He came, he saw, he failed. 

Please leave at the end of the season. 

He was a knee jerk appointment with no thought involved and was a very wrong decision.

• Like 2

The initial line up tonight was interesting to say the least, but ar least he changed it at ht.

Give him 10 games for next season, then review, but the game tonight was over at ht.

6 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Was never in mind when we sacked Farke. 

thats because he was still at Villa at the time! 

Significantly better manager than Daniel Farke. Losing him at the end of the season would be stupid. We won't get better.

Anger and criticism has to be directed to Stuart Webber, who has once again brought together a side simply unable to compete. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

thats because he was still at Villa at the time! 

I know that, Exactly my point. 
I would like to know Webbers plan when he sacked Farke, was it Fat Frank? I struggle to believe Webber was that sure he would get FF. 

Compare last night’s performance with that of the 7-0 at Chelsea and it’s worlds away. Yes, the first half was poor but DS did change shape and personnel at half time and in the end a draw wouldn’t have been an unfair result. Not perfect from Smith but he demonstrably had a plan B which was something Farke struggled with. 

• Like 6

As a side note, if Dean Smith had more than one fit senior striker available would we be better? I think definitely, yes. He had us playing a fairly effective 4-4-2 with Idah that showed a pragmatic way of shaping the squad into one capable of results. Again, another failure of DF. I feel a lot of fans are eager to criticise Smith merely because his name isn’t Daniel Farke.

Edited by (Hoola)Han Solo
  • Like 1

I dont want us to become Watford or Man United.

I dont want us to go on an endless loop of playing bad, well just sack the manager.. Playing bad, well just sack the manager every month

Blame the players. These are not Dean Smiths players.

Judge him at the end of the next season.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 7

I take the point that these are not Dean Smiths players but a decent manager should be able to get the best out of his players. Aston Villa had Dean Smiths players and he was sacked for poor performances Gerrard takes over the management and performances improve with Dean Smiths players. New techniques, new intensity and performances improve. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

I take the point that these are not Dean Smiths players but a decent manager should be able to get the best out of his players. Aston Villa had Dean Smiths players and he was sacked for poor performances Gerrard takes over the management and performances improve with Dean Smiths players. New techniques, new intensity and performances improve. 

Plus big money 💰 signings in January.

Gerrard was given money Smith nada.

Fresh from signing Philippe Coutinho and Lucas Digne from Everton, Villa are being linked with a £40m swoop for Brighton's Yves Bissouma.

Big difference  between Villa and Norwich.

Edited by Mengo

4 hours ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

As a side note, if Dean Smith had more than one fit senior striker available would we be better? I think definitely, yes. He had us playing a fairly effective 4-4-2 with Idah that showed a pragmatic way of shaping the squad into one capable of results. Again, another failure of DF. I feel a lot of fans are eager to criticise Smith merely because his name isn’t Daniel Farke.

We have several who we sent out on loan

12 hours ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

He came, he saw, he failed. 

Please leave at the end of the season. 

He was a knee jerk appointment with no thought involved and was a very wrong decision.

I mean we lost 7-0 against them in the reverse fixture. I get you don't like Dean Smith. Not sure we need to hear about it every week. He'll be here next season.

• Like 1

I thought that we were meant to be developing a way of playing from youth to first team under a progressive management structure, starting with Farke   who could be replaced by someone who would continue the culture/system? Dean Smith is not that person, we have lost any identity we had built up in the last few years and now I am not sure what we are trying to do on pitch now? Looking at the first 45 minutes yesterday the players haven’t got a clue either.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

+ Coutinho | + Digne - Not insignificant additions. I think our season might look a little different if we'd had Coutinho since January.

• Like 1

I completely agree with the OP.

I think it was mentioned also give him 10 games etc, then we are in the same place we always manage to get. New manager working with former managers team and having to makeshift us.

Start looking for a young and upcoming manager who is willing to take risks and has had some success (is Kejetil Knutsson still available for interview??) 

Fire Smith as soon as we are mathematically down

Offload dead weight : Gibson, McClean
Put a few players on notice : Dimi, Hanley, Rupp, PLM, 

Allow players to flourish in the Champ : Rowe, Omabomadele, Josh, Tzolis, Idah
New manager in to stamp his seal from July and then spend the money where is applicable.
Rotate Pukki
Look to make Normann & Williams permanent (although both maybe long shots)

Build a team around Rachica & Josh 

Yeh so i play a lot of FM. Lol, but still if we go down we just need to hit the hard reset I fear under Smith we will just continue the Yoyo as he is out of his depth in the Prem. (Proven at Villa)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

Plus big money 💰 signings in January.

Gerrard was given money Smith nada.

Fresh from signing Philippe Coutinho and Lucas Digne from Everton, Villa are being linked with a £40m swoop for Brighton's Yves Bissouma.

Big difference  between Villa and Norwich.

Swiss Ramble has just tweeted one of his brilliant analyses of Villa's accounts this morning.  They've lost (yes lost) close to half a billion quid over the past ten years.  They've done a dodgy deal on Villa Park, and earned some cash from HS2 of all things as well in getting to those loss figures.  Their salary bill last year was £138m, which us FPA's believe is some £50 - 60 million more than Norwich's.  And they are close to breaching FFP rules at the moment as well - I believe they do need to finish in the top ten to ensure they earn enough to avoid such a breach, that is one of the reasons for Smith's departure.

There certainly is a big difference.

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Significantly better manager than Daniel Farke. Losing him at the end of the season would be stupid. We won't get better.

Anger and criticism has to be directed to Stuart Webber, who has once again brought together a side simply unable to compete. 

Absolute rubbish, Smith with Brentford had a best placed finish of 9th, Thomas frank takes over and in the next 2 seasons they get to P/O final and then promoted, Smith with Villa had a huge budget, had Mcginn, Grelish, Abraham to name a few and managed 6th place in the Championship. you might say well he only joined them part way through the season but Farke and Norwich got more points in that time than villa and on paper we had a  much weaker squad. At the time of Smith Sacking Villa had 5 more points than Norwich having spent hundred's of Millions, the Sad fact is Smith isn't a good manager and never has been. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ridgeman said:

And the catalyst to the upturn in Villas form has been the signing of Coutinho by Gerrard! Who did we sign? No one yet again! 

Even Pep would struggle to get this lot playing better

5 hours ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

Compare last night’s performance with that of the 7-0 at Chelsea and it’s worlds away. Yes, the first half was poor but DS did change shape and personnel at half time and in the end a draw wouldn’t have been an unfair result. Not perfect from Smith but he demonstrably had a plan B which was something Farke struggled with. 

Your point being? We beat Brentford away under Farke but lost at home, we lost 1-0 at Arsenal but were hammered 5-0 at home so its easy to pick and choose to make your point.  Your point about a plan B is null and void really as everyone who has watched us since Smith came in Knows 442 is our best formation for his "style" (although I'm not sure what smiths is) of football, I'm not sure how anyone would come up with that plan A last night!!

Amazing how different people can see things.  Smith significantly better than Farke?  Really? 

Anger at Webber for the players he brought in rather than anger at him for sacking Farke?

Webber's dilemna was like a card game - stick or twist......he should have stuck.

10 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Your point being? We beat Brentford away under Farke but lost at home, we lost 1-0 at Arsenal but were hammered 5-0 at home so its easy to pick and choose to make your point.  Your point about a plan B is null and void really as everyone who has watched us since Smith came in Knows 442 is our best formation for his "style" (although I'm not sure what smiths is) of football, I'm not sure how anyone would come up with that plan A last night!!

Calm down love, you’ll give yourself a heart attack 😅

5 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Great response, I take it you can now see what nonsense you first posted! 

My work here is done. 

I completely stand by what I said. The plan A wasn’t good enough but DS did actually change it and we improved. Maybe you’d like to offer your opinion on why you think I’m wrong, instead of being a whiny fanny?

I feel it that would be quite unfair to sack Dean Smith so soon as some seem to want. He surely deserves a window and a chance to prove himself (along with Shakespeare) next season in the Championship.

We are talking about Championship of course because if we do survive this season he will be seen as a miracle worker and be given the Freedom of the City.

Both Smith and Shakespeare have established good reputations for themselves within the game, and I am still in the camp of those that consider we are lucky to  have them both at Carrow Road. Last night's first half display (and to a certain extent the loss to Brentford) may have dimmed my enthusiasm for the pair, but they deserve being persevered with.

I think this goes without say, especially considering the impact of some bad luck with injuries and covid that need taking into account.

All this apart, the financial hit of paying off another manager and his staff so soon after Farke's departure could be crucial. We are not Watford, after all, we are "little................................" 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

So surely its Webbers fault that Farke also couldn’t get them performing? The jury is massively out on if Smith is a better manager than Farke. Let’s see what next season brings 

7 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

I completely stand by what I said. The plan A wasn’t good enough but DS did actually change it and we improved. Maybe you’d like to offer your opinion on why you think I’m wrong, instead of being a whiny fanny?

So why do we get the Crankies through the midfield every week when Wee Billy Crankie couldnt out muscle a dead fish?
With Idah injured why are we not running someone else behind Pukki?
Why is Gibson even allowed near the starting 11?

I think we had a slight revival for 2-3 games and the change freshened us up however its now too little too late.
Smith can certainly change a game, we have seen that but last night it was game set and match at 15 minutes. WHY is he setting the team up so badly in the first place.

Hes out of his depth in the Premier League.