Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

First 25 minutes of the second half

City came out after the break and looked bereft of ideas, gave the ball away, couldn’t find a team mate, absolutely terrible, and what did Smith do………..sweet fa, just stood there with his hands in his pockets. Alex Neal or Daniel Farke would be going berserk on the touch line. Come on Smiith let’s have a bit of passion.

I think the plan was to draw Coventry out and part of the tactical plan.

Smith shouted something to Aaron's who was not overly hyped.

Moments later Aaron's stopped dead and sent a crap ball to sergant who motioned at max to travel up the wing.

Max then waves his hands pointed at the bench and shrugged.

The next 5 mins max refused to really move out of our half then the subs hit.

But yeh flat af dont think Coventry fell for it either

Edited by Nexus_Canary

I thought that Coventry clearly came out with a plan and put us under some real pressure. However, aside from a couple of mistakes, we restricted them to a few pot-shots. Ultimately they lacked the quality in the final pass. 

I also thought we took our foot off the gas a little. It was pretty hot and very humid, especially when the sun was out. It's understandable at 2-0.

Maybe the subs were a little late but, again, they were effective. Hernandez causes real problems and Dowell has great vision.

You aren't going to dominate the full 90 minutes so keeping a clean sheet when you have a dip in level is probably a good sign overall. 

Was very poor, in fact I would say the worst 2nd half at home since Brentford last season,

But, on the plus side we could easily have been 4-0 up at half time and probably should have scored 2 or 3 more 2nd half in the end.

We shouldn't really complain after a 3-0 to go top, its just frustrating that we don't yet have that ruthless streak Farkes sides had, and we gift poor teams good chances.

Burnley away will be interesting!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I think the plan was to draw Coventry out and part of the tactical plan.

Smith shouted something to Aaron's who was not overly hyped.

Moments later Aaron's stopped dead and sent a crap ball to sergant who motioned at max to travel up the wing.

Max then waves his hands pointed at the bench and shrugged.

The next 5 mins max refused to really move out of our half then the subs hit.

But yeh flat af dont think Coventry fell for it either

Aaron’s had words with Josh over where he wanted the ball and really looked pissed off

All OK at end kisses and hugs all round

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Just now, glory.win or die. said:

Was very poor, in fact I would say the worst 2nd half at home since Brentford last season,

But, on the plus side we could easily have been 4-0 up at half time and probably should have scored 2 or 3 more 2nd half in the end.

We shouldn't really complain after a 3-0 to go top, its just frustrating that we don't yet have that ruthless streak Farkes sides had, and we gift poor teams good chances.

Burnley away will be interesting!

‘Ruthless streak’ - that’s the side that relied on a series of 90th minute winners due to having allowed sides back at them?  Almost the antitheses of ruthless, not that we were complaining!

The third quarter definitely wasn’t the best, but Coventry aren’t a bad side and had clearly stepped up and we moved into a containment pattern ~ not what us fans wanted but the subs soon freshened things up.  No one dominates for 90 minutes, that’s just the way it is. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

City came out after the break and looked bereft of ideas, gave the ball away, couldn’t find a team mate, absolutely terrible, and what did Smith do………..sweet fa, just stood there with his hands in his pockets. Alex Neal or Daniel Farke would be going berserk on the touch line. Come on Smiith let’s have a bit of passion.

Beyond words… we’ve just won 3-0! 

• Like 5

The way I saw it is that they compressed secondhalf and we didn't need to chase the game so fell asleep a bit.  I did think that if Coventry stepped it up we could get caught out, as it's a common pattern in football.

As it was, our sleepiness encouraged them to give it a go, which then allowed us to go again.. And bingo 3-0.

As I see it - It's just a change in gear during the game, happens all the time.  We finished them off and barely left 3rd,  and that's something which is super promising for me.

The reserve we have in this league should not be understated. 

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3

I don't think we were bereft of ideas. I just think the 4-3-3 system can leave a lot of room in midfield when we sit back just as we did at the start of the 2nd half. I don't like it when we allow the opposition back into the game.

27 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Again, why the need to rewrite history just to have something to whinge about regarding Smith?

Farke was constantly criticised for his lack of involvement on the touchline and surely the one negative all fans had was his inability to change a game when the play wasn't going our way. No plan B was a constant comment. Now we have a coach who's tried and trying various methods and formations of play- and we get this nonsense OP.

As a ST holder behind the dugouts I can say Farke did show passion at times but pales in comparison to many managers, and I'd say Smith is certainly as passionate, and much much much more vocal, along with Shakespeare.

There was a good post saying that fans only see what they want rather than what's actually happening. I agree in this situation that people simply don't want Smith to succeed and therfore are doing all they can to find a negative. When actually we should be celebrating a coach who's not got the star players we lauded last time out, who's bringing in youth and new signings to the team, who's tried different styles (but we have no identity mwah mwah 😭😭) and.... has got us to the top of the league. If Farke was in charge, I guarantee we would not have the bleating about his touchline antics, poor 25mins in second half (when already 2-0 up!!!) and that it was a missed opportunity to push ahead our GD.

We won 3-0 and are top of the league. Happy days.

• Like 10

They just looked tired to me, why are you going to bust gut when you have so many games and you are cruising it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't think we were bereft of ideas. I just think the 4-3-3 system can leave a lot of room in midfield when we sit back just as we did at the start of the 2nd half. I don't like it when we allow the opposition back into the game.

You clearly missed the change in formation then. 

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The losing side rallies after a half time rocket… shocker, never happens 🤯

Hard not to be better in a half you could have been well out of sight in and staring down a 2-0 deficit against a clearly superior side. I can't believe how many people were demanding Robins became/becomes our next manager and essentially suggest that he would have absolutely no ability to inspire his team at half time to do better than the first half in which they conceded 2 and were lucky it wasn't at least double that.

As for Farke... just look at out goals for and against tables... there were a couple of games we put teams to bed, but there were also games where Hernandez came off the bench to help overturn a 2 goal deficit with barely ten minutes of the 90 left. 

• Like 1

They pressed us much higher up the pitch 2nd half, and moved the ball much quicker, but they still lacked the necessary skill to make us pay. As soon as Argos came on the pressure was somewhat relieved and we looked likely to score again, and we did.

On the subject of Onel, anyone else see Dabo run into him on their byline in the box, you see Dabo still reverberating 30 seconds later, and Onel barely flinched!

6 minutes ago, Petriix said:

You clearly missed the change in formation then. 

I think formation is one of our problems. Until Hayden is fit, which may be November, I don't think we have our right formation.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think formation is one of our problems. Until Hayden is fit, which may be November, I don't think we have our right formation.

You don't think the change to 4-2-3-1 gave us more control in midfield? Strange.

It was a frustrating period, mainly because unlike the first half our passing dropped and there didn't seem like many options in the middle due to them coming out and pressing us quicker. The subs worked the magic but I would perhaps have considered swapping Sara for Ramsey, who was looking tired and gave the ball away a little too much, a tad earlier. The real difference was bringing on Argos who scared the living daylights out of them every time he got the ball. At that point of the game it didn't matter too much about his lack of end product, he did his job brilliantly. 

• Like 1

It’s the first time in my long time supporting Norwich that I’ve left the ground after a big win more worried than optimistic. And for context, I’ve been accused of being Lakey in disguise before with my optimism!

We seemed clueless on the wings, as if the players had not practised wing tactics. Pass across the back, pass up the wing, no way through, pass back and across again. Repeat until something happens or we give the ball away.

Luckily we were playing Coventry today. Decent teams will punish our sloppiness at giving the ball away. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

We seemed clueless on the wings, as if the players had not practised wing tactics. Pass across the back, pass up the wing, no way through, pass back and across again.

On the right side I saw lots of interchange and short overlapping runs between Aarons, Ramsey and Nunez with Sarge floating around.  Thought we were excellent in those area first half.

Wasn't until Onel come on that we looked to exploit an out and out winger, So not sure if you're misinterpreting our gameplan as a failure to deliver on another, perhaps?

As Farke done before, Smith clearly knows we have a vast ability to tire opponents at this level and will exploit it.

Edited by Google Bot

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

You didn't call into Canary Call after the match by any chance did you?

Smith lost his rag at one point, second half with the poor interplay between Byram and Cantwell on the left. I thought Cantwell was pretty good generally but our players were not on the same wavelengths

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

They pressed us much higher up the pitch 2nd half, and moved the ball much quicker, but they still lacked the necessary skill to make us pay. As soon as Argos came on the pressure was somewhat relieved and we looked likely to score again, and we did.

On the subject of Onel, anyone else see Dabo run into him on their byline in the box, you see Dabo still reverberating 30 seconds later, and Onel barely flinched!

Dabo looked like he wanted to be subbed to me, could not handle Onel at all, he certainly did everything he could to drop a hint that he wanted to be subbed but it never happened for him.........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

You don't think the change to 4-2-3-1 gave us more control in midfield? Strange.

I didn't say that. We clearly started 4-3-3 and the tempo we played it at made us totally dominant. Todd was playing well forward. Once the 2nd half started, we dropped the tempo and gave Coventry confidence to hold onto the ball for longer periods. The changes made the difference especially Onel's pace and enthusiasm.

It showed that it doesn't matter who you play in this division, if you give them any amount of control, you take away something from your own momentum.

Is this thread and some of the following posts satire?

It's an honest question. 

A 3 nil home win and topping the table. I actually don't know. If it isn't satire,  then I think there's some on here would benefit from some intensive therapy.

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Haha 1

I was just commenting that if we played like that for twenty minutes against better sides then we’re going to get severely punished 

5 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Is this thread and some of the following posts satire?

It's an honest question. 

A 3 nil home win and topping the table. I actually don't know. If it isn't satire,  then I think there's some on here would benefit from some intensive therapy.

Jeezo , I was thinking this myself CC. You would think we had the god given right to hammer teams. Surely it is satire, if not then I would agree intensive therapy  is needed. I love when Norwich win , good god it feels like we lost with some posts. Ffs 3-0 and top of the league. Jesus some of you need to take a happy pill and enjoy the moments. It's not an exact science . It's a game of football full of good  bad and indifferent moments. Even Man city couldn't win today. 

• Thanks 1

I doubt we would have seen the same had we been trailing 0-1. Why bust gut ? It was very hot out there, and there would be endless moans on here were we to have suffered yet another few months injury trying to boost our goal average. One of the noticeable comments is how many fans always claim they would rather see a boring 1-0 win than an exciting 3-3 draw. As above "A 3 nil home win and topping the table" is enough for most, I expect.

• Like 1