Yellow Wal

Billy Gilmour transfer

Gimour's reputation was built in the world cup when playing for Scotlland.

It must be remembered that many of the games were played against weak teams, who were more intent on defending, and as such surrendered much space around the halfway line, giving him all the space and time to pick passes and shine.

Against an England team, where Gareth Southgate also wants them to retreat to about 30 - 35 yards from our goal, again Gilmour had all the time and space he needed.

With us he proved to be quite poor when any team that pressed hard. He was also quite poor at winning the ball back or covering strong runs.

Unfortunately for him most Premiership teams press hard and do not give the opposition much time and space.

I think Mr Potter has a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Missed that they'd got Colwill as well, now he does have a bright future.

That's why they only loaned him.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

In 2000 we took another 'wonder kid' on loan and he only showed brief glimpses of what he was capable of. I remember reading an interview much later in his career where Scott Parker said those 6 games at Norwich taught him to be much more resilient in the future.

I hope Gilmour will reflect on his time with us in a similar way, until he came to us he had cameo roles in a successful Chelsea side, I hope he learns that when things get tough you need to analyse why and put it right yourself.   

Ther was another wonder kid we took on loan from spurs about ten years ago who sees his time here as a turning point in his career.... HIs name escapes me though, Barry Pane or somesuch....

• Haha 2

News

Billy Gilmour signs from Chelsea

Midfielder joins on four-year contract.

Billy Gilmour signing

By Jeremy Roberts

Brighton & Hove Albion are delighted to confirm the signing of midfielder Billy Gilmour from Chelsea for undisclosed terms.

The Scotland international has signed a four-year contract and is eligible to face Leicester City on Sunday.

Head coach Graham Potter said, “Billy arrives with a fantastic pedigree, having played in the Premier League and Champions League as well as for Scotland at last year’s Euros. He will complement our existing midfield options.

“That experience at quite a young age shows the strength of character he has and we’re really excited by his potential.

“Now it’s about allowing him the time to get used to a new environment and settling in to our club. We can’t wait to work with him.”

Edited by Mengo

18 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Don’t forget 10m in prem terms is about a £750k player in 90’s terms!

Which is where most PinkUn posters thinking comes from

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

£10m to Brighton it seems, having medical.

Good luck to the lad. Wasnt a great addition to our squad for the time and cant really be blamed for that.

• Like 2

Give him a couple of years and he could be very good. Wasn't ready for the EPL last season and probably still isn't, but clearly is a footballer.

• Like 2

Billy should do well there. His game is more suited to Brighton's style of play than ours ever was.

Farke played him in the centre of a 433 and he left too much space in behind himself out of possession and exposed our CB pair.

Smith moved him wider and it sort of worked in diminishing the defensive frailty he has out of possession but he's not suited to a midfield 3 whatever way you look at it. Besides which you don't conduct an orchestra from the wings and Billy's main attributes are his passing ability and vision.

He needs to be in the middle to be at his best, somewhere he can pull the strings.

Brighton play a 3421 and one imagines he will play in one of the central roles in the 4.

With a 3 behind him he'll have more cover to play his natural game from a central area as there is a lower chance of getting quick overloads in the central spaces behind him when out of possession with three central defenders to back him up. 

Brighton have a system which will make use of his strengths and manage his weaknesses. Good luck to him.

At his best he's a joy to watch and £10m is an absolute bargain. 

• Like 2

He's just been interviewed on the local news down here, playing the part in the Brighton kit.

He came over as pretty mature, spoke well and looked happier than he has for ages.

I'm guessing that his spell at Norwich will never go down as a good time in the life for him.

Good luck to the boy.

(Close the eyes and you would be forgiven for thinking you were listening to Wee Alex, btw.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Saying that nothing he showed last season suggested it would have made sense to build our entire team around him.

That's a bit like laying 4 wheels on your drive, borrowing an exhaust from your neighbour and throwing it down in-between.  Then saying it never made sense to build the rest of the motor because the exhaust showed "nothing".

How anyone can watch the guy and not see his ability is mind-boggling really, this was a royal **** up from the club - we all know what was needed to compete that season... And instead we just got average/unknown attacking mid options, and a kid in the middle without support.

What's more, People moan that the media/pundits are out for us - but truly, most are just being honest at what they see with our approach to the prem league.  Truth is, they've been bang on each time which is a hard pill to swallow.

So in opposition to what you've written there I think we very much should've built around him and made it a priority to pair him with a ball winning partner.  I mean, it's so obvious it hurts writing this! 🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

That's a bit like laying 4 wheels on your drive, borrowing an exhaust from your neighbour and throwing it down in-between.  Then saying it never made sense to build the rest of the motor because the exhaust showed "nothing".

How anyone can watch the guy and not see his ability is mind-boggling really, this was a royal **** up from the club - we all know what was needed to compete that season... And instead we just got average/unknown attacking mid options, and a kid in the middle without support.

What's more, People moan that the media/pundits are out for us - but truly, most are just being honest at what they see with our approach to the prem league.  Truth is, they've been bang on each time which is a hard pill to swallow.

So in opposition to what you've written there I think we very much should've built around him and made it a priority to pair him with a ball winning partner.  I mean, it's so obvious it hurts writing this! 🙂

See, I'm not so sure. Pre-injury Normann stood out in a bad side, Pukki still got his goals in a bad side. Hanley was considered by many to be a stand-out 'defenders defender'. Gilmour for me doesn't have any obvious weapons to really make it worth building around him, particularly if it takes international elite midfielders around him to look decent. 

What assets do you see in his arsenal that would have made us decisively better performing if we'd done so? (Sounds stroppy but it's not, I'm just curious on the perspective)

It feels sort of similar to the Rashica paradox to me, where everyone seems to be sure he's very good but it's not particularly obvious why or how.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

👍👌👏👏👏👏👏.yes GB the truth always tends to hurt, unfortunately. 

56 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It's not obvious at all.  Easy to say "play him with the right system and the right players and he will do well", but more realistic analysis - based on observation - is that his shooting was poor, his passing not particularly good, his tackling was poor and for all his hype he didn't make a scrap of difference to the team. 

You can blame the other players, you can blame Webber, you can blame Chelsea, you can blame the fans for getting on his back, but the simple truth is he wasn't good enough. 

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

You have to be on a wind up. Or else didn't actually see him play at all last season.

He was horrendous. Offered absolutely nothing and his presence in the side significantly diminished our already slim odds of getting points. Genuinely one of the worst players I've seen us field at EPL level in my lifetime.

I'd love it if someone could point to something, anything, from any highlights reel, to suggest there is a player there. I would probably have 1 good game in 50 where it went right for me, as Gilmour has with THAT England game. Doesn't mean I'm not ****.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You have to be on a wind up. Or else didn't actually see him play at all last season.

He was horrendous. Offered absolutely nothing and his presence in the side significantly diminished our already slim odds of getting points. Genuinely one of the worst players I've seen us field at EPL level in my lifetime.

I'd love it if someone could point to something, anything, from any highlights reel, to suggest there is a player there. I would probably have 1 good game in 50 where it went right for me, as Gilmour has with THAT England game. Doesn't mean I'm not ****.

There was a great clip of him running back during a breakaway to make a goal line clearance... For Scotland. When I saw it I remember thinking that we'd never seen anything like that level of desire and commitment from him at Norwich.

He was awful for us and, no, it wasn't all our fault. 

I don't think he doesn't have ability- just not enough of it to make up for his very obvious limitations.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

It's not obvious at all.  Easy to say "play him with the right system and the right players and he will do well", but more realistic analysis - based on observation - is that his shooting was poor, his passing not particularly good, his tackling was poor and for all his hype he didn't make a scrap of difference to the team. 

You can blame the other players, you can blame Webber, you can blame Chelsea, you can blame the fans for getting on his back, but the simple truth is he wasn't good enough. 

You missed Farke in that post. Baller comes to mind. Straight from DFs mouth. 

5 minutes ago, Mengo said:

You missed Farke in that post. Baller comes to mind. Straight from DFs mouth. 

I think that was before he'd seen him in a Norwich shirt. He dropped him pretty quickly after he had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

See, I'm not so sure. Pre-injury Normann stood out in a bad side, Pukki still got his goals in a bad side. Hanley was considered by many to be a stand-out 'defenders defender'. Gilmour for me doesn't have any obvious weapons to really make it worth building around him, particularly if it takes international elite midfielders around him to look decent. 

It doesn't take elite players - Just the right ones.

He's someone who glues others with interplay, an example of his movement and ability to work off the ball to quickly move defence to attack:

He isn't someone you throw in midfield and leave overloaded.  Normann can stand out at times in that role because of his physicality, Pukki is vastly experienced in movement but still needs others to stand out, and Hanley... again, physical presence..  And all 3 players in their prime.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I don't think he doesn't have ability- just not enough of it to make up for his very obvious limitations.

Limitations at 20? No **** man.  You said there's "Nothing" about him to build around, when he's a player that very much demanded us to build around to get the best from him.  You either bring him in and support him, or don't take him on at all.

What you don't do is stick him in the middle of a 3 man midfield to the point where fans start to crucify him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Just a different opinion, that's all.  Rather than asking if you're on a wind-up yourself I'll choose to respect yours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mengo said:

Your in a good place Billy. Potter is a top coach. 

So if it doesn’t work out for him this time whose fault will it be?

4 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

So if it doesn’t work out for him this time whose fault will it be?

I personally don't think that will happen. 

We showed great naivety in bringing him here with the lack of a defensive midfielder which the majority of fans were screaming out for. Farke and Webber together just completely  showed there true colours on football knowledge in the premier league. Then a  young guy took the flak . Pathetic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mengo said:

I personally don't think that will happen. 

We showed great naivety in bringing him here with the lack of a defensive midfielder which the majority of fans were screaming out for. Farke and Webber together just completely  showed there true colours on football knowledge in the premier league. Then a  young guy took the flak . Pathetic.

I'm trying to reply to you that you are pathetic but I can not . you are right.  They just signed a player that was sold to them as a great player

Edited by mastoola

8 minutes ago, mastoola said:

I'm trying to reply to you that you are pathetic but I can not . you are right.  They just signed a player that was sold to them as a great player

I'll  take that as a compliment mastoola.

😉 

You just keep backing jen jen.👏

Edited by Mengo
  • Like 1

Limitations at 20? No **** man.  You said there's "Nothing" about him to build around, when he's a player that very much demanded us to build around to get the best from him.  You either bring him in and support him, or don't take him on at all.

What you don't do is stick him in the middle of a 3 man midfield to the point where fans start to crucify him.

I think we basically agree to be honest. We should never have bought him in as he didn't suit a team in our position, nor our other midfielders. 

The idea of building round him might have held more appeal if he was our player. But a 20 year old with no physicality, almost entirely untested at the top level isn't going to be built around unless he's special, which I just don't think Gilmour is. 

I'm of the opinion he'd have been much better off spending last season on loan at Fulham or Bournemouth, teams playing on the front foot in the Championship while he learns to deal with the physicality of playing week in week out at first team level.

• Like 1