Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Midfield 3 against Brentford

6 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

I really hope we don't have a 'midfield three' as we have done a lot better when Teemu gets some support near him.

It's a 442 for me.

I very much doubt Teemu will be playing if his recent form is anything to go by, and Jonathan Rowe, who brought the best out of Allison last night, is in his place. 
Teemu has had plenty of support of late, yet has missed so many chances. His time, for me, is up, at 31 he is definitely not a premier league striker!

Edited by City 2nd

Just do away with the midfield "3" completely! A 4231 or a 442 with cms not venturing too far forwards. Either way, it's a solid two in the centre of the park to not get overrun. In theory a midfield 3 should give us more cover but none of the 3 have any positional discipline whatsoever and it just leaves gaping holes. 

Think the flak PP gets for not having a football brain could equally be levelled at our cms.

When we play without two forwards we have no outlet, the keeper passes it 10 yards to the central defender and the panic starts.

That’s why three in midfield is a complete waste of time, and as soon as Idah got injured it left us with one obvious option which is Pukki and Sargent (for his aerial efforts)….

We have to go 4-4-2 with our lack of midfield quality…. Would try something else e.g.  

Gunn / Krul

Byram, Hanley, Gibson, Williams (reluctantly as season is over, better off playing our own where possible but Giannoulis is too lightweight).

Aarons, Normann, Rupp, Rashica

Sorensen, Pukki …. Sorensen can play anywhere and IMO offers more aerial and general technical ability than Sargent.  

subs…. GK, any available but not McLean, Gilmour or Platcheta.     Time to move them all on!   

I think if we start with two in midfield you probably end up with a game like v Palace where they had 70% of the possession. We need to have the majority of the ball and to be taking the game to Brentford IMO.

My view is we should go with a 4-2-3-1(Sorenson & Normann in a double pivot), but it seems this is not considered a good set up for us in the EPL. 

Can anyone explain to me why, as we seem to have the personnel to deliver this? 

It also worked well in the Chumps, so maybe it will against Brentford and Leeds?

If Deano doesn't change it this weekend then he will plummet in my estimation. Its been plain to see where our problems are and if he sticks with the tired old players he can pack his bags for all I care.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If Deano doesn't change it this weekend then he will plummet in my estimation. Its been plain to see where our problems are and if he sticks with the tired old players he can pack his bags for all I care.

Any particular players in mind KK? 

23 hours ago, hogesar said:

Normann was totally anonymous yesterday. 

I don't think any of our midfielders are really better than the other overall. They all have a couple of strengths and multiple weaknesses. I guess Normann is slightly ahead of the rest but after that it's much of a muchness. Rupp deserves to start again, So if we say two a Normann and Rupp then I'd want either Mclean / PLM for some physical presence / aerial ability.

Normann took ages to get up to speed when he first arrived and looks like it's the same again on his way back from injury. I think I'd still play him, though. He offers that little bit of flair that we're sorely missing in midfield.

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its been plain to see where our problems are

Not so easy to identify solutions, though, I'd say. Every team I try to pick solves one problem by creating another.

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Not so easy to identify solutions, though, I'd say. Every team I try to pick solves one problem by creating another.

They all have short comings so whichever 3 are picked compound those shortcomings by 3 times

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Any particular players in mind KK? 

Rupp stood out for me on Wednesday. I was going for Byram as MOTM but his goal swayed it. I think he must start.

Rowe showed he had the pace and ability to go past people and he had a good effort saved well.

Rashica has shown us he likes taking players on. If he could improve where and when he crosses he would be a good asset.

That leaves the two in the boiler room so to speak. We cannot let Brentford get in the ascendancy. We must take the game to them. So i think one needs to sit and one attack. I think Sorenson can sit but doubt Deano will pick him.

I don't believe Gilmour should start. It just isn't working out and he isn't ours. So for his energy alone it has to be Kenny sitting so that would let Normann get forward.

I'm not bothered if the full backs don't attack to much. They will just move forward naturally.

So for me its

Krul

Byram Hanley Gibson Williams

McLean

Rowe Normann Rupp Rashica

Sargent.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I know. I have an awful feeling that Deano will not take even the smallest chance. And players who played better on Wednesday will be benched.

Chris Hughton springs to mind.

Think people are beginning to see what Rupp brings now. He's diligent off the ball, even if he lacks a fair bit of strength to be more dominant in the tackle. He's a very energetic presence who's good at picking up loose balls or breaking away from a player, has a healthy turn of speed, and likes to hit a shot from some distance (nice to see one land in the net for once).

I think people sleep on him because he's not a player who's too likely to cut a defence open with a pass, whilst not being a defensive midfielder. He's more interested in balls that keep us moving forward rather than playing the Hollywood-style assist. Or, as Garry Nelson wrote of a teammate in Left Foot In The Grave, he doesn't concern himself with brilliant passes, he's all about a constant stream of telling ones.

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Can anyone explain to me why, as we seem to have the personnel to deliver this?

Unfortunately, it’s blatantly obvious that we don’t have the personnel for any formation.

To play out from the back requires competent high quality footballers comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces with movement around them so that everyone has options. The pressing game is so sophisticated nowadays compounded by the fact that we make it so obvious what we’re doing that our defenders get closed down far too quickly and easily with the end result that we are forced to play the ball long when the midfielders have all come short for the ball.

Of course playing long balls up to Teemu Pukki is not going to work. The reason we had some form of success and momentum was that Adam Idah came into form / Was given more opportunity and was able to hold the ball up and / or run in behind defenders at pace plus give some support to Teemu.

In short, we don’t have anywhere near enough quality or confidence to play out from the back and we don’t have the type of players suitable to play long.

Is it any wonder we look completely uncompetitive on a football pitch.

anyone suggesting the Brentford game is a must win game is truly delusioned. We are relegated already, there is no way out with this squad. The only question is who gets relegated with us.

I spent the last 20 years telling my kid he needs to believe but to be fair, I only do that when there is some realism attached.

The only times we are really competitive are the first 15 minutes of matches or otherwise when we go more direct and therefore the only solution seems to be to have someone upfront who can compete in the air.

No, I definitely don’t suggest we should have kept Hugill.   But I would try Jakob Sorensen or even give Kenny McLean a go since he’s got better aerial threat than others and can do less harm…..it’s pointless playing him in midfield in any event.   I’d even try Max Aarons on the right side of midfield ahead of Byram in the right back position.   If we went along, at least our midfielders would then be in a position to compete for the knockdowns.

Has to be 4-4-2 but please, please, please, no more Platcheta or Gilmour.

OTBC.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

41 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rupp stood out for me on Wednesday. I was going for Byram as MOTM but his goal swayed it. I think he must start.

Rowe showed he had the pace and ability to go past people and he had a good effort saved well.

Rashica has shown us he likes taking players on. If he could improve where and when he crosses he would be a good asset.

That leaves the two in the boiler room so to speak. We cannot let Brentford get in the ascendancy. We must take the game to them. So i think one needs to sit and one attack. I think Sorenson can sit but doubt Deano will pick him.

I don't believe Gilmour should start. It just isn't working out and he isn't ours. So for his energy alone it has to be Kenny sitting so that would let Normann get forward.

I'm not bothered if the full backs don't attack to much. They will just move forward naturally.

So for me its

Krul

McLean

Sargent.

So for his energy alone it has to be Kenny sitting

But I don't think Kenny has the discipline to sit. It seems to me that part of the problem with our midfield is that they all want to roam (except for Sorensen), so often there is no shape at all in the middle and these massive holes appear.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

So for his energy alone it has to be Kenny sitting

But I don't think Kenny has the discipline to sit. It seems to me that part of the problem with our midfield is that they all want to roam (except for Sorensen), so often there is no shape at all in the middle and these massive holes appear.

Well its time for Deano to act. That is what a good coach would do. Not just pick a side. Get things drummed into players heads.

I would go Sorenson all day but I don't think Deano has the nerve.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

So for me its

Krul

McLean

Sargent.

I just don't think Kenny offers anything. He runs around a lot and has a good engine, but his passing isn't great, he's not great in the air, most of his shots reach the moon. I'd sacrifice him and either swap him for Sorensen in same formation, or take him out and play Pukki and Sargent up top in 442. Tomorrow is about being brave. Rupp looked good, Rowe looks exciting and energetic and makes things happen. They look the in form players along with rashica, Williams deserves his place as does Byram and I'd love to see Smith make these brave decisions.

But alas, expect Smith will revert to same old same old with Normann, Mclean and Gilmour, our fate will be sealed, BBC will again rate Gilmour top player, and 27,000 fans will rate him worst 🤣     

We have an even chance of beating Brentford but if Gilmore is in the team, Brentford will probably win. We need all our starting eleven battling hard - we just can't afford to carry a player.

I don't understand where all the hype with Gilmore is coming from ? Why he is selected ? he hasn't shown any potential ! In my opinion he's the poorest of our central midfielders and the only player I don't want to see selected. If we have a smallish player in there who can't tackle - he needs the skills of Hoolahan ! We have a run of games against middle/lower order teams but Gilmore's inclusion will probably see us shuck those points. If he can't get into a poor Everton squad - that implies he's rubbish & he's shown that ! If Smith selects him - he's rubbish as well !

Gilmore won't be in today's team, as Gilmore doesn't play for us. 

I sincerely hope Gilmour isn't picked for us today. We should stop playing him as he doesn't offer us anything. He looks so lightweight.

Normann, Rupp, Sorenseon, PLM, even Mclean should be ahead of him in the pecking order

Rupp 

Normann                        PLM

• Like 1

On 03/03/2022 at 09:00, Worthy Nigelton said:

No you're not. I'd have that too. Unfortunately it will be McLean plus two others.

I agree, it seems that McLean is bulletproof. Does nothing for me, but every week there he is.

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

FML. Is Rupp injured?

I mean his face was all over the pre match graphic so presumably? Otherwise it’s a bit odd

It's gone beyond a joke with Mclean and Gilmour. It's so bizarre when all the fans can see it but the management can't. This is poor, poor stuff from Dean Smith.