Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Will McLean Play?

We know the manager inexplicably likes Kenny McLean but after a 100% win ratio in games where he is unavailable will he be brought straight back in? I think probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out and I reckon he will be back in as soon as it is justified to put him in again, ie. if we lose tonight. 

16 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

We know the manager inexplicably likes Kenny McLean but after a 100% win ratio in games where he is unavailable will he be brought straight back in? I think probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out and I reckon he will be back in as soon as it is justified to put him in again, ie. if we lose tonight. 

Don't know if this is a misguided attempt at humour or if you are trying to achieve Cambridge like levels of inaccuracy. McLean played from the start in our victories over Brentford and Southampton and we have lost games in which he has been unavailable such as Liverpool at home and Man City away. 

Much more comfortable having him available otherwise we were an injury away from playing someone very pedestrian like Dowell or Cantwell in CM. I'd imagine he'll feature but it would be unfair to cut PLM and Sorenson, so I guess it will be as a sub. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Don't know if this is a misguided attempt at humour or if you are trying to achieve Cambridge like levels of inaccuracy. McLean played from the start in our victories over Brentford and Southampton and we have lost games in which he has been unavailable such as Liverpool at home and Man City away. 

He was on the bench for both those games. Hence he was available.

I believe Smith said the 442 was only a result of lack of players to choose from so it will likely be back to something more familar and I reckon McLean will be back in.

If McLean's name is in the starting lineup the flickering flame of optimism created by the Everton game will be firmly extinguished before a ball is even kicked. As will my newfound but increasing faith in Dean Smith.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He was on the bench for both those games. Hence he was available.

You are Boris Johnson and I claim my £5. 

• Haha 1

Considering Sorensen and PLM probably put in their best midfield performances last week, and McLean has been **** poor for weeks, then absolutely no he should not play. I will be surprised and disappointed if there are any unforced changes from last week to be honest. 

Kenny is an excellent championship player but has been unimpressive this season;   nowhere near a motm performance all season and rarely even the best midfielder in an underperforming area of the pitch.  Normann & Rupp have been the best option in that area so far.

Absolutely he gives us his all each game,  but that isnt enough. I would be very disappointed if PLM or Lungi made way for him this evening,  both performed better v Everton than any Kenny performance this year.

• Like 1

Don't change the middle of the park. If there is a change to be made, I'd suggest Byram for Aarons (extra height in defence). Otherwise, apart from Gunn for Krul, I'd be reluctant to change much. Kenny can come off the bench if Lees-Melou is tiring. Sörensen will have the gas for 90 as he's not one for wandering too far away from his position.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

I believe Smith said the 442 was only a result of lack of players to choose from so it will likely be back to something more familar and I reckon McLean will be back in.

Watford are likely to dominate the midfield so I believe the Mayor will be brought back in possibly at the expense of Rashica. 

Guaranteed to start in every game he's available regardless of performance it seems so I'll be very surprised if he's not in the starting XI. He's a solid Championship midfielder whose energy and work rate at least can't be questioned, but he very clearly doesn't have anywhere near the level of talent required in the top flight, hence why he's looked abysmal pretty much all season. Effort and team spirit will win you games at lower levels but mean comparatively little on the money-drenched pitches of the Premier League, something the club seems unable to get their head around despite multiple seasons of evidence.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Classic statement of 'why change a winning team' here

Tend to agree. The standard of the opposition certainly doesn't necessitate a change and you wouldn't bring Kenny in for his physicality.

Depends if we're 'brave' (or potentially stupid) enough to just play the two in midfield against Watford, away from home. If it's a two, then PLM & Sorensen deserve to remain the two. If we switch to three in midfield then yes of course, Kenny comes back in.

• Like 1

If you watch City and pick out one player and watch him for say,15 or 20 minutes,you get an idea of the input they have in a game. Have done this with McClean a few times this season and have seen how the game just seems to pass him by with him having no real effect on the performance. Nothing against the fella,but I fail to see just what he brings to the table.

54 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

If you watch City and pick out one player and watch him for say,15 or 20 minutes,you get an idea of the input they have in a game. Have done this with McClean a few times this season and have seen how the game just seems to pass him by with him having no real effect on the performance. Nothing against the fella,but I fail to see just what he brings to the table.

Normally brings another defeat to the table. 

Last minute substitution  to wind the clock down . 4 minutes extra time. 1-2 NCFC.

Isn't it amazing how so many non professional football forum contributors can have an opinion which is so very different from professional football managers? I'm no great Kenny lover but I can accept that he must be doing something right if both our last two managers have picked him so often. I am prepared to support him when he plays and accept the judgement of two respected managers. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Isn't it amazing how so many non professional football forum contributors can have an opinion which is so very different from professional football managers?

Not really, it's been happening since people starting kicking a football for a living. And whisper it, but quite often the professional football managers have got it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, I think Farke would keep the same team, he tended to do that, especially if younger players were getting their lead.

23 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Not really, it's been happening since people starting kicking a football for a living. And whisper it, but quite often the professional football managers have got it wrong.

No need to whisper it 

But if you're claiming farke, Smith, and Clarke, are all wrong on McLean, then I'm afraid your an absolute moron. 

37 minutes ago, fredherring said:

No need to whisper it 

But if you're claiming farke, Smith, and Clarke, are all wrong on McLean, then I'm afraid your an absolute moron. 

It's you're 🥱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

Isn't it amazing how so many non professional football forum contributors can have an opinion which is so very different from professional football managers? I'm no great Kenny lover but I can accept that he must be doing something right if both our last two managers have picked him so often. I am prepared to support him when he plays and accept the judgement of two respected managers. 

Benefits to Mclean- He knows the team, he knows the system, he knows the players, is one of our 'veteran' players, he gets on well with players, staff and managers, is always running and never out of energy

Cons to Mclean- He's just not cut out for the top flight and can often turn invisibile

Edited by cambridgeshire canary