Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Forest really splashing the cash

Didn't want them to go up because I thought they'd do quite well and become another team that steams ahead of us in the pecking order, would have much preferred Huddersfield to win the play off final because they would almost certainly come straight back down. Cooper is a good manager who will set them up in a way that means they won't concede too many goals, I think that's more of a factor than how much money they're spending, that plus the novelty factor of being promoted for the first time in ages, teams who are new to the PL tend to do alright in their first season as there's no baggage and the team and fans are 100% up for every game. 

Now that Burnley have gone down the PL is nothing but clubs with unlimited cash to spend, with us taking a backward step on the quality of our squad last year the goal of getting up and staying up is becoming more and more unattainable as that league just gets stronger every year. I think Bournemouth and Fulham have managed to incrementally improve their teams year on year, we were doing that up until last season but last seasons summer window has set us back massively now. 

On 22/07/2022 at 22:42, king canary said:

No that would be the somewhat different (and true) claim that teams don't sell their best player immediately after promotion to the top flight.

Somewhat false claim as we didn't sell him when first promoted to the premier league. But lets not go down that daft route of discussion again. It's a somewhat urban myth that requires the complete ignoring of two promotions not one and that the usual is for clubs to sell on relegation, which if we had done, we wouldn't have bounced back up. 🙂

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

It's a somewhat urban myth

I mean, it's not, but you're right its not a discussion worth dusting off again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I mean, it's not, but you're right its not a discussion worth dusting off again.

It really is. It requires complete ignorance of the prior two to three seasons to be remotely accurate. Oh, and heavy dose of scrawling on a bedsheet to be added to the mix. 

("No one" - Fabio Carvalho, just one example). 

Edited by chicken

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thing is so many new players in such little time many of who are having to adapt to a new country and new league.. I don't see it ending well. Or they could finish 10th. Who knows

I think they'll stay up though , cooper seems to get the best from his players.😄

33 minutes ago, chicken said:

It really is. It requires complete ignorance of the prior two to three seasons to be remotely accurate. Oh, and heavy dose of scrawling on a bedsheet to be added to the mix. 

("No one" - Fabio Carvalho, just one example). 

A terrible example as he was out of contract meaning Fulham got no say in his sale.

Any time someone tries to argue against the fact that no team other than us has chosen to sell their best player after promotion to the top flight, they can never produce an actual equivalent example. 

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

A terrible example as he was out of contract meaning Fulham got no say in his sale.

Any time someone tries to argue against the fact that no team other than us has chosen to sell their best player after promotion to the top flight, they can never produce an actual equivalent example. 

Don’t do it King, it’s not worth it 😂 

• Haha 3

Fair play to Forest I hope they do well. Its going to be hard for them mind to factor in all 13 new signings though.

3 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

I think it is a small bit of jealousy.
A small bit of disbelief that a team that has rotted in the Championship and lower for decades are now out bidding West Ham.
Small bit of interest of how do you get a coherent team out of so many new signings (I'm in that camp)?
Small bit of vindication of people pointing out we didn't actually spend that much last season (making Webbers, tank, grenade comments seem a bit silly).  
Small bit of hope, that throwing huge amounts of money in one window doesn't work, because that would confirm we are destined for more yoyo (as we can't).

Think this is a good summary.

Based on their spend and the current links it looks like they'll easily spend double what we did in a transfer window that was really seen as us pushing the boat out and that is without a major sale funding part of it. If it works it'll add to the sense that our model just can't compete. If it doesn't it'll be very interesting to see the consequences- it seemingly did very little damage to Fulham for example but are Forest as robust?

Forest illustrates what we all know - without new investment we will continue to decline. Good luck to them - they seem to value the opportunity to compete in the premier league as compared to our recent embarrassments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Think this is a good summary.

Based on their spend and the current links it looks like they'll easily spend double what we did in a transfer window that was really seen as us pushing the boat out and that is without a major sale funding part of it. If it works it'll add to the sense that our model just can't compete. If it doesn't it'll be very interesting to see the consequences- it seemingly did very little damage to Fulham for example but are Forest as robust?

Interesting to see what one season surviving in the Premiership does to clubs resources. Brentford have made some big signings, of a calibre way above last season. If you can stay up, then you give yourself a much better chance the following season (from a player POV)

2 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

Forest illustrates what we all know - without new investment we will continue to decline. Good luck to them - they seem to value the opportunity to compete in the premier league as compared to our recent embarrassments.

Forest have demonstrated that some clubs can spend a lot of money upon promotion and that's about it.

Whether that protects them from relegation is yet to be seen. Whether it can protect them for two years running will be even more interesting.

Edited by 1902

2 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

The idea that we have "continue[d] to decline" is utter nonsense. Take a look at the state of the club when Alex Neil took us down from the PL; the idea that we are not in a far better state now is simply unsustainable.  It might be true that it is hard to see how any club can compete in the PL without spending huge amounts of cash; but until we find ourselves a billionaire owner happy to splash £100-200m+ we have no rational choice but to follow our current self-funding model. The cheap shot that NCFC doesn't "value the opportunity to compete" is a shameful and unjustifiable slur. Unless you are insane you would not mortgage the entire value of your house on a venture that stands a very high risk of failure; why on earth would you expect the board to take such a risk with the future of NCFC?

• Like 1

Rumour has it they might be after Harry winks after he has been told he can leave spurs so not messing around !

Good luck to them 

they are getting some PL quality in for sure 

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Two more to the pile..

That's good news for us if Watford lose Dennis.

But crikey they aren't half splashing the cash.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

That's good news for us if Watford lose Dennis.

But crikey they aren't half splashing the cash.

As I have said before it's going to end up with them spending over 200 million if half the rumored players are true. And we mocked Fulham for spending over 100 million.. Get the feeling that if they go straight down they will be in big financial trouble

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

As I have said before it's going to end up with them spending over 200 million if half the rumored players are true. And we mocked Fulham for spending over 100 million.. Get the feeling that if they go straight down they will be in big financial trouble

Quite likely. It's not just the transfer fees either, it's contractual wages as well.

On 11/08/2022 at 14:17, Highland Canary said:

Yep - Delia Out. 

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Quite likely. It's not just the transfer fees either, it's contractual wages as well.

t  think they are buying well and i think they will stay up 

someone like Dennis already played in PL so will slot straight in 

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Confirmed Dennis to Forest. £20m. Bad for Watford but Forest do seem to be building one hell of a team.

As my Watford friend I'm with says Dennis is a very talented player but he can have an argument with himself. He is not good for team moral but I guess Sarr will be looking at this and thinking it's my turn to move. 

On 11/08/2022 at 15:17, Highland Canary said:

What a depressing way to look at the game…. Feeds completely into the narrative football isn’t a sport anymore!  At this level anyway!  

Personally, I’d take our route everytime, about developing a model, developing people, giving opportunities and deserving any success.    That’s sport in a purer sense.   Forests route sickens me as a football fan…. All them lads that got them up will never get the opportunity they deserve!   OK to have a go but they’ve gone too far and I’m indifferent to how they perform.  

• Like 1

Can't believe they've bought 16 players! Didn't fulham try and full squad makeover for the Premiership and it didn't work

I feel sorry for the players who got them promoted and may not now get a look in. They're certainly showing they want to stay in EPL!