This feels like a Woy fcuk up happening all over again.

I mean you can't sack him 56 days ahead of a major tourno, but this is shocking.

Southgate has done a fantastic job, miles pst expectation but does unfortunately look like we have reached the end of a cycle.

Don’t get me wrong, going to Italy is never an easy fixture but some of the thinking looks muddled now and we are in danger of being undercooked and confused come the World Cup. Why put 4 right backs and 2 left backs in the squad and then put Saka in at left wing back? Why only pick Toney for this squad not the last one and then not play him?

Southgate hasn't done an excellent job at all, he got lucky. He's beaten the teams we should do and lost every time to half decent teams. 

He's a fraud. 

• Like 1

Compared to us, England players are super assured when playing the ball around at the back.

Still hasn’t done them any good in terms of creating chances though 🤔

13 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I bet Southgate's the kind of guy who goes into the Chinese and they have his order waiting before he's even placed it.

Bang on, they would just want that card swiped ASAP and get him on his way. What would be his order? Boiled rice and Chips?

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Over 450 minutes without scoring a goal in open play.. Dear oh dear. But he's the FA yes man so he'll be here until the end of the world Cup at the very least.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

The players (or lack of them) is dictating the system rather than Southgate's style or tactics. Just feels such a shambles at this point in time.

World Cups don't come around very often and it just feels we are throwing it away.

Awful doesn’t come close - for Southgate to have “coached” a side that creates so little across 5 games with so many great attacking players at his disposal takes an awful lot of doing.  

I can't get excited about international football. Win or lose.

Maybe there was a time when international football was the highest standard in the game.

But that hasn't been the case for some time.

• Like 4

Ah Well .🤔

Gareth Southgate says England's performance in their defeat by Italy was "a step in the right direction" despite the Three Lions being relegated to the Nations League's second tier.

Southgate is plop, we have had the easiest draws in the last two tournaments and have some of the best players globally playing in pretty much unarguably the most competitive and fastest league in the planet, against the worlds best for practise……and we set up like tonight and play horribly dull football only to still lose. 

Southgate OOOOOOOUUUUUUTTTTT

9 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Southgate hasn't done an excellent job at all, he got lucky. He's beaten the teams we should do and lost every time to half decent teams. 

He's a fraud. 

A thoroughly decent bloke but you're right. The average ranking of the teams England beat in the last 2 tournaments was 20. When they play a top 8 team they lose. Quite simply he got incredibly lucky with the draws. 

Not so lucky this time round. If it goes according to seeding England will need to beat France, Belgium and Brazil to win it. I can't even see them beating Wales. 

I've just heard Southgate on the radio. He says England keep losing because the Nations League means they have to play good teams. Oh dear. The difficulty he has is that England will now be in the 2nd pot in 2 weeks time for the Euro 2024 draw. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

I can't get excited about international football. Win or lose.

Maybe there was a time when international football was the highest standard in the game.

But that hasn't been the case for some time.

I think it’s because there is far too many pointless friendlies and now this pointless tournament. I think the WC or the EC always bring excitement and interest, and it should be confined solely to that, with maybe a maximum of two friendlies which must be played in the week before either of the tournaments start. 

• Like 1

Southgate is not a great manager. His time in club football proved that.

To set up a side to play such boring pointless football when he has Kane, Saka, Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Maddison at his disposal says it all. 

Edited by duke63

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

Southgate is not a great manager. His time in club football proved that.

To set up a side to play such boring pointless football when he has Kane, Saka, Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Maddison at his disposal says it all. 

Dean Smith has achieved far more as a club manager and has more experience than Southgate had when he was appointed England manager. 

For some reason English coaches struggle mightily at the highest level. Hopefully with the appointment and huge success of Wiegman in the women's game the FA will broaden its horizons.