Crabbycanary3

Adam Idah out for the season

That was shocking news. Like many others, I think we have been better with two up front. Sure we have others who can play up there Tzolis, Rashica, Sargent etc. However, they are very different players to Idah. The partnership in front requires bit different kind of players, and I'd think that Pukki would be best suited with big striker who can also act as target. 

We soon need to revive the old debate about playing players in wrong positions and try Byram in our forward pairing 😉
In a way, I'm expecting to see Sargent pairing up with Pukki though, as of our current options he seems closest to Idah.

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I think so.... Can't see where the ghouls will come from now.  Lots of 0-0's I suspect.

I think this puts any chance of us staying up firmly in the shade.

Rashica and Sargent will have to chip in with more goals, simple as that

Personally, I dont believe the 4-4-2 would have been sustainable for too long anyway. It was probably only a matter of time before we reverted back to a midfield 3 , perhaps after a bad defeat to a team other than Man City or Liverpool who carved us open in midfield

Smith would have had an awkward enough selection in selecting 2 from 4 in Normann McLean Lees-Melou and Gilmour.  3 from 4 makes that easier

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I believe Hugill and Hernandez have a no recall clause, so that is that, we go with what we have.  

It has got nothing to do with whether we can recall them, we are unable to register them in our Premier League squad regardless as its past the registration deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I make that as Pukki then as our only recognised striker, with Sargent, Rashica and Rowe filling in as necessary.

Hugill, Drmic and Soto officially on the roster but not at the club and other youth products also on loan.

All the burden back on poor Pukki. Realistically I think we're looking at Sargent if Pukki gets crocked

23 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It has got nothing to do with whether we can recall them, we are unable to register them in our Premier League squad regardless as its past the registration deadline. 

Can only recall them in January surely anyway! And don’t think we could recall Hernandez immediately after loaning him out again either way

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

God knows what happens now if Pukki, Rashica or Sargent get injured! Will we have to play 4 CMs and go full 2006 England? 

Or do a Darrel Russell as in the Roeder days?

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Can only recall them in January surely anyway! And don’t think we could recall Hernandez immediately after loaning him out again either way

Also I believe we're back to the rule where a player can only play for two teams in a season, meaning Onel and Hugill both couldn't appear for us having played for two different loan teams.

So a whole host of reasons why recalling them isn't 'simple as that' as one poster suggested...

Just now, king canary said:

Also I believe we're back to the rule where a player can only play for two teams in a season, meaning Onel and Hugill both couldn't appear for us having played for two different loan teams.

So a whole host of reasons why recalling them isn't 'simple as that' as one poster suggested...

I think the issue is whether in January we should have recalled them when the decision was made to terminate their loans rather than finding them another one. We cant recall them now, that ship has sailed

29 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Plus their current clubs are unlikely to have taken them in the first place if they thought there was a risk of being recalled.

2 hours ago, WD40 said:

Three strikers that have all been on the pitch at the same time in recent games when fit! That’s exactly 0 reserve strikers in case of injury, and what’s happened. It isn’t the same as the 5 CB argument, which will also end it tears. 

Again, hindsight. I agree there’s a case to be made for building in some flexibility, but when we started the season with Farke in charge, the chances of us playing 3 upfront must have been slim to none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Personally, I dont believe the 4-4-2 would have been sustainable for too long anyway. It was probably only a matter of time before we reverted back to a midfield 3 , perhaps after a bad defeat to a team other than Man City or Liverpool who carved us open in midfield

I think this is right. The Palace game showed the advantages and disadvantages of the two up front system. Not sure how long we could sustain it before teams work it out. 

That's not to say Idah's injury is not a blow, but now Normann is back I suspect we might have gone back to 433 anyway, with Sargent on the right and Idah on the bench.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

38 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

We could always play Sargent as a striker, move Rashica to the right flank and give Tzolis his chance on the left. On paper it looks ok

even better if we'd not sent Cantwell out on loan too.

5 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

If not, the spectre of relegation looms. 

Like others I’m not a fan, Tom, of this prospect. 

If I may call you Tom for the purposes of this puny post

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Again, hindsight. I agree there’s a case to be made for building in some flexibility, but when we started the season with Farke in charge, the chances of us playing 3 upfront must have been slim to none.

On the part of Webber sure. Some of us on here could see it a mile off. 

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Kabak up front Gary Doherty style

Maybe Chris Sutton style, didn’t he start as Centre half ?

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

We could always play Sargent as a striker, move Rashica to the right flank and give Tzolis his chance on the left. On paper it looks ok

dunno on what paper that looks OK but deffo not prem paper!

3 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Kabak up front Gary Doherty style

Remember, Kabak is pencilled in for CDM! 😉

Shame for the lad. But agree with Robert, I wouldn’t start with Idah, opportunity knocks for others. Rowe isn’t a striker but an attacking player. Not keen on the disrespect for Onel, a really decent player, but that’s the past. Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, corbs said:

Shame for the lad. But agree with Robert, I wouldn’t start with Idah, opportunity knocks for others. Rowe isn’t a striker but an attacking player. Not keen on the disrespect for Onel, a really decent player, but that’s the past. Onwards and upwards. 

'That's the past'

He's coming home.

h56verbt2wt61.jpg?auto=webp&s=7522798f60

• Haha 1