Sign in to follow this  
NorthCarolinaYellow

Cantwell's 6 PL Goals

I'm bored ... let's review these:

#1 v. Chelsea: Great move by Buendia to make the play ... nice, quick pass to Cantwell and then to Pukki ... Pukki nicely slides it in ... Cantwell makes a good but obvious run and taps it in luckily through the keeper's legs  ... Cantwell celebrates like he's scored the winning goal for England in a World Cup final.

#2 v. City: Great moves by both Buendia and Stiepermann to set Pukki free ... great driving run from Pukki ... woeful marking by the City CBs leaves Cantwell totally along ... lovely and unselfish pass to set up it for Cantwell on a platter who easily slots it in ... some sort of weird surfing celebration.

#3 v. Everton: Lovely ball from Zimmerman and then smart header from McLean sets up Pukki ... Pukki doggedly keeps possession and has just enough to tap it to Cantwell ... admittedly quick and efficient driving run forward from Cantwell who slots in in the side easily ... the surfing celebration is somehow even more confused/weird.

#4 v. Arsenal: Great driving run and pass from McLean to Hernandez ... quick and purposeful run into the box from Hernandez who stops and cuts it back to a waiting Cantwell ... quick, tidy, and very clean shot across the goal into the side ... I give up now on trying to figure out what the f*ck the celebration is.

#5 v. Wolves: Easy but effective pass across the field to McLean who drives forward and passes into the box ... somehow the ball slips through hits the foot of the Wolves CB who essentially passes it right to a waiting Cantwell before falling the f*ck over ... Cantwell cleanly smashes it away with basically nobody but the GK in front of him.

#6 v. Palace: F*ck up from Palace MF and gritty Pukki header sets up the attack ... Cantwell, McLean, Vrancic, and Buendia all bounce the ball around stalling momentum ... Buendia finally says "F*ck it I'm Emi Buendia" and drives into the box ... ball pinballs right to Cantwell's feet and he slots it home easily.

Okay look ... there's an awful lot of (a) my teammates did most of the work here and (b) right place and right time in those goals. I'll give the lad credit for having a quick, clean, and efficient strike of the ball and being a tidy and graceful player to watch. There's definitely talent there. But that goal return likely flatters Cantwell a bit?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

I'm bored ... let's review these:

#1 v. Chelsea: Great move by Buendia to make the play ... nice, quick pass to Cantwell and then to Pukki ... Pukki nicely slides it in ... Cantwell makes a good but obvious run and taps it in luckily through the keeper's legs  ... Cantwell celebrates like he's scored the winning goal for England in a World Cup final.

#2 v. City: Great moves by both Buendia and Stiepermann to set Pukki free ... great driving run from Pukki ... woeful marking by the City CBs leaves Cantwell totally along ... lovely and unselfish pass to set up it for Cantwell on a platter who easily slots it in ... some sort of weird surfing celebration.

#3 v. Everton: Lovely ball from Zimmerman and then smart header from McLean sets up Pukki ... Pukki doggedly keeps possession and has just enough to tap it to Cantwell ... admittedly quick and efficient driving run forward from Cantwell who slots in in the side easily ... the surfing celebration is somehow even more confused/weird.

#4 v. Arsenal: Great driving run and pass from McLean to Hernandez ... quick and purposeful run into the box from Hernandez who stops and cuts it back to a waiting Cantwell ... quick, tidy, and very clean shot across the goal into the side ... I give up now on trying to figure out what the f*ck the celebration is.

#5 v. Wolves: Easy but effective pass across the field to McLean who drives forward and passes into the box ... somehow the ball slips through hits the foot of the Wolves CB who essentially passes it right to a waiting Cantwell before falling the f*ck over ... Cantwell cleanly smashes it away with basically nobody but the GK in front of him.

#6 v. Palace: F*ck up from Palace MF and gritty Pukki header sets up the attack ... Cantwell, McLean, Vrancic, and Buendia all bounce the ball around stalling momentum ... Buendia finally says "F*ck it I'm Emi Buendia" and drives into the box ... ball pinballs right to Cantwell's feet and he slots it home easily.

Okay look ... there's an awful lot of (a) my teammates did most of the work here and (b) right place and right time in those goals. I'll give the lad credit for having a quick, clean, and efficient strike of the ball and being a tidy and graceful player to watch. There's definitely talent there. But that goal return likely flatters Cantwell a bit?

Does his top bins penelty against Spurs in the cup count?

Although I'll say the space needs to be found and the ball hit, this is something I felt at the time. Only Arsenal and Everton really show top-level talent and the others you'd expect most professional footballers to tap home- no assists that season too, if I recall.

Now he's off down south, it'll be interesting to see if he can do it at Championship level without Buendia (who I think benefitted him as much as Pukki)

This is obviously a really important thread (not least the reviews on how he celebrated his goals) so you'll be glad to know that the main thrust of the argument is in no way undermined by the fact that he outscored every other member of the squad, Pukki aside, by a factor of 6.

• Like 2

Tell me you don't understand football without telling me you don't understand football.

Being able to read the game at the top level, be in the right place at the right time, making the right runs and avoiding attention of defenders / getting there before Premier League defenders is essentially one of the most prized assets in football and what has been the basis for some of the worlds best players.

There's enough weaknesses in some of Todd's play to not try and die on the hill of "Yeah he scored goals but they weren't good enough"

• Like 8

Don't think you can knock any of those goals. All good team goals, but you have to be there to put them away and he showed he could do that...and the penalty against Spurs too, not to mention the cup goal v Man Utd.   Later in the season he was less effective and Farke even mentioned about players stepping up and taking more responsibility, but for these six goals we were all - at the time - incrediby pleased about them. 

• Like 1

Is this post for real. Why do people have to try to imply Cantwell isn’t very good? He is quality. It’s such a shame how things have panned out for reasons I’m sure pretty much none of know, but he is a serious player so give the lad credit for that at least.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Although I'll say the space needs to be found and the ball hit, this is something I felt at the time. Only Arsenal and Everton really show top-level talent and the others you'd expect most professional footballers to tap home- no assists that season too, if I recall.

Now he's off down south, it'll be interesting to see if he can do it at Championship level without Buendia (who I think benefitted him as much as Pukki)

You recall incorrectly - he had two assists for Pukki in the Newcastle game. 

Debate! I love it!! 🤣

Look ... all I'm saying is that perhaps that return flatters his true skill/level a bit. And, at least vis-a-vis his ego, the nature of those goals should be considered when valuing him in the short- and long-term. He is nowhere near the level of a Buendia or Pukki in my opinion (but I think he thinks he is).

I've been fairly consistent in praising him in the main. But, yes, I WILL be f*cking salty about his damn ego getting in the way of him performing in the PL for us this season AND us losing out on £10+ million! 😜

5 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Is this post for real. Why do people have to try to imply Cantwell isn’t very good? He is quality. It’s such a shame how things have panned out for reasons I’m sure pretty much none of know, but he is a serious player so give the lad credit for that at least.

I do agree with your point. However, I slightly get what the post is saying and it’s a question I have  too. Does he ‘look’ better than his actual contributions to the team? When he slides a pass it is very elegant but in hard tax is he essential to success as say Buendia, Pukki, Skipp we’re?

It is universally accepted that he had a great season. I think he had lots of lovely moments but…,

He scored 6 in 30 starts, Dowell scored 5 in 10. Where is Dowells recognition? 3 of those goals didn’t contribute to points. He played 14 less starts than Skipp, 10 less than Buendia and 9 less than Pukki.

I’m not saying that a fully firing Cantwell isn’t an asset to the first 11, what I’m saying is if we had to lose one of Skipp, Buendia, Cantwell or Pukki to season long injury last year (and thus not participate) only one in my mind leads to us still getting automatic, and that’s Cantwell.

I think talk of him being as valuable as Buendia isn’t based on reality, they aren’t on the same level.

I don't think we should take that season off him or in any way say that he didn't deserve the 6 goals.

But history is littered with players who have had a good year in the Premier League before proceeding to play most of their career in lower ranked leagues,

Berahinho is one.

Pilkington scored 8 goals and 6 goals in his only two full seasons in the Premier League.

Even DJ Campbell reached double figures.

He can't dine out on having a decent season forever, he should he judged on the season he's having this season and it has been frankly atrocious, I hope he does OK at Bournemouth for all concerned (but mainly for us, so we can try and claw a fee for him in the summer).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Buendia finally says "F*ck it I'm Emi Buendia" and drives into the box 

lol

Many others have pointed out that scoring a tap in is harder than just tapping it in. But I do agree that his goal scoring exploits, nice hair and celebrations lead some to overrate him, especially opposition fans who would only watch highlights. I mean there were a lot of people thinking he was better than Buendia which was nonesense then and even moe so now.

But he is also a brilliant dribbler and will be a big miss.

Edited by shruk4
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

If anything his play in the Championship last season was much better—as you would expect given the level and extra year of progression:

Watching these goals/assists makes this season's lack of anything even more mystifying. This should have been his season to shine after he showed some good signs in the last PL season and then stepping up more last season - it was his chance to prove himself at the top level.

• Like 1

Did you just use an example of a player scoring 6 premiership goals including against Chelsea and Man City as a stick to beat them with? Seriously, do you know anything about football?

51 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Did you just use an example of a player scoring 6 premiership goals including against Chelsea and Man City as a stick to beat them with? Seriously, do you know anything about football?

They were tap-ins, mate. Anybody could do that. I once saw Big Trev from the Greyhound smash a 30 yarder in off the stantion while still half cut from the night before. That takes skill. All this Cantwell fella's got is girl's hair and a suspicious taste in goal celebrations. Well overrated, pal.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think we should take that season off him or in any way say that he didn't deserve the 6 goals.

But history is littered with players who have had a good year in the Premier League before proceeding to play most of their career in lower ranked leagues,

Berahinho is one.

Pilkington scored 8 goals and 6 goals in his only two full seasons in the Premier League.

Even DJ Campbell reached double figures.

He can't dine out on having a decent season forever, he should he judged on the season he's having this season and it has been frankly atrocious, I hope he does OK at Bournemouth for all concerned (but mainly for us, so we can try and claw a fee for him in the summer).

Interesting point Re. Cantrell here, however I'd love to jump on this post and start a sub-thread for this post!

Best one or two season wonders for ncfc (not ones who have literally been briefly on loan for six month and had to return, or only been here for a season and then sold re maddison. Literally Id like to dig out the ones who were average before, had a good patch for a season or two, then back to average!

Same for strikers in the PL or champ for any side! DJ Campbell was a great shout!

Hope this is okay lads! Just a bit of fun!

20 minutes ago, kirku said:

They were tap-ins, mate. Anybody could do that. I once saw Big Trev from the Greyhound smash a 30 yarder in off the stantion while still half cut from the night before. That takes skill. All this Cantwell fella's got is girl's hair and a suspicious taste in goal celebrations. Well overrated, pal.

Ah, since you put it like that, I don’t know how I didn’t agree with the OP sooner!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

I've seen some daft threads on this forum. But this one really made me chuckle.

As soon as I read this sentence for the first goal I knew I was in for a treat. I love how every bit of credit offered to him is then immediately taken away in the same breath ‘Cantwell makes a good (but obvious) run and then taps it in (luckily) through the keepers legs’

It’s the total lack of an attempt to hide the underlying hatred of him…

5 hours ago, WD40 said:

I absolutely love the saltiness of this post 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

There’ll be some vinegar added here soon…..

• Haha 1

I'm beginning to wonder if refereeing has changed recently. It strikes me that this season we would have been flattened in the build-up to those goals. This would particularly affect Todd, not being the most physical of players, & explain why he seemed to spend a lot of his time this season on his backside & complaining to the referee.

Quite amusing this thread. The art of being a good goalscorer is often to be in the right place at the right time. In the PL, Tim Cahill, Javier Hernandez and Gabriel Jesus have 154 goals between them all scored inside the 18 yard box. I don't think you'd be saying they just let their teammates do all the work and were just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time 154 times, would you?

it's a funny one because the year before that 6 goal season I think he registered just 1 goal and 2 assists and was really unlucky not to register more because Pukki fluffed a bunch of clear cut chances set up for him.

I have never been completely convinced by him mainly because we have been relatively spoilt for creative midfielders recently in Wes, Maddison and Emi. I just never saw Cantwell as anywhere near them. I did appreciate when he stepped in for a suspended Emi that season when we drew 3 in a row but that was mainly for his application and hard work rather than particularly his ability.

It appears now he has lost his drive and focus that took him from not being wanted on loan by a single league 2 club to being the £40m linked with Liverpool player he was in summer. In reality he's somewhere in between that and I think he's coped with the pressure and added responsibility terribly. That's not necessarily him having a bad attitude but it shows he's somewhat lacking the mental attributes to step his game up at the elite level.

He really hasn't been helped with our shift in style, first to Farkes more pragmatic approach where the no. 10 was basically canned for an extra centre mid and then for Deanos 4-2-4 where we go far too direct for Todd to be of much use compared to Rashica who runs with the ball and Sargent who acts as a wide target man.

I feel like if he's going to make it in the prem he needs to look at someone like Maddison who has basically become more of a no. 8 and works in an industrious midfield 3 when required or he needs to be more like Emi and start adding more pace and/or directness to his game as an inside forward. If he can't then upper tier championship is his ceiling like Pritchard or Josh Murphy. A traditional No. 10 is a bit of a dying breed at the elite level now as the likes of Ozil have found out.

I think it's a huge shame we didn't manage to sell him while his stock was high or retrain him to suit a more pragmatic system. I guess we'll see what he can produce at Bournemouth but I highly suspect he'll be back here in summer with us struggling to shift him for decent money.

So from the original post and saying he owes a lot to his team mates, does that equally apply to the likes of Pukki for his goals too? 

or is it just another way to bash Cantwell?

The latter I suspect.