Listening to the 5-live commentary and the main commentator has called him on more than one occasion Pierre LESS Melou. A Freudian slip or an honest assessment of our Frenchman?

• Haha 1

Completely anonymous. Makes Kenny McLean look like an average Prem midfielder. The worst of our summer signings, which is really saying something. So slow it makes me pine for Alex Tettey to inject some pace into the midfield.

Pierre Lees Melou, where are you... Pierre Lees Melou where are you?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Completely anonymous. Makes Kenny McLean look like an average Prem midfielder. The worst of our summer signings, which is really saying something. So slow it makes me pine for Alex Tettey to inject some pace into the midfield.

Pierre Lees Melou, where are you... Pierre Lees Melou where are you?

To the Scooby Doo theme?

He's the signing that's disappointed me the most so far, simply as when looking at his age and experience, he seemed the most likely to solve a weakness of ours and hit the ground running, but he hasn't.

• Like 1

Can't cover the ground enough, looked completely gone from 65minutes. 

Atleast Mclean has a decent engine on him. 

Looked quality in pre-season, but was never able to get anywhere near the West Ham midfield tonight. Always seemed to be half a yard off the pace.

Honestly, seems like Vrancic without the attacking ability at the moment.

• Like 1

It's a common theme with Webber signings. Player who are only capable of playing pass and move who have no pace or physicality, can't run with the ball, can't win headers, doesn't shoot, doesn't tackle just floats about wanting to tippy tappy the ball about. 

It's truly shocking that after the lesson he should have learned in 19/20 that Webber is still signing players like this

11 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

It's a common theme with Webber signings. Player who are only capable of playing pass and move who have no pace or physicality, can't run with the ball, can't win headers, doesn't shoot, doesn't tackle just floats about wanting to tippy tappy the ball about. 

It's truly shocking that after the lesson he should have learned in 19/20 that Webber is still signing players like this

The dangers of making data analysis and potential resale value such a central part of our recruitment strategy IMHO.

• Like 1

Tonight I thought he was significantly better than McLean.  He slows the play down, and goes backwards more than I wanted him to, but didn't seem to lose the ball that often, and even broken up several West Ham breaks.  Anyone who thought he was awful is just looking for a scapegoat, or I got McLean and PLM mixed up a lot.  He was not great, he definitely was not our worst player.

• Like 7

He can string 1 or 2 short passes together but if he's trusted with anything more then we lose the ball and the other team counter.

He lost the ball a few times tonight when he didn't appear to be under any pressure.

He must be doing something special in training to be turning out every week. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Spindle.

At least he was cheap. Curious signing tbh.

Another that, on paper, looked a decent proposition with some added height and physicality about him to replace Marco. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out, like virtually all our summer signings. Ironically looked very good in pre season but now like most of our squad has had any ounce of confidence evaporated

1 minute ago, AJ said:

height and physicality

The height I see but the physicality worried me from the off. 

He has the appearance of a crane fly trying to kick a ball around.

• Haha 1

Can you blame him? We only had 2 that were outnumbered and unsupported in the middle of the park the whole game

Just now, Ash.m87 said:

Can you blame him? We only had 2 that were outnumbered and unsupported in the middle of the park the whole game

Unlike any of the past 19 games this season, it's almost like we lacked a defensive midfielder 😅

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I want him to do well, but he just isn’t good enough at this level

Not sure I agree on PLM but will say there are others who are not good enough in the PL.  If Cantwell collects a pay check he does not deserve it.

Actually I think we have seen ability in flashes and cameos. I just think the guy is struggling with the speed and intensity of the premier league. Whether he can get to the required intensity is probably open for debate. Like a lot of the signing he is someone who next season might look like a good signing.

8 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

The height I see but the physicality worried me from the off. 

He has the appearance of a crane fly trying to kick a ball around.

Yes, the moment i saw him it was obvious he wasn’t what we needed. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CowboyCanary said:

Not sure I agree on PLM but will say there are others who are not good enough in the PL.  If Cantwell collects a pay check he does not deserve it.

That’s up to you. Which game was it that made you decide he is premier league quality?

Nah mate. I think most fans have a skewed view of players - it's fair to say that PLM maybe hasn't had a run of games, but like everyone else, he has to earn it. We need to judge players across the good and bad games they play, and focus on what they can produce most consistently even if not at their best. Like, Pukki even at his poorest games never gives up making runs for a good through-ball. PLM in preseason had range of passing and timing runs into the opponent's box, but since then I haven't seen it.

There’s a player there but haven’t seen it for over a month 

there was a game earlier this season where me and my co-watcher in the Barclay both wondered what blade of grass PLM didn’t touch 

didn’t see that last night 

I remember when we signed him a French league expert said he wouldn’t be one to start many games in the prem but has a great attitude and work ethic and could prove a really useful squad member.

it seems like that guy knew exactly what he was talking about. I can imagine that if you just need someone to come on for twenty minutes to be calm and move the ball around he’d be perfectly good enough… much how Vrancic ended up being used, not as good a player but could do that calm passing role for a bit when things are going well.

• Like 1