Channon’s Windmill

Tzolis squad absence?

1 hour ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Missed the post match press conference, was anything mentioned re Tzolis? If he was injured it’s fair enough , if he wasn’t that’s a real worry as our bench was pretty defensive heavy. Thanks

Things don't look good for you if Placheta, Rowe & Dowell are seen as a better option than yourself. 

Smith seems to have taken a liking to Placheta, he must look good in training!!!

Wasn’t it touted that Webber had scouted Tzolis a while back and was keen to work with him? Feels like a bit of a luxury signing for a campaign that needed ballast. Whatever the Webber (pun intended) I think the core of that midfield will see changes hopefully. 

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should never have taken the ball to take the Pen..

Cost him badly, and probably cost us badly, too.

Good that he’s playing for the 23s - players need to have minutes on the pitch, whoever it is for. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should never have taken the ball to take the Pen..

I often wonder about Snodgrass/RvW and what might have been if Ricky had taken the pen vs Villa all those years ago.  

Really surprised we didn't loan him out to the Chump or League One.

It's a different kind of physicality in the Chump which he's going to have to get used to, and the refs are generally garbage.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I often wonder about Snodgrass/RvW and what might have been if Ricky had taken the pen vs Villa all those years ago.  

Flakeyo Lakeyo knows.

Tzolis is only just turned 20, not everyone can be a Max, staple of the first team at that age. Think he's shown potential which is all we can reasonably expect at his age. I'm not gonna write him off yet. Whatever league we are in next season, hopefully he will have more opportunities to break through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Argos said:

Tzolis is only just turned 20, not everyone can be a Max, staple of the first team at that age. Think he's shown potential which is all we can reasonably expect at his age. I'm not gonna write him off yet. Whatever league we are in next season, hopefully he will have more opportunities to break through.

You're right. I guess we all bought the hype and now we're disappointed because he's not Messi.

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Won't be long before there's talk of him sleeping with a team mate's wife.

Every time🤣🤣

30 minutes ago, Argos said:

Yes and no - the fact is he cost over £10m, and for that we should definitely expect someone who clearly puts effort in and shows flashes of ability that sadly haven’t really been there to see anything like often enough.

He may well be a world great in years to come but that isn’t what we needed for this season. Unless he suddenly comes good and plays a full role in helping us stay up, he has to go down as a very poor bit of recruitment for where we are/what we needed. If that is the case it clearly is not his fault, it is Webber who bought him when he wasn’t ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'mon he was man of the match in his first game, yeah againt a championchip team but none the less, 2 goals and 2 assists.

Its quite obvious that Farke screwed him up after that penalty kick he took which apparently was assigned to someone else. 

Its not rocket science, Tzolis is a goal scorer and he needs to score goals so why would Farke not assign Tzolis as the penalty taker?Why not show your young superstar that you have confidence in him and you want him to succeed? Why make a point to publicly throw him under the bus?

Farke out of ego purposely screwed him up.

Now, for sure it's up to Tzolis to take his career in his own hands and prove everyone what he's capable of. I personally am not happy that he went back to greece to celebrate his birthday, he should be focusing on his training and getting better. 

If he doesn't dominate in the u23 then its his loss and hes gotta take full responsibility.

Yes, this seems to be going badly wrong, beginning with the penalty incident. IMO 1) Tzolis should have not done what he did in insisting on taking the penalty 2) The captain on the pitch should have firmly told Tzolis that he was not the designated penalty taker and handed the ball to Idah 3) Farke should not have gone public about the incident. Until that point, everything seemed fine. After that point, it seemed to start to go sour.

It's hard to know what has happened since Smith arrived, but he doesn't seem impressed with Tzolis for whatever reasons. Perhaps Smith has been so focused on moving away from Farke's focus on ball possession that he feels there is no room in his plan for the relatively smaller and slower Tzolis. Perhaps Tzolis shows himself less willing to track back, or is less aware of the overall state of the players on the pitch? Hence Placheta, with his directness and speed. (Although IMO Placheta's speed is theoretical in the sense that he's nowhere near as quick in his brain as he is in his feet. For instance, Rashica may not have Placheta's speed figures, but in a game he is much faster with the ball because he thinks more quickly. Some players have a footballing brain and some don't.)

I just hope that Tzolis can show his undoubted skill soon. OK, as some posters point out, it was only a mix of first-team and second-team Bournemouth, but that was a very promising performance from Tzolis and I'm sure many of us thought we'd signed a real gem after that night. I'm disappointed that having him, Rowe and Kabak in the under-23s last night didn't end up in a victory. I doubt if Smith will be risking any of them soon, apart from Rowe's usual twenty minutes at the end of games.

3 hours ago, Tzol Machine said:

C'mon he was man of the match in his first game, yeah againt a championchip team but none the less, 2 goals and 2 assists.

Its quite obvious that Farke screwed him up after that penalty kick he took which apparently was assigned to someone else. 

Its not rocket science, Tzolis is a goal scorer and he needs to score goals so why would Farke not assign Tzolis as the penalty taker?Why not show your young superstar that you have confidence in him and you want him to succeed? Why make a point to publicly throw him under the bus?

Farke out of ego purposely screwed him up.

Now, for sure it's up to Tzolis to take his career in his own hands and prove everyone what he's capable of. I personally am not happy that he went back to greece to celebrate his birthday, he should be focusing on his training and getting better. 

If he doesn't dominate in the u23 then its his loss and hes gotta take full responsibility.

It was against a reserve championship side.

The fact his penalty was so poor probably explains why he wasn't the designated taker.

You lay all the blame on Farke yet Farke has an absolutely tremendous record of developing and playing young players at Norwich. He has also been proven correct in pretty much every instance when he hasn't played them.

For your info, Farke significantly helped the careers of Maddison, Godfrey, Lewis, Cantwell, Buendia, Aarons and to a lesser extent Josh and Jacob Murphy.

Tzolis is the odd one out. He has looked completely ineffective whenever he has played.

• Like 2

The thing that bothers me about Tzolis is that he doesn’t seem bothered. 

There’s no tempo to his game, no aggression, no enthusiasm. On the rare occasion he does get on the pitch you’d think he’d be blowing out his backside to try to make an impact, but instead he seems to trot around lost barely breaking out of a light jog. It’s very bizarre.

My guess is he’s probably homesick and very unhappy. Whatever it is we need to find a solution because I’m sure we didn’t buy him for that fee blindly. 

The problem is he needs to perform and just hasn’t- against Charlton, for example, he could have stepped up and shown something against weaker opposition-  instead he was largely anonymous and seemed lethargic. Bottom line- he needs to take the opportunity when it arises or he won’t fulfil his undoubted potential. Hoping he might click at some point and come good or it will not be good in terms of resale value - might he become the next Canos? Hardly played here but goes on to be ok elsewhere - I hope not 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots
  • Like 1

Seems to me that his confidence and self-belief is rock bottom, he doesn't have that spark. The homesickness theory is a good one, wouldn't be at all surprised if thats the case. 

In any event pillocks hammering him on Twtter last night for his miss won't do him any good. 

The surprise to me is that we had an entire back 4 on the bench, Bryam, kabak, zimbo and gianlouliss. 

The question of the OP was posed at Smith at today's presser.  Seems Deano is on the case and we can expect some reaction in the near future, if Tzolis is up to it.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Its a non news item. No surprise he would be unhappy at not playing. But if he is not showing enough in training to be picked then it is down to him to fight for his place. 

Tbf Smith has already said he's massively lacking in confidence and they need to build him back up again.

Our attacking options off the bench of Dowell, Placheta & Rowe is quite concerning when needing to make a change.