I’m genuinely worried about that.

Unbelievably, last years team would thrash this years. That says it all really. What I saw yesterday wasn’t even a good championship team. 

Edited by Coneys Knee

21 minutes ago, City fan said:

could recent history repeat itself and city drop straight through to league one.

It wouldn't be history repeating itself as we've never got relegated to League One immediately after getting relegated from the Premier League.

• Like 2

Don't think we are quite bad enough to drop two divisons but given a lot of our players will be leaving, we will have a lot of deadwood and need a serious squad rebuild and Sadly I get the feeling Delia won't allow us much money.. Fair to say there may worrying times ahead. 

Honestly don't even think we will make the playoffs, statisticly Buendia carried us to the title last season and well fair to say we dont have anyone like him nevermind having him. Like I said, don't think we will 'pull an Ipswich' by spending two decades stuck in the championship before then being relegated to the third divisin but I do feel we won't be going up next season.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 hours ago, City fan said:

could recent history repeat itself and city drop straight through to league one.

@nutty nigel think there is another pledge coming up. Another who thinks we will be relegated next season. 

What absolute rubbish. We are not good enough for the premier League but still may stay up. But even losing 3 or 4 players on the summer will certainly be top 6 in the championship

Jesus wept, this is supreme pants wetting.
We need Webber gone and Deano gone (yup sorry) and then a rebuild under a young up for it manager (Farke?)
The issue for us has been inept transfer activity and a team who is out of their depth.
Ajer cost Brentford 14m, Gibson cost us 9m

The gulf in quality between the two is huge.

3 hours ago, City fan said:

No, we're more likely to get promoted at the first attempt again.

16 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Jesus wept, this is supreme pants wetting.
We need Webber gone and Deano gone (yup sorry) and then a rebuild under a young up for it manager (Farke?)
The issue for us has been inept transfer activity and a team who is out of their depth.
Ajer cost Brentford 14m, Gibson cost us 9m

The gulf in quality between the two is huge.

I disagree - they are both pretty dreadful at this level. They both had awful games yesterday - Rashica was all over Ajer for the first 30 minutes and if Taylor had refereed properly he would have been off for two yellows before he even got a chance to flick on the corner. I was really disappointed that Rashica stopped running at him once he was booked as he was a red card waiting to happen.

£9m or £14m is irrelevant - neither buys you enough quality to be a consistent PL defender.

I was thinking this was a possibility for Sheff Utd this year, they started the season under Jocamovic utterly clueless and bereft of an identity.  Got rid of him, Heckingbottom reverted to Wilder tactics and hey, Lazarus style they float to playoffs.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

the Championship is an utterly dreadful league these days, we will be fine

Yer totally agree, the championship is an awfull league. 

it is full of cloggers now trying to eke out 1-0 wins. Unless you have players clearly too good for the league it is just full of teams who cancel each other out and get bogged down

Our season in the third tier was really enjoyable, but we won’t be there any time soon again. 

The Championship is bereft of quality when you exclude clubs with parachute payments, even NCFC would struggle to get relegated.

Auto promotion will be the expectation if we strengthen where required.

To be fair several on here predicted us getting relegated both seasons where we won the title.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

To be fair several on here predicted us getting relegated both seasons where we won the title.

It really is ridiculous to even think about second-guessing where we will be or finish next season…there’s still a quarter of this season left to go!!  It’s obviously likely we’ll be in the Champs, but there’s no reason at all to assume we would struggle…some of our ‘supporters’ are unbelievably fickle.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing is certain, this current team will not get promoted next year

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AJ said:

You could be right, but I don't think it's a certainty.

Hopefully it won't quite be the current team, though. We will clearly need another decent striker, and one as well researched as Pukki, Buendia and a few others were. Possibly a player from the lower leagues of the FL or some exotic foreign clime.

The Norman situation requires resolving. I'd like to keep him, but the obstacles seem enormous, and they are not just financial.

Either way,  we would urgently need that long longed for defensive midfielder, even though we would still have Sorensen.

That apart, I would like to see the back of McClean, Dowell, Placheta  and Hugill and (sob) Argos. whilst many are forecasting the departure of Max Aarons, finally. Gilly Bilmour will be on his bike, and not before time.

A few youngsters are lurking. Rowe and Mumba obviously, but I retain faith in Tzolis. I also had a lot of hopes for Josh Martin, but his loans haven't gone as expected.

It is often said that whilst the team is in the Premier League it is harder to blood youngsters as you first and foremost need a team made up of so-called Premier League players. This is probably more or less true, and although Omo and Rowe clearly refute this youngsters obviously have a better chance of breaking through in the Chumps.

We always seem to have more than our fair share of promising youth that the surrounding hype  abounds with appalling consistency, and I, for one, have long since lost track.

Hopefully one, two or three will become a force next season but (god forbid) should we not go up then the following season  could well see a massive influx of 'Canary Babes.' I'm now thinking of the likes of Gibbs (the Ipswich superstar) and a few other names from the youth teams that are mentioned a lot. Youngsters like Dixon-Peters.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Sell a few, get rid of the dead wood and don’t forget that magic parachute payment dropping on the mat. Should still be very competitive next season. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I disagree - they are both pretty dreadful at this level. They both had awful games yesterday - Rashica was all over Ajer for the first 30 minutes and if Taylor had refereed properly he would have been off for two yellows before he even got a chance to flick on the corner. I was really disappointed that Rashica stopped running at him once he was booked as he was a red card waiting to happen.

£9m or £14m is irrelevant - neither buys you enough quality to be a consistent PL defender.

Ajer is an excellent CB well worth £14m and a not particularly good RB. The one significant Bees recruitment failure since going up is in not getting in a PL level RB/RWB (our main target over 2 windows, Vanderson, went to Monaco- not much you can do to compete there!). I’ve wondered whether, if you go down and we don’t, Aarons might be a good fit, but I suspect you’ll want north of £20m even after a mediocre season (which any 22 year old in a relegated team could be forgiven for). 

On 07/03/2022 at 10:04, aBee said:

Ajer is an excellent CB well worth £14m and a not particularly good RB. The one significant Bees recruitment failure since going up is in not getting in a PL level RB/RWB (our main target over 2 windows, Vanderson, went to Monaco- not much you can do to compete there!). I’ve wondered whether, if you go down and we don’t, Aarons might be a good fit, but I suspect you’ll want north of £20m even after a mediocre season (which any 22 year old in a relegated team could be forgiven for). 

Ajer is effectively another Janson - not good enough in the longer term for the PL. You can certainly have Aarons for me, he's been pretty woeful, and he's also not really good enough for the PL. Your best player on Saturday, despite Toney's hat-trick, was your keeper. Toney is decent, as is Eriksen of course and Da Silva on his day. I didn't see anyone else in your team who is good enough to be a regular next season to stop you doing a Sheffield Utd/Huddersfield. You need 7 or 8 additions at £15-£20m each to have a chance.

On 06/03/2022 at 21:16, City 101 said:

We will be ok in the champs until the parachute payments stop then we will be in big trouble .

Recent history suggests when the parachute payments stop we win the league...

18 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Ajer is effectively another Janson - not good enough in the longer term for the PL. You can certainly have Aarons for me, he's been pretty woeful, and he's also not really good enough for the PL. Your best player on Saturday, despite Toney's hat-trick, was your keeper. Toney is decent, as is Eriksen of course and Da Silva on his day. I didn't see anyone else in your team who is good enough to be a regular next season to stop you doing a Sheffield Utd/Huddersfield. You need 7 or 8 additions at £15-£20m each to have a chance.

I don’t think we’d buy anywhere near that many! It will be tough but better to focus on a couple of additions of quality than a full on rebuild in one go. 

You’re right Raya is our key player- I think we’d be 6-10 points better off had he not been out injured half the season as apart from his shot stopping his ability with the ball at his feet and distribution make a big difference to how we play. On that basis the rest of the team is somewhat better than you credit. Ajer is no RB and looks much better at RCB. 

I think several players will improve with a season in the team/country/division under their belts. Sheffield United just bought atrociously and late (I’m amazed Sharp played in their promotion team let alone still playing now). Their team was built on Egan and O’Connell, a pair of CBs we offloaded as a bit mediocre and you’ll struggle to find a Bee who changed mind on that even as they went up and survived a season. Huddersfield were a bit of a freak promotion team in going up with negative goal difference and through iirc two play off penalty shoot outs after 0-0s. Coming down was much less a surprise than going up and staying up!