I'm Upper Barclay A block and have a bit of distance from it, so I can't speak to anyone else's experience being next to it.

Can’t usually hear it much in River End but was near them at the Barnet friendly and it was very annoying.  Those in the group somehow seem more concerned about how great they are and the drum that they don’t take much notice of what’s happening on the pitch.  (Expect you’ll think I’m typical of River End fans!!)

48 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The drum really doesn’t ‘make’ an atmosphere, that comes from seeing decent performances on the pitch.  If anything it ruins it as it drowns out any alternative to the “chant” it is doing, which is extremely limited.

I totally agree with your logic.

Barclay end is the self proclaimed noisy end, fair enough. So the other ends by default need some uplift, so would make sense to put it.in those areas. 

However as a ST holder in the other areas I don't want it near me thank you. I'm not a nimby, as if I had my way it wouldn't be at the ground at all. 

The drum guys done a good job again, keeping things going after we conceded. The rest of the ground fell immediately silent so was a bit of a relief.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Nonsense! 

It absolutely does. It gets songs started and helps keep things going. 

Carrow Road is a morgue too often. It would’ve been the same after the Hull goal, but for the drum. If you think different, you’re deluded! There are countless examples of terrible atmospheres… Carra needs all the help it can get at the moment.

Viva la drum! 
Viva la Flags! 
Out with the Namby Pamby’s!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Nonsense! 

It absolutely does. It gets songs started and helps keep things going. 

Carrow Road is a morgue too often. It would’ve been the same after the Hull goal, but for the drum. If you think different, you’re deluded! There are countless examples of terrible atmospheres… Carra needs all the help it can get at the moment.

Viva la drum! 
Viva la Flags! 
Out with the Namby Pamby’s!

Songs? It might help if the guy actually knew how to drum in the slightest.  Having a drum doesn’t make you a drummer, it makes you a person who can make a noise.

4 hours ago, Greavsy said:

I am fairly certain with the improved effort shown, two stoppage time goals etc the atmosphere would have been the same without the drum.

Funny how when we win the drum gets the credit, despite being there for defeats too, when it doesn't get mentioned. We have also won without the drum, so quite simply it makes no difference to the result. 

Precisely.  All too often last season when it was there it went silent after 20 minutes.  It’s ridiculous to go on about it being so great when we win, when it’s also there when we lose.

I’m going to Southampton on Saturday- I just hope I’m nowhere near if he’s there.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

We would string him up.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Just completed the survey sent to me by the club. I remarked how much I loved the drum.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Just completed the survey sent to me by the club. I remarked how much I loved the drum.

Careful Pantso, they might swap your seat with the ones next to the drum….

• Haha 1