Sign in to follow this  
Maltesecanary

18% Stake

18 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

How much is 18% of the clubā€™s shareholding worth?Ā 

Based on similar sales of clubs in comparable size and league between 250-300 million is what the club as a whole would be worth at a rough guess

It's how I test the water at the local swimming pool.Ā  Get 18% of me in, paddle my legs for a bit and then when all feels good, I just slip right off the edge and sink to the bottom.

(I can't swim).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Based on similar sales of clubs in comparable size and league between 250-300 million is what the club as a whole would be worth at a rough guess

People I've seen discussing the 'value' of the club seem to think that it's closer to the 100 mil mark.Ā  Don't know how true that is, or the value when Delia/MWJ came in - but it's safe to say that money has been made on that initial investment.Ā 

I can't believe the club would be anywhere near 250-300 mil 'sale' valueĀ as there's no debts to clear as part of the process that would need to be recouped.

Edited by Google Bot

Maybe I'm missing something but surely not much is going to change with some conglomerate purchasing an 18% share?

How much of the share sale goes into the club? (if any)

Is someone with a minor stake going to be willing to inject further funds into the club?

47 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Maybe I'm missing something but surely not much is going to change with some conglomerate purchasing an 18% share?

Is someone with a minor stake going to be willing to inject further funds into the club?

It makes no difference whatsoever to the club finances. Potentially he could make a director's loan in the future or buy equity via a share issue.

58 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

People I've seen discussing the 'value' of the club seem to think that it's closer to the 100 mil mark.Ā  Don't know how true that is, or the value when Delia/MWJ came in - but it's safe to say that money has been made on that initial investment.Ā 

I can't believe the club would be anywhere near 250-300 mil 'sale' valueĀ as there's no debts to clear as part of the process that would need to be recouped.

You are probably right Newcastle sold for Ā£305 million and we are not as marketable as they are. Sheffield United sold for Ā£105 million 18 months or so ago, so youā€™d think weā€™d be around that mark plus inflationĀ 

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

Yes, as they could be new shares rather than the buying of existing - which would see a cash injection into the club.

The negative is that it could also mean a devaluation for current shares when the total number rises, but that really only affects individuals on a financial level when it comes to selling.Ā  I think most are in for the long haul regardless.

12 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Yes, as they could be new shares rather than the buying of existing - which would see a cash injection into the club.

The negative is that it could also mean a devaluation for current shares when the total number rises, but that really only affects individuals on a financial level when it comes to selling.Ā  I think most are in for the long haul regardless.

From what I've seen he's planning on buying outĀ Michael Foulger.

12 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Whatā€™s he going to do with only 18% ?

It's exactly 20% of SWs 90% , so that may give an indication šŸ˜‡

57 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

From what I've seen he's planning on buying outĀ Michael Foulger.

Can't believeĀ Foulger would be willing to sell and walk away from what I've seen of the guy.Ā 

It'll either be a majority takeover, or new shares.

My money is on a majority takeover and Delia being left with the 18% - whatever has been leaked out could easily be mis-interpreted in such a way.Ā  Ā It really depends where this 18% has been plucked from, it's just paper talk.

Just now, benchwarmer said:

The club is worth what someone is willing to pay.

You mean, It's worth what you can get.

On 31/05/2022 at 20:49, Chelm Canary said:

The rumour is that the 18% could be a combination of new shares along with existing ones. So some money would be generated for the club.

18% sounds random / weird. However, look at Kroenke at Arsenal. I think he started off with something like 12%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chicken said:

The rumour is that the 18% could be a combination of new shares along with existing ones. So some money would be generated for the club.

18% sounds random / weird. However, look at Kroenke at Arsenal. I think he started off with something like 12%.

Thatā€™s exactly it. American investors tend to get a foot in the door, before going ā€˜all inā€™. I assume that theyā€™ll start with 18% and then gradually try to acquire the rest. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll have big plans and will likely want to increase the capacity substantially, earlier rather than later, to increase the revenue coming in and return on their investment.

I am wary of this 18 per cent figure. It came from The Athletic, but not from Michael Bailey, saying Attanasio wanted to buy Foulgerā€™s 18 per cent stake. Foulgerā€™s stake is listed at 15.9 per cent rather than 18 and supposedlyĀ FoulgerĀ Ā has told friends he is not selling anyway. AndĀ a more obviousĀ purchase would be of new shares.

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am wary of this 18 per cent figure. It came from The Athletic, but not from Michael Bailey, saying Attanasio wanted to buy Foulgerā€™s 18 per cent stake. Foulgerā€™s stake is listed at 15.9 per cent rather than 18 and supposedlyĀ FoulgerĀ Ā has told friends he is not selling anyway. AndĀ a more obviousĀ purchase would be of new shares.

Iā€™ve been wondering about that. From my rudimentary and very rough maths, even if the new chap bought all 1,000,000 ā€œnewā€ shares, I think that would still leave DS/MWJ with something like 20%? So itā€™s probably not where the figure comes from either. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø Would they then have to make offers for the rest if that was the case? That would be a 62%ish holding. I suppose with DS/MWJ still holding 20% that DOES leave a remaining 18%ā€¦ How very contrivedā€¦

Yeah, no idea. šŸ˜‚

What would they need to buy in new equity to hold 18%? Something like 135,000?Ā 

Edited by Duncan Edwards

On 01/06/2022 at 11:54, Google Bot said:

Can't believeĀ Foulger would be willing to sell and walk away from what I've seen of the guy.Ā 

Depends on whether the rumours of Banham Poultry being in massive trouble are true or not, he may well be in need of getting his hands on some cash and quick.Ā 

9 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Depends on whether the rumours of Banham Poultry being in massive trouble are true or not, he may well be in need of getting his hands on some cash and quick.Ā 

"...he may well be in need of getting his hands on some cash and quack."

10 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Banham Poultry are in administration so it appears that part is true.

11 hours ago, Robornio said:

Thatā€™s exactly it. American investors tend to get a foot in the door, before going ā€˜all inā€™. I assume that theyā€™ll start with 18% and then gradually try to acquire the rest. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll have big plans and will likely want to increase the capacity substantially, earlier rather than later, to increase the revenue coming in and return on their investment.

And in Kroenke's case, he did so to also prove/share his vision etc for the club. It's not a bad way of doing it if it is handled correctly, rather than an aggressive take-over, which this doesn't seem to be.

I've said for ages that the ideal takeover - if this is what this turns out to be, isn't an overnight job, no matter how well intended. Despite what some on here would have you believe, considering the financial backing the club has, it is doing very, very well in terms of punch per Ā£. Any take over should want to look at how, why and who? No better way of doing that than investing and learning. They can then form a plan of what they would tweak, improve, change etc as well as get an understanding of the clubs identity and what is important to it's core values etc.

I did say people like that are few and far between, but we may, may have found one.