Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Time for Angus?

Krul gave away possession for the second goal yesterday.

Then got caught out at his near post for the third - despite getting two hands to it.

In any other position, if a player was making the mistakes Krul is making he would be dropped.

Time to give Gunn a chance?

Just now, Pyro Pete said:

Then got caught out at his near post for the third - despite getting two hands to it.

In any other position, if a player was making the mistakes Krul is making he would be dropped.

I can see arguments for both. On the one hand, everyone has a bad day at the office from time to time and it's atypical for him to fluff as extremely as this, but on the other hand Gunn's a decent keeper who deserves a go in my view. 

Krul always has a mistake in him, normally through gifting possession to the opposition in dangerous areas. The third goal was really poor being beaten so easily at his near post. Maybe it is time to give Gunn an extended run and build for the future 

2 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

for whatever reason Krul doesn't seem to be the same confident keeper he was a couple of years back

Get the feeling that he's not all too conffident right now, he's clearly not been at his best and it made it loud that he wanted to take part in the world cup only to get kicked out of the dutch team, told he will never play for them again and was replaced by a 39 year old who had never even played for the team before 

Kruls kicking has been an issue all season and he payed the price yesterday, on the third goal any half decent keeper saves that . I think it's 50 / 50 between him and gunn so I can see arguments for both to get the nod for the next game, is Angus overated because of his dad probably , however barden is and will prove to be superior to both in time!

I like Krul, he has been brilliant for us since he's been here, but yesterday was just another example of how his decision making & his distribution has declined. Gunn has to be given a chance & not just for a few games either. 

I don't think the second goal was really Krul's fault. Either one of Aarons or Gibbs could've reached the ball easily before Fernandez, but they just left it to each other and by the time they realised that Fernandez was getting there first it was too late.

But he could've reacted quicker to the third, and I actually said at the start of the season that Krul wouldn't finish the season as number one. He clearly isn't the player he once was.

If we had a cup game I think Gunn would be in, play in the cup and not have a mare and the place would be his. But it's a massive call, probably in terms of squad harmony one below changing captain.

Gunn has every right to knock on Smiths door but I guess equally Krul can point back to several key saves he's made over recent games. 

I wouldn't have a problem with Gunn being given a go mind.

Krul has been great servant and a fine piece of business on a free.

Two years ago I would have said he was arguably our most important player alongside Emi, but time moves on and I think the decline has set in.

Not just yesterday btw, he just doesn't seem as confident and mobile as he once did. Think Gunny deserves a chance now.

I think the sun was a big factor in both their third, and our first. For both, the keepers moved a fraction too late as they possibly couldn’t see the ball coming. That said, Tim does seem to have lost that composure he had, and Angus has to take up the mantle at some point. 

Krul is still a good keeper in terms of making saves...their third was a complete freak and he was wrong footed.

Where I do have issue with him is with the playing the ball out from the back and the kind of thing which lead to their second goal yesterday.

The sport of football is by nature compared to other sports a low scoring game.typically you may only get 2 or 3 goals in a game.

If one of those has been gifted to the opposition by an error through playing out from the back , you have to ask if the trade off is worth it.

Is Krul being instructed to rake these risks or is he making these judgements himself?

Would Gunn be taking the same risks?

Always reluctant to swap out a keeper.

Kruls always had an error in him, don't feel he's the problem.

The first goal left the pne wide open for a free header, not kruls fault 

Gunn or McGovern need to come in against Watford, the 3rd goal had a slight deflection but any decent goalkeeper would have try to get ball over the bar or the near post instead of palming the ball into the net.

Don't think you can blame Krul for the third goal - it takes a big deflection of our defenders boot. Look on the slo-mo video from behind, it takes a clear deflection- hard for any goalkepper once they have adjusted for the original shot and have to change that.

Had a part in the second goal, but it was a bit dithery between aarons and Nunez - all culpable imo. 

Enough to warrant a change of goalie?  Don't know, Gunny is just as good as Krul imo, but you can't blame a goalkeeper for a goal that takes a wicked deflection.

Completely. Krul was arguably at least partly at fault for two goals yesterday and made silly decisions all match. This seems to be the norm rather than the exception this season.

He was a good shot-stopper but how many saves has he actually made this season? Most matches maybe only one or two tops, it’s not like the opposition are peppering our goal but he seems to end up picking the ball out of the net fairly frequently. 

Totally agree with the post. Far too many mistakes this season. As you said any other player making the same mistake would be dropped, well almost apart from the Mayor.

5 minutes ago, Clint said:

Completely. Krul was arguably at least partly at fault for two goals yesterday and made silly decisions all match. This seems to be the norm rather than the exception this season.

He was a good shot-stopper but how many saves has he actually made this season? Most matches maybe only one or two tops, it’s not like the opposition are peppering our goal but he seems to end up picking the ball out of the net fairly frequently. 

How many saves do you want him to make? Two potentially match saving saves yesterday, not at fault for the first, partially for the second, but not for the third (people seem to be ignoring the deflection the ball made).  Our goal difference is pretty good and we haven't lost before today in nine - or is it ten games. can't be doing too much wrong. 

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Gunn should of been in goal from the first game of the season

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How many saves do you want him to make? Two potentially match saving saves yesterday, not at fault for the first, partially for the second, but not for the third (people seem to be ignoring the deflection the ball made).  Our goal difference is pretty good and we haven't lost before today in nine - or is it ten games. can't be doing too much wrong. 

Rubbish. He made nothing other than regulation stops yesterday - and spilled one of those to the only attacker in the area. He’s playing in the Championship and supposed to be an international, not a guy playing Sunday park football.

Put simply, he cost us a goal at Reading and again (possibly twice) yesterday.

Edited by Branston Pickle

For the third ball clearly deflected off Gibbs not Krui's error.  Can't see how at fault for second or first.  Just another scapegoat defenders primarily at fault for all 3.  Not calling for any of them to get replaced, of course not no other options.  Also at Reading same comments.  Time and time again defence woeful and error stricken.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Don't think you can blame Krul for the third goal - it takes a big deflection of our defenders boot. Look on the slo-mo video from behind, it takes a clear deflection- hard for any goalkepper once they have adjusted for the original shot and have to change that

Agree with this. It looked really bad in real time, but when you see that angle from behind the goal, Krul takes a step to his left to cover the original shot and is then wrong-footed when it takes the deflection. One of those things, I reckon.

42 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The bald fact is that Krul has cost 3 pts in the last two games

Think this is a bit harsh. Even if you blame him for Reading's equaliser (and personally I think Núñez has to shoulder most of the blame), you surely have to factor in the excellent save he made from Carroll's header?

Edit: on the general question, should Gunn come in, I'm not sure. Can certainly see the arguments for it.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

Last time Krul made some high profile errors Smith dropped him, wouldn’t be surprised if he does it again.

If you’re Gunn you’ve got to be walking into Smiths office after that asking when you get a chance to prove you can do better.