Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Forest really splashing the cash

2 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

They have supposedly offered Lingard 200k a week! Whereas we only offer players Tesco vouchers in comparison 🤣🤣

I'd rather stay in the champs then pay players like Lingard 200k a week to stay up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I'd rather stay in the champs then pay players like Lingard 200k a week to stay up.

You have a good point there. Like us with Naismith multiplied by a zillion!

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

Which was £50k more than West Ham were offering.

A 3 year deal on £200k a week, that's nearly £30m and he's probably getting a few million signing on fee as well. 

All that for a player who is 29 so his re-sell value isn't exactly going to be sky high.

As a player thats a very good signing for them, but that money is insane.

.... and everybody else in the squad is now queuing up at the DoF's door asking for more!

One of the most crazy parts of it is anyone thinking Lingard is worth 200k a week, regardless of transfer fee.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

One of the most crazy parts of it is anyone thinking Lingard is worth 200k a week, regardless of transfer fee.

I could understand them going big on wages for a loan or a 1 year contract (although still not £200k!) but tying themselves in for 3 years is absolute madness. Even if they snuck in a 50% relegation wage drop he'd still be on crazy wages.

The actual deal is much less mental it seems...

Still lots of money but they aren't tied in if they go down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Yes, looks less insane and without doing the maths likely no worse a gamble than our Naismith one in reality. 

• Like 1

A one year deal on 121K a week is circa £6 million for the season, if they stay up and he's instrumental then it's a bargain to be honest, and even if they go down it won't leave them in the mire as he won't be there. 

As long as if doesn't upset the apple cart with their other players then I think it's a cracking bit of business. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Does it have an option of further years? Otherwise it's effectively a veeeery expensive loan. At the end of the season, they could stay up, he could have been instrumental and he could move on for free, to a bigger club.

Sure, that would mean another season of Prem football for them. I think there are two clear motivations here, that he would like to get back in the England team and he has the first half of the season to do it owing to the placement of the world cup. Then there is the wages.

In essence it looks ok... not as big a risk as signing him on a multi-year deal.

He was dynamite at West Ham on loan. He is the missing piece that confirms they have more than enough to survive now. If they do then it’s money we’ll spent.

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yes, looks less insane and without doing the maths likely no worse a gamble than our Naismith one in reality. 

It’s probably safer than anything we spent last year let alone the Naismith deal. Look how we are lumbered with Sargent and Tzolis, no one will pay us anywhere near what we paid for them. If he keeps them up that’s an extra £150 million for them for the season after. We had Naismith tied to a long contract on relatively high wages regardless of the league we were in. At least if they go down they won’t be paying him the season after 

Webber would never go for a deal like this. He'd much rather buy an unproven youngster who may or may not improve and give us a small profit (although in all likelihood will be a dud, who will have to be loaned out and try not to make a loss on) than spend less money on a proven PL player to try and get another season of 100 or so million.

Edited by OnDaBall

12 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

Webber would never go for a deal like this. He'd much rather buy an unproven youngster who may or may not improve and give us a small profit (although in all likelihood will be a dud, who will have to be loaned out and try not to make a loss on) than spend less money on a proven PL player to try and get another season of 100 or so million.

What do you mean spend less? it's a one year contract not a five year contract, so no resale value and its a sizeable wage. He's a good player granted, but it would rip our squad apart knowing one player was on twice as much money as everyone else. Just because Tzolis wasn't an instant success at 19 doesn't mean he is rubbish or that his career here is done. 

Forest have probably put a clause in where Lingard is in charge of TikTok and stupid dance videos.

Cant wait to see their bank balance when they come crashing down, its going to be a total disaster!!!

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

£6 million including bonuses on a one-year deal seems like a remarkably good deal for Forest. If the source was a fan on social media I would not have believed it but a "respectable journalist" (oxymoron?) has put his name to it, so not as easily dismissed.

What I find even more amazing about this deal is that it is the best that a player of Lingard's profile could get when leaving on a free! The wage seems low for a player of his profile on a free + the fact that it is a one year deal leaves all sorts of risk on his part - injury, he "tanks" in a struggling team etc.

I would have thought that there would have been better options?

Edited by Badger
clarified sentence

You can knock Lingard all you want, but as youve seen with the likes of Eriksen at Brentford, sometimes one quality player is pretty much the difference in relegation and staying up. Lingard needed one last big pay offer and Forest were prepared to offer it to them. Theyve spent a bunch of money and I hope it works out for them. Why people are consuming themselves on this subject is baffling really.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

£6 million including bonuses on a one-year deal seems like a remarkably good deal for Forest. If the source was a fan on social media I would not have believed it but a "respectable journalist" (oxymoron?) has put his name to it, so not as easily dismissed.

What I find even more amazing about this deal is that it is the best that a player of Lingard's profile could get when leaving on a free! The wage seems low for a player of his profile on a free + the fact that it is a one year deal leaves all sorts of risk on his part - injury, he "tanks" in a struggling team etc.

It is incredibly unusual for a proven Premier League Player to agree to a 1 year deal at 29 years old. Unless his belief is he'll play well for Forest for a whole season, and get another huge signing bonus when a bigger club comes in for him next summer. Dangerous, but his agent might like the sound of two big fees in two seasons as well..

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

Maybe we will be doing this kind of business, upon promotion with the new investment. 

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It is incredibly unusual for a proven Premier League Player to agree to a 1 year deal at 29 years old. Unless his belief is he'll play well for Forest for a whole season, and get another huge signing bonus when a bigger club comes in for him next summer. Dangerous, but his agent might like the sound of two big fees in two seasons as well..

Yes - there is the issue of signing on fees for the player and the agent as well, which I hadn't taken into account. If they both a get a couple of million+ in signing on fees as well as the wages, it begins to make more sense. I look forwards to seeing Forest's accounts next year!

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Maybe we will be doing this kind of business, upon promotion with the new investment. 

I certainly hope not! 

I also very much doubt it - if we get investment, it is normal for US investors to be very sensible and restrained in how they invest (with notable exceptions like Ellis Short).

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

I certainly hope not! 

I also very much doubt it - if we get investment, it is normal for US investors to be very sensible and restrained in how they invest (with notable exceptions like Ellis Short).

It should be an enjoyable and exciting season for Forest fans. I can see them playing some expansive stuff next season and staying up comfortably. Complete opposite to our last attempt to be fair. 

17 hours ago, king canary said:

That deal is absolutely crazed. 

£10.4 million for a year. But if he keeps them up them he has paid his way, if not then, he'll be off to the next pay day and it'll be a waste , like us with most of our signings last year.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It should be an enjoyable and exciting season for Forest fans. I can see them playing some expansive stuff next season and staying up comfortably. Complete opposite to our last attempt to be fair. 

Possibly.

I think that Forest fans have paid a heavy price for previous financial incontinence so they deserve a break. A club of Forest's stature being out of the PL for so long is he consequence of financial incompetence, let's hope for their sake that they don't repeat it. 

The owner is reportedly worth about £500 million, so I can't imagine that he could afford to continue to inject money in the way that Fulham's owner has.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Possibly.

I think that Forest fans have paid a heavy price for previous financial incontinence so they deserve a break. A club of Forest's stature being out of the PL for so long is he consequence of financial incompetence, let's hope for their sake that they don't repeat it. 

The owner is reportedly worth about £500 million, so I can't imagine that he could afford to continue to inject money in the way that Fulham's owner has.

Indeed, their previous wheelings & dealings left them in the 💩

12 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Just so you know, I am saving this just in case it all goes t1ts up for them. 😂

One dodgy tackle and it’s a lot of money p1ssed away.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Possibly.

The odds on staying up are slightly favourable compared to us last summer. 4/6 to avoid the drop and 6/5 to go down. I’d back them with confidence if I supported them.