Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Norwich City have made an appeal to overturn the red card

Good luck to them - Kenny was being prevented from moving forwards by the defender and was trying to free himself, his arm came up but was it deliberate or part of the reaction to try and free himself from the defender who was fouling him. It was a clear foul after all and in that case should have been a definite penalty. 

This kind of nonsense goes on all the time and even though they talk of clamping down on it, they never really do. A little pushing and shoving might be ok, but when it is a case of wrestling holds on attacking players going on, it should be called out and penalised. Penalty - and if the ref had blown up for that, Kenny would not have had to try and wrestle his way out of it.

13 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Poor decision. Ref should have given a penalty and then sent him off. However, would violence supercede the original offence.

Referees are getting off scot free. He was feckin useless and gutless and could have sorted it in the first 15 minutes. 

I found the referee's overzealous policing of the box on set pieces somewhat suspicious. Almost like he was looking for something that suited what he wanted to do. 

We'll successfully overturn the red card....and on the other side of the overturned card, it will still be red....

Resistance is futile....

Good luck to them - Kenny was being prevented from moving forwards by the defender and was trying to free himself, his arm came up but was it deliberate or part of the reaction to try and free himself from the defender who was fouling him. It was a clear foul after all and in that case should have been a definite penalty. 

This kind of nonsense goes on all the time and even though they talk of clamping down on it, they never really do. A little pushing and shoving might be ok, but when it is a case of wrestling holds on attacking players going on, it should be called out and penalised. Penalty - and if the ref had blown up for that, Kenny would not have had to try and wrestle his way out of it.

Totally agree .
 It should have been a penalty.
 The referee was not doing his job and was then taken in by some very over the top play acting.

14 hours ago, Google Bot said:

We could claim he has tourettes.  He'd have to twitch, throw his arms up and randomly swear at people on the field in the coming weeks to make it beleivable but...  ....oh wait, maybe he does?

Plenty of.evidance of Kenny and his arms up in the air at every match, randomly pointing at space or opposition... So that could help his case.. 

Watched this game on the red button with the sound off, because Sky had confused the commentaries. Granted that you get a limited view on a screen, but this referee was appalling even by EFL standards. He let so much go, including the arm raised to Cantwell right in front of him and the assault on Sargent. I thought Kenny was just shrugging off the defender, but I doubt the gutless EFL will decide not to support their ref. In the context of the game it wasn't a challenge worthy of a red card.

But people calling for VAR in the Championship? Behave! I'd much rather be talking about human error creating interest than the debacle that is the Premier League. I watched Anthony Taylor in the game at the weekend - he was dreadful (as he was at Carrow Road last season) and completely failed to uphold the laws of the game, yet again. Yet Neville and co were praising him for keeping the game flowing!

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Watched this game on the red button with the sound off, because Sky had confused the commentaries. Granted that you get a limited view on a screen, but this referee was appalling even by EFL standards. He let so much go, including the arm raised to Cantwell right in front of him and the assault on Sargent. I thought Kenny was just shrugging off the defender, but I doubt the gutless EFL will decide not to support their ref. In the context of the game it wasn't a challenge worthy of a red card.

But people calling for VAR in the Championship? Behave! I'd much rather be talking about human error creating interest than the debacle that is the Premier League. I watched Anthony Taylor in the game at the weekend - he was dreadful (as he was at Carrow Road last season) and completely failed to uphold the laws of the game, yet again. Yet Neville and co were praising him for keeping the game flowing!

Refs can’t win!    They blow up constantly and the games a farce, they let things go and they have no control…….   He wasn’t biased and we’ve got to stop blaming officials for our deficiencies - it’s just cheap!    

Just take a look at the amount of times our players (Cantwell, Aaron’s, Nunez for example) dropped on the floor under little pressure, they were rarely fouled…. It’s a big gamble doing that as we can lose possession easily, putting us under pressure….. 

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

I don't think any ref is biased; I just don't think they are generally competent in applying the laws of the game. When I used to play (at a very low level, even), the ref came into the dressing room beforehand and said stuff like, " I don't like time wasting, so I'll penalise it. I won't stand for dissent - I give what I see and I don't care who wins. I don't like shirt pulling, so I'll penalise it, but it's a contact game so controlled aggression will get some leeway."

At least it gave us an idea into what he was going to do.

The refs in the professional game are not given specific enough instructions by their ruling body so we get no consistency and no one understands what is going on. The fact that they claim time is added on for time wasting just sums up how far adrift they are in understanding "s***house" tactics.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think any ref is biased; I just don't think they are generally competent in applying the laws of the game. When I used to play (at a very low level, even), the ref came into the dressing room beforehand and said stuff like, " I don't like time wasting, so I'll penalise it. I won't stand for dissent - I give what I see and I don't care who wins. I don't like shirt pulling, so I'll penalise it, but it's a contact game so controlled aggression will get some leeway."

At least it gave us an idea into what he was going to do.

The refs in the professional game are not given specific enough instructions by their ruling body so we get no consistency and no one understands what is going on. The fact that they claim time is added on for time wasting just sums up how far adrift they are in understanding "s***house" tactics.

Your usually an astute poster but this isn’t your best post this time!    What’s to say the refs don’t lay down their intentions beforehand….   Fact is the rules are the problem, absolutely farcical re handball and the slightest touch means it’s now acceptable that a player has a ‘right’ to go down….   They have no right to do that, They’ve been given a right to just cheat!    I like seeing refs telling them to get up!   It’s pathetic!    To get to this level, these players have to demonstrate strength and balance otherwise they wouldn’t make it as professional footballers, yet all of a sudden they start getting paid and they start dropping on the floor. That’s not the refs fault when players cheat, but the grief they get means that any sensible person would not take on that role, it’s simply not worth it.

Hence, we get referees that haven’t played the game and as a consequence don’t understand the game and therefore what can we expect.

For that reason, it’s not that they aren’t given specific enough instructions, it’s that they don’t really understand the dynamics of the game sufficiently to apply common sense.

The ref on Tuesday gave us nine minutes extra which is far more than was expected.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think any ref is biased;

Having played over a decade i'd definetly, 100%-edly, hand heartedly, put my life on it, disagree with that statement! 🙂

As we’ve appealed, does this mean Kenny can play until we get the result of the hearing ? Perhaps we’re being a bit crafty with it

28 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

As we’ve appealed, does this mean Kenny can play until we get the result of the hearing ? Perhaps we’re being a bit crafty with it

No, guilty until proven innocent in football I'm afraid

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ said:

No, guilty until proven innocent in football I'm afraid

But if he doesn’t play Saturday and then they decide that he actually was innocent he only gets two of the three games back doesn’t he ?

It's only Thursday and only going to take 6 or 7 days to choose a new PM!

A fairly quick decision I would have thought. 

23 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

But if he doesn’t play Saturday and then they decide that he actually was innocent he only gets two of the three games back doesn’t he ?

I think they usually hold the hearing before the next fixture if possible so assume it'll happen tomorrow

• Like 1

I’m totally biased, prejudiced and myopic, but appears to me we have been denied numerous pens, and Sargent suffers from being v honest and not putting in a double salchow ( or whatever it is called). 

Appeal has been dismissed. 3 match ban for Kenny 

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Appeal has been dismissed. 3 match ban for Kenny 

No Kenny for three  games then

Not a surprise - they will back the ref almost always.  I don’t think it was a punch at all, not that you’d know from the reaction of their player who deserves an Oscar.

You’d hope professionals would actually behave more professionally rather than like complete tosspots, but ultimately when on the pitch they are all cheats.

Don't disagree with the dismissal, but a little confused over something else maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can shed some light on.

Imran Louza, who scored the first goal for Watford against us, as far as I know is under investigation for spitting at another player with a potential 6-game ban in the offing. Since then he's played in two fixtures for them (admittedly getting injured in the second) and still no verdict. 

Not implying it would have made a difference to our result, just confused as to why ours McLeans decision has been signed, sealed, delivered before the next game but a 6-game ban decision is just as-and-when?

26 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Don't disagree with the dismissal, but a little confused over something else maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can shed some light on.

Imran Louza, who scored the first goal for Watford against us, as far as I know is under investigation for spitting at another player with a potential 6-game ban in the offing. Since then he's played in two fixtures for them (admittedly getting injured in the second) and still no verdict. 

Not implying it would have made a difference to our result, just confused as to why ours McLeans decision has been signed, sealed, delivered before the next game but a 6-game ban decision is just as-and-when?

McLean had already been sent off and resultingly banned for 3 games. Louza was not, so would be a retrospective ban if found to be true. Difference is McLean is guilty until proven innocent due to the referee sending him off for the incident in question, Louza is innocent until proven guilty as the officials missed it at the time. 

On 20/10/2022 at 12:04, Justin time said:

Smith had to appeal this as he can’t think of anyone else to be first name on his team sheet.🤔

This actual makes me happy, very sad I know but it will be good to see our norwich team without him for a change