Sign in to follow this  
Deptford Yellow

What exactly is a ‘quarterback’ ?

I keep hearing this term eg ‘Normann is more of a ‘quarterback’ and despite liking to think I know me football - I’m not sure I know what it means exactly…

Can anybody enlighten me ?

I would guess a deep-lying playmaker, which is meant to take the ball off the defence and get things going. A straight out defensive midfielder will simply shield the defence and close down. They won’t move very far away from the back four and be pretty disciplined. Playmakers will have a bit more freedom to give and go.

Assume it's referring to him spraying passes around like a American football quarterback does, rather than being a tackling style defensive midfielder. So essentially more of a Pirlo than a Kante

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

what-are-the-qualities-of-an-elite-nfl-q

Normann's a number 9, then?  That doesn't make much sense, you sure?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I keep hearing this term eg ‘Normann is more of a ‘quarterback’ and despite liking to think I know me football - I’m not sure I know what it means exactly…

I guess it's about half the size of a half-back ...............

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

I guess it's about half the size of a half-back ...............

And a quarter of the size of a full-back….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I would guess the man to feed Pukki on a through ball and run on to goal from midfield.

3 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Have you?   When you heard of the term Norman is a Quarter back?

If he's a quarterback then he's a dual threat quarterback.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-threat_quarterback

Although he's not really. He's an all action, box to box player. I assume your mates have just seen him ping a pass and don't really know what they're on about. Could his style be tempered into that QB to fit a system? Yes but it would be a waste of the best part of his game.

If any of our players fit the QB archetype it's probably Gilmour. He's just not a very good one because he fumbles when rushed all too often.

7 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

If any of our players fit the QB archetype it's probably Gilmour. He's just not a very good one because he fumbles when rushed all too often.

But hasn't  been sacked yet.

7 hours ago, mastoola said:

Have you?   When you heard of the term Norman is a Quarter back?

On the ‘PinkUn app’ … in a new column/piece called ‘the analyst’ …

11 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Normann's a number 9, then?  That doesn't make much sense, you sure?

He should have used an image of one of the all-time great quarterbacks instead...

gettyimages-985087970-1548440658.jpg

Edited by canarydan23

All this time we’ve been playing the ball with our feet and head, when we could have been picking it up and throwing it? What is the club coming to? We need new owners. Webber out or get it sorted. 

Using the term "quarterback" is a way of helping our American friends (who let's be honest, most of who know very little about football) feel a bit more at home when trying to understand football....sorry, I mean soccer.....   🇺🇸🍔🥯😀

😉

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Using the term "quarterback" is a way of helping our American friends (who let's be honest, most of who know very little about football) feel a bit more at home when trying to understand football....sorry, I mean soccer.....   🇺🇸🍔🥯😀

😉

Same applies to Ipswich fans, right? 😉

Michael Bailey used to use the term in his Pinkun video reports sometimes too…

Having no knowledge of ‘American football’ I was unclear but assumed because of the American football association that it must mean somebody defensive - as well as having those other capabilities people have listed here…

Gilmour as we know certainly ain’t defensive, he reminds me a lot of Leitner in fact, but of course he has no Tethry equivalent alongside him…

Could that be Normann? Personally I’d prefer to see Normann further up the pitch …

Until the role of Quarterback features in the Football Manager games it doesn’t officially exist and anyone who uses it is just making themselves look like a pretentious ** 🤣🤣🤣

England tried Beckham in a "quarterback" role for a game but it didn't work out all that well. At least he had the right range of passing and technical ability to pull it off. 

Normann, great player for us (when fit) but he's not exactly the next coming of Andrea Pirlo, now is he?

Its a stupid term. Because I would imagine even the best midfield generals as they were called probably passed it back or laterally more than forward.

Buendia suited the term more because he was the decision maker. Whether to run with it, pass it etc.

19 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

A quarterback is the player who carries out the offensive attack, distributing the ball according to the game plan of the coach or manager.

Interestingly, if looking around the web for the explanation for it in "soccer", you'll only really find one explanation...

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/jerome-boateng-soccer-quarterback-bayern-munich-516173.jsp

Make of that what you will. Not really a recognised Footy term though. So I'd hardly bother trying to make sense of it. Just an attempt to create yet another term to excite and bamboozle readers with.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

Half Scrum Half Quarter? 

In NZ, in rugby, the fly half is called first five eighth and inside centre is called second five eighth