Sign in to follow this  
BobLoz3

Stiepi drops down to German fourth tier 🦀

Dropped down from second division to the fourth because he liked what he is seeing from the team he's signed for. 

Ultimate cult hero? Bored of football?

Who knows. All I know is that he's a top legend. 

• Like 2

Loved him that promotion season.

He scored a goal every five games at Paderborn, we’d take that from our midfielders next season wouldn’t we?

I wonder how much his Covid after-effects played a part in that, it definitely affected him when he was with us. He also talks about helping to develop young players, so he may be seeing it as a longer term career move. Good luck to him!

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Loved him that promotion season.

He scored a goal every five games at Paderborn, we’d take that from our midfielders next season wouldn’t we?

I wonder how much his Covid after-effects played a part in that, it definitely affected him when he was with us. He also talks about helping to develop young players, so he may be seeing it as a longer term career move. Good luck to him!

Totally agree! I thought he obtained cult status with us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So effective in that 1st Farke promotion season, teams didn't know how to handle him!  So wanted him to carry that into the prem and get some Cromer crabs on motd, but it just never quite clicked the same way again... a shame as it would have been on a par to watching Holt embarrass Premier league defenders 

• Like 4

Stiepi was a classic underdog. You couldn't really put him anywhere on initial showing but he was a very good team player willing to go where was needed, even though he was very much an emergency option at full-back. Despite being tall he wasn't great in the air. His first touch was touch-and-go (and not in a pass and move sense), his right foot was just about used for running only, and when he took the ball on the half-turn and went at defenders you always thought he was going to easily lose it, but - Paulo Wanchope style - he always managed to just about keep rumbling forward and keep attacks moving.

He could pick a pass though. And he liked to hit one from distance, and could do it with considerable effect. We've not had anyone as dangerous from just outside the box in a fair time. Rupp and McLean could have done with some extra time on shooting practice with him, that's for sure.

Shame about his long-term Covid battles. I'd have happily kept a fully fit and firing Stiepi in the Champs even now.

• Like 2

His performance at Anfield on the first game of Farke season was a what if moment he could have had a first half hat trick that day. I feel he lost belief he belonged at that level after that which is a shame great player 

• Like 2

Liked him from the very beginning when he played left back.  Always good for a goal or few in the championship once he played in his favoured position and a real character. Still enjoying his football by the sounds of things so good luck to him. A bit of a legend.

So is the German 4th tier above or below Sloughbottom Park? Asking for a friend who is on holiday and will be sad to have missed this thread.😇

• Haha 2

Considering we signed him as an AM and he played pretty much the whole of his first season at left-back, it just goes to show what a team player he was/is. What he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in attitude and application, and he developed quite the understanding with Pukki in our first Championship title season.

I always remember this goal against Bolton (the second one, starting at 1:26) as a classic example of Farkeball, and Stiepi was undoubtedly a big part in that. I'm sure his presence and persona will be of great benefit to the younger players at Wuppertal... will be looking out for their results next season!

EDIT: the first goal is a great example too, although this time it's Stiepi playing a pinpoint through ball over 50 yards at the end of a move that started on the edge of our own box!

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

The thing is his time with us I would have thought was the main achievement of his career. We've had so many players, past and present, where that hasn't been the case. 

Good luck to him at his new club.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Considering we signed him as an AM and he played pretty much the whole of his first season at left-back, it just goes to show what a team player he was/is. What he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in attitude and application, and he developed quite the understanding with Pukki in our first Championship title season.

I always remember this goal against Bolton (the second one, starting at 1:26) as a classic example of Farkeball, and Stiepi was undoubtedly a big part in that. I'm sure his presence and persona will be of great benefit to the younger players at Wuppertal... will be looking out for their results next season!

EDIT: the first goal is a great example too, although this time it's Stiepi playing a pinpoint through ball over 50 yards at the end of a move that started on the edge of our own box!

Sad about the fact there's no vid here 😭

2 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

His performance at Anfield on the first game of Farke season was a what if moment he could have had a first half hat trick that day. I feel he lost belief he belonged at that level after that which is a shame great player 

Was just about to post the same thing, that game felt like a massive turning point for him, and not in a good way. Also felt like we lost faith in his ability as we tried playing other players and systems after that as well. Also seems to have struggled after his health issues. But forever a legend for those amazing celebrations. How I miss those good times, let's hope Smith can build a similar dynasty to Farke

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

Was just about to post the same thing, that game felt like a massive turning point for him, and not in a good way. Also felt like we lost faith in his ability as we tried playing other players and systems after that as well. Also seems to have struggled after his health issues. But forever a legend for those amazing celebrations. How I miss those good times, let's hope Smith can build a similar dynasty to Farke

Season 18/19 was the stuff dreams are made of. 

Personally don’t think Smith will create that feeling. It was everything aligning together; Farke’s football, the eccentricity of some of those players, fans’ vibes… 

Similar to that Lambert season we went up. 

I wish we had a few characters in this squad to liven it up but I feel we’re devoid of any that seem to have any personality bar the usual footballing snippet. 

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Sad about the fact there's no vid here 😭

Damn it! Forgot to actually post the link. Here you go mate, enjoy... Farkeball at its finest 🙂

• Like 1

Might have to chalk this one off when next over in Germany. Can't be many stadiums where you can catch the Schwebebahn to the ground.

43 minutes ago, Pete Raven said:

Might have to chalk this one off when next over in Germany. Can't be many stadiums where you can catch the Schwebebahn to the ground.

Pinkun road trip, what could possibly go wrong? 😉

12 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I know this was rhetorical, but what a thread that would be.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’ll pack the quiche (or flan) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never forget his first goal for us, what a beauty and it came from him when he was playing leftback too

God I wish I hadn’t watched beyond his goal. Defensively very familiar and unconvincing followed by a one sided battering