Branston Pickle

Why are people not keen on Parker?

8 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

not keen on Parker i think he is a good champs manager but not when it gets to PL ,

exactly why we got rid of Farkeย 

Donโ€™t we need a good championship manager? We, quite simply, do not have the money to compete in the premiership! As the history tells us, as does being a โ€˜self fundingโ€™ club.

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ok, fair point, but arenโ€™t they all a puntย one way or another? ย Thereโ€™s left field punts and educated punts though, Parker sitsย well in the latter category.

Yes, I suppose.

But Webber has to show that the next appointment follows logic set out by some ideological parameters and vision for how he wants this football club to move forward and play football. Everything he promised us when Farke would eventually leave, that didnโ€™t materialise with appointing Smith.ย 

Benefit of doubt, perhaps he really did rate Smith and thought the stars aligned when he suddenly became available (he had interviewed him earlier in their careers). But Smith and his style was never continuity, and Webber took a gamble.ย 

Webber has no such benefit this time. Far, far from it. Scott Parker would represent a similar gamble, or punt, as you say.ย 

Iโ€™ve a question mark over Scott Parker too. This level heโ€™d be good I think - but if we went up with him thereโ€™d be undoubtedly be that sense of history repeating all over again (unless heโ€™s gone away and had a big think about his approach).ย 

Webberโ€™s statement yโ€™day emphasised the principal aim of promotion this season, so thatโ€™s where the focus should be. Next season should almost be partitioned off for now.ย 

Iโ€™m not sure Scottโ€™s the best candidate or is even in the frame, but if he was:ย 

Not that heโ€™s take it, but Iโ€™d get Parker in on a short term contract to the summer. If he comes good, great. We all win, both parties get another promotion. Reassess the situation in the summer and go for someone else if our financial plan/clout isnโ€™t to his liking. Saves him the ignominy of another sacking (with the accompanying pay-out)ย and gives us opportunity for proper succession planning.ย 

If he fails, then at least weโ€™ll unquestionably have a more interesting second half of the season. The aim will have been missed and at that point the โ€˜top downโ€™ rebuild will be inevitable - so be it.ย 

Not that Iโ€™d expect Parker toย get out of bed for such an arrangement, but with hindsight itโ€™s what Smith shouldโ€™ve been offered last November and hopefully the boardย have learned several things from that.ย 

Edited by mrdi

If Parker is that good why has no one else taken a 'punt' on him?

WBA and Middlesbrough didn't fancy him.

My concern is his personality, a 'boring basstard' some might say. Our players are pretty fragile, lacking confidence; Parker was having a go at his Bournemouth players even when they were totally outclassed by Liverpool. Just feels to ne it's the last thing they need.

• Like 2

The Norwich squad needs a damn good shake up, and I would put Dyche far ahead of Parker for providing that.

An interesting discussion on a Coventry Fans Forum regarding Robins as a candidate, although they also mention there about Paul Warne being a possibility, whom I know little about.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

My concern is his personality, a 'boring basstard' some might say. Our players are pretty fragile, lacking confidence; Parker was having a go at his Bournemouth players even when they were totally outclassed by Liverpool. Just feels to ne it's the last thing they need.

Good point re. his post-Liverpool meltdown.ย Iโ€™d forgotten aboutย that specificallyย but yeah, possibly the kind of thing that helps paint a picture of a character we donโ€™t particularly fancy.ย 

20 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Iโ€™ve a question mark over Scott Parker too. This level heโ€™d be good I think - but if we went up with him thereโ€™d be undoubtedly be that sense of history repeating all over again (unless heโ€™s gone away and had a big think about his approach).ย 

Webberโ€™s statement yโ€™day emphasised the principal aim of promotion this season, so thatโ€™s where the focus should be. Next season should almost be partitioned off for now.ย 

Iโ€™m not sure Scottโ€™s the best candidate or is even in the frame, but if he was:ย 

Not that heโ€™s take it, but Iโ€™d get Parker in on a short term contract to the summer. If he comes good, great. We all win, both parties get another promotion. Reassess the situation in the summer and go for someone else if our financial plan/clout isnโ€™t to his liking. Saves him the ignominy of another sacking (with the accompanying pay-out)ย and gives us opportunity for proper succession planning.ย 

If he fails, then at least weโ€™ll unquestionably have a more interesting second half of the season. The aim will have been missed and at that point the โ€˜top downโ€™ rebuild will be inevitable - so be it.ย 

Not that Iโ€™d expect Parker toย get out of bed for such an arrangement, but with hindsight itโ€™s what Smith shouldโ€™ve been offered last November and hopefully the boardย have learned several things from that.ย 

In fact, take Parkerโ€™s name out of this - apply this to whoever the next manager is.ย 

9 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Iโ€™d really like the to go all out to get Bielsa. Did wonders at Leeds getting them to play a style of play with little investment in the early stages. They played an amazing style of intense football. Logically the only ones who will unite the fan base are the ones who we might feel are unattainable like Bielsa.ย 

He's not on my managerial bucket list.....always has morose and pail expression....

9 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Iโ€™d really like the to go all out to get Bielsa. Did wonders at Leeds getting them to play a style of play with little investment in the early stages. They played an amazing style of intense football. Logically the only ones who will unite the fan base are the ones who we might feel are unattainable like Bielsa.ย 

Don't think it's even worth mentioning. Not even a 1% chance of him joining a Championship Norwich.

Bournemouth fans were whinging about slow turgid football last season despite hurtling towards promotion. Last thing we need here, and it won't happen anyway because he won't suit our financial model.ย 

Actually, now Iโ€™ve had a couple of coffees and the brain fog from last nightโ€™s refreshments is lifting; Iโ€™ve got a similar opinion on Parker to what I had on Smith when he was being mentioned last year.ย 
ย 

Which means itโ€™ll be Parker.ย 
ย 

Seoane looks interesting (if unlikely) and The ย Athletic have just reminded me that Wagner is availableโ€ฆ

Itโ€™s all about him. ย Would rather have someone with a little loyalty.ย 

I have a mate who is a Bournemouth fan they said his football was dreadful. In view of smith ball he canโ€™t be a serious contenderย 

11 hours ago, Payno10 said:

He canโ€™t deal with a budgetย 

Yes but I would assume here it will be obvious what the budget is. At Bournemouth and Fulham dealing with billionaire owners the budget is whatever they want it to be. At Norwich there is clarity on what is going to happen.ย 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, City 2nd said:

Donโ€™t we need a good championship manager? We, quite simply, do not have the money to compete in the premiership! As the history tells us, as does being a โ€˜self fundingโ€™ club.

Yes we do and I understand exactly what you are saying we need to get up firstย 

but if we are ever going to stand a chance in the PL we have to sign players ย / managers that can stand a chance lower Pl otherwise it will be total overhaul every time we go upย 

if it was just go up come down go up then down we should of stuck with farkeย 

Parker would basically be a Smith clone. His last two clubs fanbases didn't like him and felt they were where they were in the league despite him rather than because him. Ripping into his players and board publicly also made him look terrible, especially as O'Neil very quickly got them playing well.

18 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Russell Martin is about to be sacked given Swansea's recent run?

That would be perfect for the club...no compensation!

He wonโ€™t be sacked until they are certain Norwich have not even 1% interest. Why pay him all that money if he is about to resign.

11 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

also with Parker when he left Bournemouth Gary O'Neil got them playing better straight away that tells you somethingย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Gary Oโ€™Neil anybody? (asking for a friend).

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yep, that bit in bold is a great shout. This team is a bit lacking in confidence and fragile, the last thing they need is someone who has that in the locker.

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, that bit in bold is a great shout. This team is a bit lacking in confidence and fragile, the last thing they need is someone who has that in the locker.

Perhaps it is actuallyย what they do need? ย The playersย have largely been freeย from criticism (other than the usual moans about Kenny/Gibson), but are all decent players who are underperforming.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Perhaps it is actuallyย what they do need? ย The playersย have largely been freeย from criticism (other than the usual moans about Kenny/Gibson), but are all decent players who are underperforming.

It didn't stayย in the dressing room, that's the point. Players know when they've been off the pace. They don't need much in terms of public dressing downs and let's face it, if you've been butt-thumped 9-0 you know you've not really had a good game.

There's already been one public humiliation with that sort of scoreline. For your manager to put the boot in... nope. Big red flag for me, that.

Edited by TheGunnShow

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

did he even apply for those jobs? It strikes me he would prefer to stay down south

No way, just ask the Bournemouth and Fulham fans there take on him. Would be the same tactics as Smith and if promoted straight back down again. As previously stated O'Neil got B'**** winning straight after his sacking.

Well Parker is now out of the running.ย 

He has just been announced as the new Club Brugge coach.

https://theathletic.com/4047676/2022/12/31/scott-parker-joins-club-bruges-as-head-coach?source=user-shared-article

Champions League last 16 or the Championship? Can't really blame him.ย