Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Billy Gilmour love-in

All I took from that is apparently Rangers, Fulham and Bournemouth are apparently after wee Billy for the coming season..... What the hell did they see!!!! 

Be very interesting to see if he does go to one of the promoted teams, will he be as shìte for them? 

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

All I took from that is apparently Rangers, Fulham and Bournemouth are apparently after wee Billy for the coming season..... What the hell did they see!!!! 

Be very interesting to see if he does go to one of the promoted teams, will he be as shìte for them? 

Well apparently everyone apart from us Norwich fans (who actually watched the games) saw an amazing player who was MOTM every game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Probably link up with Lampard at Everton 

3 minutes ago, Dean80 said:

Probably link up with Lampard at Everton 

That would suit him considering lampard is also one of the most overated players I've ever seen!

• Like 2

Charlie Nicholas piece on Gilmour this week was a much better, and more realistic read. 

According to that lot Dean Smith should have built the team around Gilmour.  Personally I'd have built a wall around him at Colney and thrown some food in every couple of days and left him there.

• Haha 1

Rice to Chelsea, Billy to Everton would be my expectation.  That's if West Ham will budge of course.

51 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"He's superb to watch, always looking for the ball, never scared to play tight passes"

He is?

To be fair, I have seen plenty of such players grace the fields of amateur Sunday, Saturday and university football.

The problem is anyone can always want the ball, never be scared to play tight passes, but those, I am incredibly reluctant to call them qualities, are not always accompanied with the ability and tallent to make a great footballer.

I must admit I didn’t see much in his game to warrant any serious talent! Not much pace, not much guile, not much tackling and certainly no threat going forwards, I don’t get what his game is!

Next season will be the make or break, if he goes to Fulham and has the same nightmare he had here he won’t get the same adulation he got here from the pundits! It wasn’t Gilmour it was the ****e around him according to most pundits this season.

I agree that he always wanted the ball. Trouble was, no one wanted to pass to him as they knew he would just pop it straight back to them, leaving them under pressure from the press. How he got so much game time last season I’ll never know. 

Edited by astro

He was 19 when he played for us. I think you all need to calm down a bit.

The fact is he didnt work in our system as we had him play as a DM which he is not. Simples.

He has been slated in an article by Charlie Nicholas as being very poor and only knowing how to pass sideways! Nicholas said Scotland need to stop overhyping him and relying on him and warned he could be the new Barry Bannan! 

Finally someone other than our fans have seen what he’s really like! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

The fact is he didnt work in our system as we had him play as a DM which he is not. Simples.

Age means nothing if your good enough. 

6 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

Jude Bellingham is only 18 and representing England, the hype given by the media you’d have thought Gilmour was at that level! Reality is he’s 19 but certainly a very ordinary player at present. Maddison & Buendia are far more talented players.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 3

He's certainly no Pirlo. As a "playmaker" he's not fit to lace David Fox's boots, let alone the level he's supposedly at. A loan to the continent and a little more time on the ball may actually help him. 

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

Jude Bellingham is only 18 and representing England, the hype given by the media you’d have thought Gilmour was at that level! Reality is he’s 19 but certainly a very ordinary player at present. Maddison & Buendia are far more talented players.

Yes and no. Players develop at different rates and some plateau or decline in their mid 20s when other hit their stride in what many would assume would be their first twilight years. I think we can say the average peak for an outfield player is 27-30 but it really is just that, an average.

Gilmour has some talent, but it's insanely raw. That doesn't mean he isn't going anywhere, but he could drop out of contention as a premier league player just as easily as making it.

Edited by 1902

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Yes and no. Players develop at different rates and some plateau or decline in their mid 20s when other hit their stride in what many would assume would be their first twilight years. I think we can say the average peak for an outfield player is 27-30 but it really is just that, an average.

Gilmour has some talent, but it's insanely raw. That doesn't mean he isn't going anywhere, but he could drop out of contention as a premier league player just as easily as making it.

That’s the thing, I agree with your assessment, but listening to pundits last year you’d thought he was going to become vital player for us. Certainly was just a very ordinary player one I wouldn’t want to see back here this coming season! Not something we could say about Skipp!

• Like 2

Just now, Indy said:

That’s the thing, I agree with your assessment, but listening to pundits last year you’d thought he was going to become vital player for us. Certainly was just a very ordinary player one I wouldn’t want to see back here this coming season! Not something we could say about Skipp!

Yeah, totally agree with that.

Gilmour has some great attributes, I'd like to see him go to Everton as I think Lampard will help him make that next step up.

I said it before but for us he was like a Scottish Mo Leitner,  neat,tidy, always wanting the ball,great range of passing but very little end product. 

Let's remember he's still very young and it's likely to be another 2 or 3 years before we see what sort of player he will be

• Like 2