Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So what WAS Byram doing here? Anyone know?

Been rewatching the highlights and I'm still at a loss at what he was trying to do. Player would never have scored from that angle so no real need for anything silly, it's still 0-0 and early in the first half.. What on Earth was he doing? I'm very much confused and bemused. Did his brain have some kind of 'Wait I'm playing volleyball today!' delusion or? Anybody know? It was clearly intentional too and not an accident.. And to think hes been one of our better defenders this season!

God knows! I couldn't bring myself to watch highlights until now. Actually some decent blocks by our defenders and Rashica's may  have been best chance of the game! He probably had time to bring it under control.

Edited by rock bus

That save by Krul, immense. We are lucky to have him.

And to think there are fans out there who think we should replace him with Gunn 😂

He messed up, it happens, fortunately rarely by Sam Byram. The man who never made a mistake never made anything. 

Imo he got a push in the back - enough for him to over balance (if slightly weirdly) but not enough to be noticed/given.  It was pretty much in front of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's quite obvious that the striker has his arm hooked over byrams shoulder making it impossible for him to actually jump. Why that wasn't spotted by var is anyone's guess.........

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

It's quite obvious that the striker has his arm hooked over byrams shoulder making it impossible for him to actually jump. Why that wasn't spotted by var is anyone's guess.........

Yes it seems clear to me that he was impeded which led to the handball.

Watching the highlights (ha ha) I was surprised that the Norwich players didn't break out into a rendition of " Men of Harlech." A reference for the older members of this forum.

Being impeded doesn't mean he suddenly has to wave his other arm in the air over his head like that.

Moronic piece of play.

Sam maybe needs to try his hand at volleyball?....

When I saw the incident on my 'ahem' babblin' brook, I thought WTF?....A clear penalty, although I think it was just a natural instinct hand to ball....He's not the first and won't be the last to 'do it'....but fortunately for us the 'hoof' penalty means the ball is now in a parallel orbit with the International Space Station.... 

41 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

VAR not doing it's job? Why, I never saw that coming

Classic caught in two minds and making a mess of both. Thought about appealing for foul due to arm on his shoulder, realised it was more dangerous at last second with sun in his eyes and tried to defend it, arm still obeying initial command. Like when you're lining up to shoot and some pillock calls for the ball and you hit the corner flag. That's my excuse anyway.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

VAR not doing it's job? Why, I never saw that coming

VAR did its job by not overturning a very obvious penalty.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

VAR did its job by not overturning a very obvious penalty.

For sure VAR did its job. WTF Sammy boy. 🙈

He got a slight nudge, but Like footballers a slight anything needs to be exaggerated so I think we swung his arms in the air to try to convince the ref to give a FK, forgetting completely about the ball.

Similar to how every game Hanley will be under pressure from an attacker and will do his superman impression when he feels a hand on his back.

I thought he believed he had been ‘clearly’ fouled and popped his hand up to appeal.

Clearly an error, got away with it, solid player in my view, we move on. 

It is clear from the reverse view he is being pulled over - a clear foul which caused him to lose balance. Why didn't var spot that? Who knows.....

Free kick should have gone our way.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

The most blatant penalty I've ever seen. Why half our fans think it's debatable says more about football fans than it does about the decision. 

Anyone who doesn't think that was a penalty needs to take off the yellow tinted specs I'm afraid. 

He panicked because he realised late that the ball was sailing over him, and he knew a player was behind. It was a subconscious reaction.

The mind can play strange tricks when under pressure. Sam is the last player I would expect to panic, but there you go.

It did look weird, but I guess it's the kind of inexplicable mistake you make when your confidence in both yourself and in your team is at a low. 

Like some other people here, though, I'm surprised it was Byram who panicked in that way.

It was a bad mistake from a usually solid defender. I think he felt the contact and tried to make something of it but got it horribly wrong.

We'll need him to be good and strong against Burnley as he'll have plenty  of crosses to deal with and much physical contact!

Was fouled, but didn't really need to put his arm up. Not surprised VAR didn't give us the free-kick though. Footballing basics really, don't go putting your hands above your head in the penalty area (unless you are the keeper, of course!)

As we all know, if you're a defender positioned in your own defending penalty box, and you feel you might've been fouled or impeded, it is always best to immediately try to grab the ball with your hand(s).