Yellow Wal

Billy Gilmour transfer

1 minute ago, Ulfotto said:

The one thing I would take exception with is not having good movement ahead of him. If Pukki is playing you have a player who will always find space.

Pukki isn't winning balls over the top coming from deep in the prem though, is he? That's bread and butter for most defenses.

We just had complete lack of movement or runners out wide where you'd hope a player like Gilmour would be looking to feed.  Wingers that aren't wingers, attacking midfielders that aren't creative - the whole setup between Pukki and Krul was ****e really, injuries killed momentum on top of that.

• Like 1

I still don’t know why excuses are made for him he was hopeless to suggest otherwise is madness most disappointing loan signing since Harry Kane.

• Haha 1

Many Chelsea fans are very unhappy that such a class player is being let go so cheaply, while a lot of fans on the Brighton forum are wetting their knickers at the prospect of such a potentially great midfielder coming to the club, and at such a bargain price! One or two have mentioned that he failed to perform in the PL last season, but dismissed this as a result of him being on loan at such a poor club.

It will be really interesting to see how this one pans out. 

Edited by Sooty57

Other posters have covered Billy's strengths and weaknesses already. But I'm not surprised Chelsea have chosen to sell him. Two thoughts:

The first is that you would have expected his performances to have improved over last season with more first team matches under his belt. Unfortunately, there was little improvement. 

The second is the media briefing before Farke was sacked about Chelsea considering recalling him due to him not starting. I strongly doubt that Tuchel or his team would have briefed the media like that. Firstly, because Chelsea strongly rely on loaning players out and it is not good for them for dirty laundry to be aired in public. Secondly, because Tuchel and Farke have a good relationship. Thirdly, because, as we've seen, Tuchel just doesn't fancy Gilmour.

My conclusion from that is that someone in Gilmour's camp briefed the media. The concern here is that he's got people around him who's first resort was moaning rather than encouraging Billy to knuckle down and ride it out. The reality was, it was only a few games he didn't start in and it really misjudged the mood in Norfolk. 

I wish Gilmour well. I, like most Norwich fans, love watching technically gifted midfielders and we've had many of those down the years (among others, Crook, David Fox, Surman, Hoolahan and most recently Nunez). It's a shame it didn't work out and Gilmour won't be added to that list. 

Edited by MrBunce
  • Like 2

The 21-year-old Scotland international is not in Thomas Tuchel’s plans and he was keen to leave the club, but Chelsea had initially been reluctant to approve a permanent departure, hoping for a loan deal instead.

Brighton emerged as the main contender for Gilmour but having already loaned centre-back Levi Colwill from the Blues they had to seek a permanent deal and sources have confirmed this 90 mins that an agreement has now been reached.

Gilmour is now heading for a medical and leaving Chelsea for a fee of around £10million.

Chelsea are also believed to have negotiated a buyback clause for Gilmour, with Chelsea’s ownership reluctant to give up the 21-year-old permanently.

Best move you could make Billy , Brighton I'm sure will be an good move. Good steady team with a very very good manager. 

7 minutes ago, MrBunce said:

Other posters have covered Billy's strengths and weaknesses already. But I'm not surprised Chelsea have chosen to sell him. Two thoughts:

The first is that you would have expected his performances to have improved over last season with more first team matches under his belt. Unfortunately, there was little improvement. 

The second is the media briefing before Farke was sacked about Chelsea considering recalling him due to him not starting. I strongly doubt that Tuchel or his team would have briefed the media like that. Firstly, because Chelsea strongly rely on loaning players out and it is not good for them for dirty laundry to be aired in public. Secondly, because Tuchel and Farke have a good relationship. Thirdly, because, as we've seen, Tuchel just doesn't fancy Gilmour.

My conclusion from that is that someone in Gilmour's camp briefed the media. The concern here is that he's got people around him who's first resort was moaning rather than encouraging Billy to knuckle down and ride it out. The reality was, it was only a few games he didn't start in and it really misjudged the mood in Norfolk. 

I wish Gilmour well. I, like most Norwich fans, love watching technically gifted midfielders and we've had many of those down the years (among others, Crook, David Fox, Surman, Hoolahan and most recently Nunez). It's a shame it didn't work out and Gilmour won't be added to that list. 

I doubt anyone briefed the media. It’s not exactly hard for them to see he’s not playing and make up a story that Chelsea aren’t happy about it. Given that in the end they were happy for him to stay and Gilmour was happy to stay, did in fact knuckle down and rode it out. 

Fine, we know he did not get on well here, there’s no need to make **** up about it. 

• Like 1

Perhaps I am misremembering, but I recall that the reports at the time were "from sources" and it was even put to Tuchel. It didn't feel like a story the media would make up. As we know now, it was all a load of nonsense and Chelsea could not recall him. Certainly not my intention to "make **** up about it". 

Edited by MrBunce

SSN still banging the it's Norwich fault he was **** drum, for that reason I hope he's equally **** at Brighton just to shut those idiots up. 

Feel a bit for wee Krankie so many of us irritated as hell by him, and it's not totally his fault. The media really need to stop over hyping him or they'll kill any chance he has of a half decent career. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

SSN still banging the it's Norwich fault he was **** drum, for that reason I hope he's equally **** at Brighton just to shut those idiots up. 

Feel a bit for wee Krankie so many of us irritated as hell by him, and it's not totally his fault. The media really need to stop over hyping him or they'll kill any chance he has of a half decent career. 

Overhyped him and stomped us into the dirt. 
We really are hated by the media. Maybe we have to steal Millwalls song? "No one likes us cos we yoyo"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Guy had barely turned 20 and thrown into a defensive midfield position with **** all support. 

You're also comparing him to individual creative/attacking players who can exploit individual levels of brilliance on the ball.  If we stuck Skipp at CDM and allowed him to be overloaded we'd be saying how crap he is too - we were absolutely dire across the board last season.

Trouble with Gilmour is that you have to play to his strengths - and that means pairing him with a physical presence that can break up play, and attacking players moving off the ball and finding space for him to be the glue in the middle.  As he matures he'll start to find a his man strength and will be one of those smaller tenacious players with great ball control and quick thinking.

Compared to £9m Rashica he's an absolute steal as there's no doubting the commitment he brings.  So let's not sit here all high and mighty writing the lad off, when it was probably our setup that failed us and himself.

You're not high and mighty and writing Rashica off are you ?

Gilmour will be fine with a Kante-like figure alongside him if he's in the deep-lying playmaker role and some dynamic players further forward to aim at. His problem with us was that he seemed to be tasked with a Leitner role of being the out-ball to hard-pressed defenders and then get us onto the attack with something raking - or at least keep us moving so the opposition were kept off balance.

As we didn't have enough pace and physicality throughout the team, he didn't have many options to pass to, and as we were often overrun in midfield he was left fighting more fires than he'd expect to.

Remember, for every Pirlo, you need a Gattuso watching guard nearby. Or, for the older ones, for every Beckenbauer, you need a Schwarzenbeck keeping the coast clear.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Nah. You aren't hated at all.

From a neutral's point of view, Norwich may be a bit of a yo-yo club, but they're a real football club who still has their soul intact, which is more valuable than any bought title and trophy.

That's something to be proud of.

Can't hit a love heart on this mate so here's one I  the msg 💖

I fully agree about our community and football soul. Invaluable which is why the footballing media drives me mental in regard to Norwich in the prem

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Canterbury Cathedral and York Minster? 

Damn... wrong game.

Can I phone friend? If only I had one... 😛

I suspect Billy Gilmour is in your phone book, a close personal relationship would explain your opinions on him!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I suspect Billy Gilmour is in your phone book, a close personal relationship would explain your opinions on him!

Not sure why this dude keeps coming on here to only talk about Krankie, shouldn't he be ****ing off to Brighton's forums now? 

• Like 2

In 2000 we took another 'wonder kid' on loan and he only showed brief glimpses of what he was capable of. I remember reading an interview much later in his career where Scott Parker said those 6 games at Norwich taught him to be much more resilient in the future.

I hope Gilmour will reflect on his time with us in a similar way, until he came to us he had cameo roles in a successful Chelsea side, I hope he learns that when things get tough you need to analyse why and put it right yourself.   

• Like 1

20 year old kid isn't capable of carrying mediocre midfield in world's most competitive league shocker.

Yes, he was out of his depth for us. He was asked to do too much in the role he was given and he was never going to be our saviour. Aside from Normann's super-human efforts in a couple of games we had no one remotely capable last year. I'm afraid to say Nunez may well have also looked equally shell shocked dropped into that shizshow. Neither manager had a better option either - who was going to play instead of him? Gibbs? Let's shoot his confidence in the same way shall we.

The Pirlo comparisons are obviously way off the mark and all the press superlatives clearly did not help manage expectations. 10m seems a fair price for a still unknown quantity. Hope he does well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

20 year old kid isn't capable of carrying mediocre midfield in world's most competitive league shocker.

Yes, he was out of his depth for us. He was asked to do too much in the role he was given and he was never going to be our saviour. Aside from Normann's super-human efforts in a couple of games we had no one remotely capable last year. I'm afraid to say Nunez may well have also looked equally shell shocked dropped into that shizshow. Neither manager had a better option either - who was going to play instead of him? Gibbs? Let's shoot his confidence in the same way shall we.

The Pirlo comparisons are obviously way off the mark and all the press superlatives clearly did not help manage expectations. 10m seems a fair price for a still unknown quantity. Hope he does well.

No-one's saying he's as good as Pirlo, simply that he plays a similar position.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

No-one's saying he's as good as Pirlo, simply that he plays a similar position.

You've not been reading Facebook today then😂, full of Chelsea "fans" who have never seen him play declaring it the biggest mistake Chelsea have ever made. 

10 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

And there it is.

Said it before that if (when) wee Billy's career nose dives and he ends up at Queen of the south (may be overestimating him there) it will be put down to how we ruined his development and how if he had just stayed at Chelsea that year and made cup appearances etc he'd been a regular in a top elite club winning champions leagues etc. 

Reality is, the media can't get their heads around the fact that a youngster who was brought through an elite clubs set up, just isn't up to scratch for a team who doesn't have genuine world class superstars to support and carry the little squirt. 

So it must be the fact that little ol yo-yoing Norwich who clearly dont know how to use players just couldn't get him playing and we obviously suppressed his talents and told him not be able to pass the ball more than 5yards sideways or backwards. 

If he was the masterclass midfielder that the media believes he his, he would have elevated the performances of those around him, as it is, he needs better players around him to make him look good. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

You've not been reading Facebook today then😂, full of Chelsea "fans" who have never seen him play declaring it the biggest mistake Chelsea have ever made. 

Aye, I didn't mean FailBook when I wrote that, I just meant this thread.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

In 2000 we took another 'wonder kid' on loan and he only showed brief glimpses of what he was capable of. I remember reading an interview much later in his career where Scott Parker said those 6 games at Norwich taught him to be much more resilient in the future.

I hope Gilmour will reflect on his time with us in a similar way, until he came to us he had cameo roles in a successful Chelsea side, I hope he learns that when things get tough you need to analyse why and put it right yourself.   

We also took another Chelsea wonderkid in jimmy smith and the trajectory of his career is what I'm hoping for for Gilmour. 

Nothing personal, just so the media and alike can suck it 

As ever it's all a bit binary, either he's a world-class superstar or he'll end up in non-league. He's obviously got a lot of talent, but wasn't a good fit for us. Working under Potter at Brighton is just about the perfect move for him, so he needs to make the most of this opportunity.

I expect he'll probably be a mid level prem squad player for most of his career.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

As ever it's all a bit binary, either he's a world-class superstar or he'll end up in non-league. He's obviously got a lot of talent, but wasn't a good fit for us. Working under Potter at Brighton is just about the perfect move for him, so he needs to make the most of this opportunity.

I expect he'll probably be a mid level prem squad player for most of his career.

Agree, he'll probably work out ok in the Brighton team that sees more of the ball. Doubt he'll be the superstar some in London think, but I doubt he'll be a complete duffer either.  Came to us at the wrong time, with wrong expectations levels.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I read an analysis that showed his underlying stats were nowhere near as bad as people were making out. Ok he’s no Chelsea first teamer but Brighton aren’t mugs and they had a whole season of him with us to judge.

Looks like Brighton are well organised . 

Despite being linked with a replacement for Maupay on deadline day, Brighton were unable to secure a striker on deadline day, something which the club said it saw a bonus, not a necessity.

In total, 30 players departed from Brighton this summer – 15 of which are out on loan – bringing in more than £102 million for the club.

Potter has also made additions to his team, the most high-profile being the deadline day signing of Gilmour and Ecuadorian left-back Pervis Estupinan.

The 24-year-old defender signed from Villareal for £16m and joins fellow South American Julio Enciso at the AMEX Stadium. The 18-year-old striker arrived earlier in the window for £9.5m from Paraguayan Primera División side Libertad Asuncion.

Gilmour was not only player to join from Chelsea either, with promising defender Levi Colwill joining the Seagulls on loan for the rest of the season.

As of September 2, Potter has 23 first-team players registered in his squad and his side currently sits fourth in the table after five games.

Best move for him. Back to the seaside just like Ardrossan. 👍 

• Like 1

It can both be true that he isn't as good as some think and that we didn't help him to be his best here. It was insane to sign a lightweight teenage playmaker with zero experience and not put a solid DM next to him to help him out. The strategy in our midfield last season was so far off.

Saying that nothing he showed last season suggested it would have made sense to build our entire team around him. He'll need to bulk up and handle the physicality better if he is ever to be more than average. 

The big shock for me here is the price. Reports are it was about £7.5m rising to £10m, which actually isn't much for a player considered such a hot prospect. Players like Rhiann Brewster and Dominic Solanke cost double that. I think the fact Chelsea sold at such a low price suggests they didn't rate him as highly as some out there do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Gilmour was not only player to join from Chelsea either, with promising defender Levi Colwill joining the Seagulls on loan for the rest of the season.

Missed that they'd got Colwill as well, now he does have a bright future.