Worthy Nigelton

Worst Individual Performance

Simple question, what is the single worst performance by an NCFC player you can recall in your lifetime. Gibson had a shocker at Man Utd this year, Hanley at Liverpool on the opening night two seasons ago, I recall Tettey being dreadful before scoring a great half-volley to win us the match in the dying embers but can't recall who against, Krul v West Brom. For me though, Russell Martin v Liverpool 4-5 game was the worst performance I can remember by an NCFC player in my time. I remember thinking after that game "well at least we will never see Martin at centre half again". How wrong I was.

2 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Theoklitosser in the 1-7 home hiding. Never ever seen a GK so positionally inept

😄 yeah that is undoubtedly number one but I wasn't there for that one.

I can top that.

Simon Tracey against Everton in the FA Cup in 1995. We lost 5-0. He couldn't catch the ball, let alone make a save.

The away section all chanted "It's Tracey's fault, he's sh*t!".

Tracey! Wasn't it his debut when he thought it would be a good idea to dribble the ball past Peter nlove. Yeah that spelling is wrong i know but I can't be bothered to look it up! The Coventry guy. Great player.

The Theo one tho. The keeper was the one thing Gunn should've got right and failed so miserably. I knew then he was screwed. Can't dislike him tho. Still my favourite city keeper

37 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Tracey! Wasn't it his debut when he thought it would be a good idea to dribble the ball past Peter nlove. Yeah that spelling is wrong i know but I can't be bothered to look it up! The Coventry guy. Great player.

The Theo one tho. The keeper was the one thing Gunn should've got right and failed so miserably. I knew then he was screwed. Can't dislike him tho. Still my favourite city keeper

Ndlovu it was. “Nd-lo-vu” is the correct pronunciation, the “on-love” one commentators kept using was wrong.

Still, yep was a good player.

As for worse individual performance, I’d have to say Steve Walsh against Southampton in that 4-0 thrashing. His defending was so sh*te, he was never in the starting line up ever again and only played three more games all coming on as a sub. Lasted just one season and swiftly went off to the non-leagues.

Edited by KernowCanary

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel just for his pass to the invisible man.

It was the moment the fan base decided to write him off once and for all as a lost cause.

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Simple question, what is the single worst performance by an NCFC player you can recall in your lifetime. Gibson had a shocker at Man Utd this year, Hanley at Liverpool on the opening night two seasons ago, I recall Tettey being dreadful before scoring a great half-volley to win us the match in the dying embers but can't recall who against, Krul v West Brom. For me though, Russell Martin v Liverpool 4-5 game was the worst performance I can remember by an NCFC player in my time. I remember thinking after that game "well at least we will never see Martin at centre half again". How wrong I was.

Yeah I rember the tettey performance and then the winner but can't remember who it was against.😚

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It was the moment the fan base decided to write him off once and for all as a lost cause.

I remember Lee Marshall doing that once. I don't even think we were doing well in that game. He started showboating, I think he knew he was off at that point. One point in the game, he did this neat little bit of skill with no one near him, then back healed it to no one, clearly thinking he had just beaten two men and had played this instinctive blind through ball for someone to score a goal off... if youtube was a thing back then I would have said it was done for his highlight reel... 😄

Gilmour in pretty much any game this season

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Wasn't that the game where Tettey pretty much derided his own performance and suggested that the only good thing he did all game was score the goal and he was otherwise pretty miffed at his performance?

2 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Yeah I rember the tettey performance and then the winner but can't remember who it was against.😚

The Tettey match was Preston I think?

Phillip Heise at Crawley in the cup deserves to be up there with some of these listed. Admittedly, only saw about half the game thanks to that wonderful combination of Cabbage and traffic but my god was he bad. 

37 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Normann did the same thing vs Villa.

31 minutes ago, chicken said:

Wasn't that the game where Tettey pretty much derided his own performance and suggested that the only good thing he did all game was score the goal and he was otherwise pretty miffed at his performance?

Yeah! He basically admitted he was awful (he was) but scored a great goal at the end. I miss Tettey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Theoklitosser in the 1-7 home hiding. Never ever seen a GK so positionally inept

This... still gives me nightmares.. seem to remember Malky getting sent off at Port Vale in his debut.. might be wrong as the old memory is going...

• Like 1

Worst performance I've ever seen was Neil emblem couldn't play the ball to anyone and was dragged off at half time. 

Horrendous performance. Never seen anything worse.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

The Tettey match was Preston I think?

Spot on. And he was bad. Basically apologised to the crowd when he scored. 

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Will people give up on this!!! Buendia had a "ghost"pass while here,and Zimmerman a few weeks back passed to a ballboy. RVW was signed and asked to play in a position totally alien to him.Would have been great in Farkes team.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Will people give up on this!!! Buendia had a "ghost"pass while here,and Zimmerman a few weeks back passed to a ballboy. RVW was signed and asked to play in a position totally alien to him.Would have been great in Farkes team.

Decent players make the most of bad situations and find a way to shine no matter the manager/tactics/squad.

Holt managed to look good in a Hughton team

Pukki has scored 10 goals in one of the worst sides to ever be in the PL

RvW was just bad. Stop with the excuses. He had brittle legs, little speed, no awareness, a minute amount of passing ability and absolutely no strength whatsoever. His finishing was OK but he was never a top level player and has repeatedly proven this.

The 'Doc' in almost every game at a half decent level (for which we bought him)

The crowning glory was the FA cup game against Charlton (Roeders last game I believe?). He received the ball about mid way in our half and was shaping to pass to our left back at the time. He then smacked the ball harder than I've ever seen a pass needed to be hit, about 20 yards short of where the LB was, straight into the hoardings. It perfectly encapsulated the evening and complete inept ability of his to do anything worthwhile on a football pitch. Another moment worth an honorable mention - in League 1 against Wycombe, he had a ball played to his feet (perfectly paced) managed to let it crawl under his foot and then started running around in circles like a headless chicken wondering where the ball had gone. Awful player. Entertaining, but awful.

Danny Mills in a 5-1 hiding at Wolves. Mike Walker sent the players back out after just 5 minutes of half time IIRC.

4 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Peter Ndlovu!! Wow! Now there's a name from the past! He was a very underrated player.

And yeah, Gunn was good. If it wasn't for us having two world class keepers at the time (Leighton and Goram) he would've been a Scotland Hall of famer. 

Someone told me Peter Ndlovu has got more than 20 kids.

Can't see beyond Theo v Colchester on this subject, I felt sorry for the guy but his performance was so far below the required level it was laughable and that was league one for goodness sake!

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Keith Scott.

Both on the field of play and on this forum.

100%

Definitely agree re Keith Scott, Theoklitos and the Doc. Remember giving my spurs fan best mate **** for years about how terrible Doc was but then one day he rang with the good news that we signed him! Have never agreed with the people that rated him.

Also remember Daryl Sutch (great player for most of his career)in his last season in a game against someone like Crewe where they had players almost queuing up to go around him he’d become that slow. That performance sticks out for me as very terrible.

9 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Yeah! He basically admitted he was awful (he was) but scored a great goal at the end. I miss Tettey.

I miss him too. The most annoying thing for me is that under Farke I think he actually played some of his best football. Or rather, he looked to have developed his passing game more. Though that wasn't primarily what he was in the team for.

Much of what he was, was bloody hard work and reading the game, both of which can be learnt. What I would do for players like him and Johnson to be in our side now. Neither cost a great deal either.