Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Should Norwich have a statue or two somewhere...

To commemorate the achievements of our football team, and its players?

Note that I've said Norwich rather than Norwich City, because they don't have to be outside Carrow Road.

What exactly would be wrong with a Johnny Gavin statue, unveiled somewhere whilst there are still living relatives, and still some elderly fans around who will remember him on the pitch? 

Or, if we want more widespread demographic appeal, what would actually be wrong with a statue of Ian Crook spraying a 40 yard pass?  Or Hoolahan even (both gave us their best 10 years, its a decent qualification).

If the statue needs more than a mere sporting context, then there's always Justin Fashanu, he's historically significant and a pioneer isn't he. 

Why do some consider statues to be cringe? Personally I don't find them cringe unless the player is still young and full of ego and with plenty of time to lose popularity in their non-playing career, do think its better as a sort of a 'lifetime achievement award' or posthumous offering. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

31 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Could swear this thread is binner bait

They put up a statue of a convicted benefits fraudster recently didn't they?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fulham used to have the Michael Jackson statue "because he attended a match once".

Norwich could follow suit and get a Wolverine Statue for Hugh Jackman! 😂

Edited by TheRock

I think a Justin Fashanu statue is a good shout personally. The pose would have have to be the finger in the air after the Liverpool goal, with the facial expression which said, "holy c**p, did I just do that?"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

There are two statues . In the cathedral close . Nelson and Wellington . Beat that you Binner twàts. 

There’s also the bust of Edith Cavell outside the cathedral and the statue of that guy thinking over something outside Next and McDonalds on Gentleman’s Walk. I can’t remember what he’s pontificating but I’m sure someone on here will know. 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If the statue needs more than a mere sporting context, then there's always Justin Fashanu, he's historically significant and a pioneer isn't he. 

Have you forgiven him then TuB ? You were pretty vociferous  in your  previous JF  mentions. 

Its not a bad shout though.  Ommmm.

Edited by wcorkcanary

5 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

There’s also the bust of Edith Cavell outside the cathedral and the statue of that guy thinking over something outside Next and McDonalds on Gentleman’s Walk. I can’t remember what he’s pontificating but I’m sure someone on here will know. 

That is Sir Thomas Browne, Ken's Dad.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Have you forgiven him then TuB ? You were pretty vociferous  in your  previous JF  mentions. 

Its not a bad shout though.  Ommmm.

I'm not a massive fan but I'm in a minority, and as I'm not the city's official blue plaque and statue dictator it wouldn't be up to me.

But he was without a doubt a pioneer, and at least in 100 years people will be able to read the plaque and understand why he's been celebrated and remembered. 

Norfolk seems to be the natural place for his statue to exist.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm not a massive fan but I'm in a minority, and as I'm not the city's official blue plaque and statue dictator it wouldn't be up to me.

But he was without a doubt a pioneer, and at least in 100 years people will be able to read the plaque and understand why he's been celebrated and remembered. 

Norfolk seems to be the natural place for his statue to exist.

Namaste. 

Watling is a good shout but I guess he has the road named after him as well

I don’t think you’d get many arguments with a Wes statue. Every year that passes and particularly with his exploits at Cambridge you really can appreciate what an amazing player he was. A creative level of Skill unlike any other Norwich city player id wager.

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

An alcoholic convicted benefit fraudster. Sums them up

47 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

He is portrayed trying to work out how much Watling Walleted. 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just had to look that up as I had forgotten. Actually quite a sad story for such a talented and somewhat iconic player. Despite who he turned out for

Cameron Jerome for me - celebrating our first Wembley goal (ignoring the og).

Knowing our lot, they'd do it on the cheap so any statue would be completely unrecognisable.

5 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

Knowing our lot, they'd do it on the cheap so any statue would be completely unrecognisable.

Like this one of Niall Quinn?..... 

44278679_403.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Duncan Forbes

Alongside David Stringer and Ron Saunders to commemorate the 50th anniversary of our first promotion to the top division.