Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Cantwell opens up and speaks..

Would be nice to have last seasons Cantwell in our lineup

Head and shoulders above what we have at present 

• Like 1

It's not about having sympathy, but if the situation could have been handled better by both parties. In my opinion it could have.

At the end of the day not having an in-form Cantwell, is one of the reasons we will be relegated.

• Like 2

The handling of this this situation is one of the many disasters of this season sadly.

13 minutes ago, Clint said:

The handling of this this situation is one of the many disasters of this season sadly.

Without a doubt. The cantwell affair turned into a bad soap opera. Three people are in that soap opera. Namely Todd.  Farke and webber. Not so long ago we were talking of Todd's value 30m plus. Sadly that will not happen now. So much for sustainability of the Model. Mismanaged f*ck up , that's cost a lot of 💰 

• Like 3

Looks like he's teeing himself up to a permanent move. Decent player and would have been useful next season. 

I have no idea what went on. All I know is that I have heard from some people that know him that he is a nice young man and that he looks to me to be a great Norfolk talent.

I hope that he goes on to have a great career and I shall watch with interest but will always be sad that, for whatever reason, he didn't reach his potential with us.

• Like 5

He will be in the EPL next year and, Norwich City will not. 

Whatever happened he got himself a great move to a provincial club in a nice area and with a good manager. 

I'm not convinced by him  at this level. Technically good but physically, severely lacking. If he had genuine pace, he'd be awesome but I don't think he'll ever cut it in the Premier League because of it, his 'good' technique is not 'good enough' to make up for his lack of physicality for me. He'll have a decent career, but talks of big clubs and potential England is extremely unlikely in my opinion.

I think this situation sums up what has gone wrong at the Club. Two great seasons in the Championship sandwiched a crazy, brexit blighted, season in the EPL.

And he was an integral part in all three of those seasons. But this season, whatever the reason, we haven't seen him perform. Obviously two of his midfield partners had gone and were replaced with sub standard players who certainly kept us on the back foot, not a favourite of Todds.

If he comes back, I would welcome him with open arms. I think he has a place certainly in a 4-4-2. But if Bournemouth want him and he wants them, probably in the EPL, then good luck to him. 

And this good riddance attitude is not fair IMO. 

• Like 1

The article does not really explain what went on. The whole thing is really sad to be honest. Todd is a lovely player and has the class to be a regular premier league player. It is just sad he was not able to show that for us this season as we need good players and Todd is a good player. Sad.

• Like 1

Some of our fans have been so unduly harsh on him. Mainly I think because he dares to have long hair and is a young person on Instagram. Seeing some of these comments online might have affected him. And if they did, that shouldn’t be a criticism either. Being sensitive isn’t a weakness.None of us know his personality or what happened with him at the club this season.

But anyway, whatever did or didn’t happen, I hope he has a great career and does Norfolk proud.

• Like 9

Whilst I understand that he can't just blurt out the truth, that's typical Cryptic Cantwell right there!

Two things from this:

1) He claims that he wasn't given a run of games, however Farke publicly said that Cantwell rarely made himself available for training. I understand that players get niggly injuries but he can't expect to waltz into the first team after a few days of training. His fitness would be no where near the standard required and it doesn't send a good message to the other players who are training consistently.

2) “The difficult thing was that there was a lot of assumptions around what was happening and what wasn’t happening" More detail on this would be interesting to hear.... assumptions on Todd's side or assumptions on the club's side?

Also, nice to hear Danny Murphy talking absolute waffle. Clearly no particular insight into Todd, probably aprt from watching him a few times in the 2020/21 season.

Seems to me like he's trying to make out he was hard done by and should  shoulder none of the blame for how things turned out, but as has been pointed out, Farke explained that Todd was rarely available for training, which makes it look like he was trying to engineer a move. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, however the fact that Smith publically praised him and also gave him game time when he arrived, would suggest the latter.

The only shame of losing Todd is we didn’t get a fee. He’s never going to be a top player or help us establish at prem level. Immature beyond belief.

44 minutes ago, WD40 said:

The only shame of losing Todd is we didn’t get a fee. He’s never going to be a top player or help us establish at prem level. Immature beyond belief.

Thought we had some kind of 'bourmouth can sign him for 10 million if they go up' thing attached to his loan?

• Like 1

Thought he was better than he was, thought he was above being dropped, didn't react well to falling out of favour nor did he want to put in the hard yards to make it back to the levels he could (i.e. train properly!). Of course stuff from the fans didn't help and I'm sure the club could've done things better but ultimately this has been a mess of his own doing. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thought we had some kind of 'bourmouth can sign him for 10 million if they go up' thing attached to his loan?

Is he ripping up trees there and that’s likely to happen? No goals or assists so far from what I can tell. Maybe it will you’re right. £10m much better than nothing. 

50 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes that's the reported option price. If Bournemouth get the in-form Cantwell, playing at his full potential, it's an absolute bargain. We can see for ourselves what that kind of money normally buys you!

Whether the transfer completes is another matter. Bournemouth have a Russian owner and there's no guarantee the club will see any of the EPL money, it will head back to Russia for Putin get his hands on. We'll certainly want all the transfer money up front!

I hope the deal falls through.

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And this good riddance attitude is not fair IMO. 

The "good riddance" attitude to him is understandable, as he plainly thought he should be getting more game time and Farke said wait until your fully fit. Who is right in that situation?  Farke. 100%.  He was the boss and Todd the employee. Todd - who on Farke leaving said "we didn't always see eye to eye" shows right there what his attitude was.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The "good riddance" attitude to him is understandable, as he plainly thought he should be getting more game time and Farke said wait until your fully fit. Who is right in that situation?  Farke. 100%.  He was the boss and Todd the employee. Todd - who on Farke leaving said "we didn't always see eye to eye" shows right there what his attitude was.

Ah yes because A) You know exactly every detail of what happened (unlike the rest of us) and B) Bosses are always 100% right and employees are chumps who should just shut up and always do whatever they are told, am I right?

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Ah yes because A) You know exactly every detail of what happened (unlike the rest of us) and B) Bosses are always 100% right and employees are chumps who should just shut up and always do whatever they are told, am I right?

Knowing every detail is not necessary and it is not that difficult to understand the situation - and if a boss is disagreed with, then yes, ultimately, an employee has to do as they are told, or at least just get on with the job the best they can given the circumstances.

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Wow so the boss is always right?

Sadly he wasn't, and he was sacked, and for all we know player management was one of the reasons.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Knowing every detail is not necessary and it is not that difficult to understand the situation - and if a boss is disagreed with, then yes, ultimately, an employee has to do as they are told, or at least just get on with the job the best they can given the circumstances.

You have no idea what happened, Farke could have really poorly managed him. I hope you don’t manage people if this is your attitude.

You’re absolutely blind to the idea Farke was ever fallible despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Most of us appreciate Farke for what he achieved and the man he is, we don’t worship him like you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think this situation sums up what has gone wrong at the Club. Two great seasons in the Championship sandwiched a crazy, brexit blighted, season in the EPL.

This is the strangest brexit drop I've seen in a while. Not sure that had much to do with it.

Could you possibly mean 'Covid-blighted'?