Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Forest really splashing the cash

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I actually do think that Leeds will go down, they've lost their two best players and Bamford can't stay fit, they are going to be in trouble.

Everton I'm less sure about, and they've just lost their best attacking player too.

Leeds' summer spending spree isn't terribly dissimilar to ours last summer, but on a slightly larger scale. Lots of high potential youngsters, but not a lot of experience, Premier League or otherwise, in there. I'm not convinced by Marsch either.

Everton will probably start badly, sack Lampard and recover.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Heard a lot who have and they’re talking about Buendia who has once again proved that he’s nothing special at prem level 

No that would be the somewhat different (and true) claim that teams don't sell their best player immediately after promotion to the top flight.

38 minutes ago, chicken said:

It isn't really that different is it?

And also, I wouldn't say it's a total strawman when people are suggesting other teams are doing better than we did. That's essentially how this thread started, the suggestion that Forest are chucking money about more than we could or did. Especially when there are particularly critical posters who take to these sorts of threads for that reason.

Well...they are chucking money about more than we could or did.

Whether it means they do better than we did remains to be seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Well...they are chucking money about more than we could or did.

Whether it means they do better than we did remains to be seen.

Precisely, but to some, they already are or certainly are doing better.

Even if they do, it's not really suggestive of us making mistakes. Those players weren't available a year ago, or hadn't progressed etc so we'll never know. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Even if they do, it's not really suggestive of us making mistakes. Those players weren't available a year ago, or hadn't progressed etc so we'll never know. 

Do you think they’ll stop up though? I do. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

No that would be the somewhat different (and true) claim that teams don't sell their best player immediately after promotion to the top flight.

And yet he proved yet again much like  the rest of our squad that he wasn’t ready/good enough for the premier league 

i can’t wait for 5-10 games into the season when Rashica is running the show and everyone comes running back to Webber saying he was right all along 

7 hours ago, chicken said:

No but to reiterate what I said earlier in the thread.

On 12/07/2022 at 15:06, king canary said:

No, spending this money doesn't mean Forest will stay up, there is a very good chance they go back down. There is also a question of does this spending mean they'll be in trouble next season if they do go down. All valid points but also largely irrelevant to our attempts to stay up.

The fact is that Forest, despite having not sniffed Premier League money in the past 20 plus years, have already spent as much or more (depending on which figures you use) than we did in our most ambitious window ever, have a net spend of double ours from that same window and have signed two players for more than our record transfer fee. 

It spells out how much of a competitive disadvantage we we'll always be under in the Premier League.

Forest.

They've got one season surviving in the Prem in them, having pundits masturbate about what a "big team" they are with a "glorious history" and there will also be various Clough comparisons and stories surrounding all the media and VT on them. 

Then they'll get relegated in their second season.

The new Brentford (who I'm tipping for the drop this season)

Many thanks 

BobLoz

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Haha 1

More details about the Lingard deal below (behind paywall).

• West Ham were prepared to make him their best paid player - more than £120,000 week they give to Kurt Zouma
  • His wage at Forest will be a lot lower than the one offered by West Ham - £80,000 a week basic but could rise to £115,000 including bonuses. Suggests that Forest have tried to keep some sort of wage structure
  • The article refers to a "lucrative signing on fee:" it doesn't specify how much. Given that the wage is significantly lower it must be a few million + because it's a one year contract, no doubt he hopes for another signing on fee next year as well.

The level of detail suggests that it comes from his agent (his brother, I believe) - who else would have this level of detail? The agent will also have a lucartamide signing on fee.

It is an amazing deal for Forest, I can't think of anything similar in modern times? Financially it is not that bad for Forest: if they stay up it is money well spent and if they go down, there is no ongoing wage commitment which would be ruinous.

The clever thing is giving the majority of the money in a signing on fee meaning that they can maintain their wage structure. It is certainly the sort of thing that we could consider following any future promotion and far safer than paying for a premier league journeyman on a two or three year contract. I'm not sure how many players would consider such a deal or whether Lingard might start a new trend of being a short-term mercenary like some cricketers in the 20-20 franchises around the world.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-nottingham-forest-hijacked-deal-for-jesse-lingard-in-just-four-days-nvvlk3brd

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good on them. Never really disliked Forest like many others.

think they'll be alright this year. 

Think(hope) the 3 going down this year will be 

Brentford 

Leeds

Bournemouth

11 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do you think they’ll stop up though? I do. 

Step up? Possibly. Easy answer is some will, some might not. All depends, and will it be enough. Reality is, some of those players would not have remotely been on anyone's radar last summer. So we'll have to see.

Good luck to them though. I don't wish ill on any club apart form Millwall, Ipsh!t and Bournemouth. They're able to go about things a bit differently and clearly aren't too bothered about disrupting the changing room with a highly waged player that in many ways, hasn't done a lot to justify the wages.

That said, Man Utd appear to have a very odd thing going on if Williams is on the rumoured amount... 

9 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Good on them. Never really disliked Forest like many others.

think they'll be alright this year. 

Think(hope) the 3 going down this year will be 

Brentford 

Leeds

Bournemouth

To give them credit if you ignore the years in the championship in terms of support and trophies they are one of the biggest clubs in england so hey, I too hope they do well. Not really got anything against them. Unlike Bournmouth for exampe..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

if you ignore the years in the championship in terms of support and trophies they are one of the biggest clubs in england

That's like saying if you ignore all our seasons in the championship we're a premier league team 

• Haha 1

And so the conversion of professional football to Fifa Ultimate Team goes up another gear

That isn't even taking into account that he may wear JLingz on the back of his shirt. Absolute state of football these days.

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To give them credit if you ignore the years in the championship in terms of support and trophies they are one of the biggest clubs in england so hey, I too hope they do well. Not really got anything against them. Unlike Bournmouth for exampe..

If you ignore all the years Ipswich didn’t win a derby, they have an impeccable derby record.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

• West Ham were prepared to make him their best paid player - more than £120,000 week they give to Kurt Zouma
  • His wage at Forest will be a lot lower than the one offered by West Ham - £80,000 a week basic but could rise to £115,000 including bonuses. Suggests that Forest have tried to keep some sort of wage structure
  • The article refers to a "lucrative signing on fee:" it doesn't specify how much. Given that the wage is significantly lower it must be a few million + because it's a one year contract, no doubt he hopes for another signing on fee next year as well.

The level of detail suggests that it comes from his agent (his brother, I believe) - who else would have this level of detail? The agent will also have a lucartamide signing on fee.

It is an amazing deal for Forest, I can't think of anything similar in modern times? Financially it is not that bad for Forest: if they stay up it is money well spent and if they go down, there is no ongoing wage commitment which would be ruinous.

The clever thing is giving the majority of the money in a signing on fee meaning that they can maintain their wage structure. It is certainly the sort of thing that we could consider following any future promotion and far safer than paying for a premier league journeyman on a two or three year contract. I'm not sure how many players would consider such a deal or whether Lingard might start a new trend of being a short-term mercenary like some cricketers in the 20-20 franchises around the world.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-nottingham-forest-hijacked-deal-for-jesse-lingard-in-just-four-days-nvvlk3brd

I don't think it's that amazing. Lingard isn't a bad player, but I'm not sure he's ever quite hit the heights either. He's a solid mid table, pushing European place sort of player. The kind of player that used to end up at Everton when they were regularly in that sort of position. A sort of never quite made it at the very top but might do better in a sum of parts team. Like Theo Walcott.

If, and that is an 'if', he helps to keep them up, it looks great - yes. I think someone worked out it was £6m in wages plus what we now see as a signing on fee. As I said before, what if he is the difference, what if, for whatever reason, he is the positive forward attacking player they needed to help keep them up? Then he walks away on a free for a bigger contract somewhere else?

They are back to square one. Yes, they'll have more money to spend again to go and try and replace him... I suppose they could possibly find the money for a better contract to try and keep him. It becomes a risk again. A couple of seasons ago he was probably a £20m player at least. Next summer they'd need to be paying those kind of wages AND a transfer fee. Like I said, clever for short-termism, and perhaps it does give them a season to find an able replacement, I just can't help but feel it might end up biting them on the ****. Let's hope for them that they have better luck with injuries too... 

21 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Forest never lost the 'big club' ambition despite losing their way.... we've never lost the 'little club' aura and ambition is something we can only ever dream about.

HahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaHahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaHahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaHahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaHahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaHahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaHahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaHahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

How is this binner troll not banned yet?

On 23/07/2022 at 11:16, Badger said:

I wonder if we'll see more deals like this going forward.

These are quite common in the NFL- if an older player isn't getting the offers he wants as a free agent they will sometimes take what is known as a 'prove it' deal for one season. Essentially instead of taking a longer term deal at a level below what they see as their market value they take a good salary for one season and bet on themselves that they'll play well enough so that in 12 months another team will give them the kind of deal they already wanted.

It is a high risk strategy for the players- if they under perform or they get injured then suddenly they could be out of the League next season or fielding even lower offers than they were getting. The risk is lesser for clubs due to the nature of how players move but if a player does massively improve then he's often too expensive to keep.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Another one

If they crash, they are going to burn long enough for years of bonfire nights! 

25 minutes ago, astro said:

If they crash, they are going to burn long enough for years of bonfire nights! 

You get the feelig that if/when they go down they will be in a lot of financial trouble that's for sure

• Like 1

Just wondering where this obsession with Nottm Forest comes from; are they the new Brentford?

Genuine question though as I haven't been following EPL transfers, but have they actually spent more money than Newcastle?

On 05/08/2022 at 18:30, Capt. Pants said:

Just wondering where this obsession with Nottm Forest comes from; are they the new Brentford?

Genuine question though as I haven't been following EPL transfers, but have they actually spent more money than Newcastle?

I think it is a small bit of jealousy.
A small bit of disbelief that a team that has rotted in the Championship and lower for decades are now out bidding West Ham.
Small bit of interest of how do you get a coherent team out of so many new signings (I'm in that camp)?
Small bit of vindication of people pointing out we didn't actually spend that much last season (making Webbers, tank, grenade comments seem a bit silly).  
Small bit of hope, that throwing huge amounts of money in one window doesn't work, because that would confirm we are destined for more yoyo (as we can't).

14 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Very surprised they've spent what the have if they go down they'll be in the ****e.😃

Thing is so many new players in such little time many of who are having to adapt to a new country and new league.. I don't see it ending well. Or they could finish 10th. Who knows