Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Zimmerman and Rupp..

I'm not sure Zimmerman will play for us again- not because Smith won't want him but he seems to be eternally injured at this point and must be 5th choice central defender even if he does get fit.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How do we think they are feeling?

I would imagine they are looking forward to new ideas and a new approach

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I would imagine they are looking forward to new ideas and a new approach

Looking forward to a move to Paderborn?🤔

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I don’t understand why they’d be feeling too different to anyone else, because they’re all German do you mean?

Neither player has featured at all recently, Zimmerman has not had a proper run of games for what like 2-3 years, Rupp a handful of Tim’s this season. What exactly are they meant to be feeling?

I know Zim has the connection with Farke for Dortmund reserves, so you’d think a good relationship between them, but why Rupp too?

McLean is the probably the one who should feel the most gutted….

Got to feel a bit for Zimbo.  Key member of the promotion team in 18/19.  Gets back in the team and is stamped on by West Ham forward as he is kicking the ball and is out again for months and never really got back in the flow.  At his best a terrific defender full of desire and leadership and if he can get fit, could still have something to offer - he's only 28 after all -  but main thing is he gets fully fit and then see where it takes him.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How do we think they are feeling?

More to the point Kenny McLean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Got to feel a bit for Zimbo.  Key member of the promotion team in 18/19.  Gets back in the team and is stamped on by West Ham forward as he is kicking the ball and is out again for months and never really got back in the flow.  At his best a terrific defender full of desire and leadership and if he can get fit, could still have something to offer - he's only 28 after all -  but main thing is he gets fully fit and then see where it takes him.

I've seen milk turn quicker

• Haha 2

Zimmermann to me is a symbol of how far we've come in four years. Probably our first-choice CB a couple of years ago, now our fifth.

Obviously there's a lot wrong at the club at the moment, but there's a lot right too and now in particular is a good time to remember that.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 3

There may be some surprises for supporters with Dean Smith's assessments of players.

Perhaps supporters don't know best after all.

• Like 3

Feel sorry for Zimmermann though, he always came across in his interviews as a very level headed and down to earth guy who was living his dream as being a footballer. Always seemed like a really great guy. Playing at the semi-pro level for Dortmund reserves in the fourth tier, he was on the verge of quitting to become a teacher, before the Norwich move came up.

Never the same after that Haller tackle and it was downhill from there.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Another example of VAR absolutely screwing us that season.  A reckless challenge which was so blindingly obviously a red card, and guess what because Zimmermann has been hobbled he can't defend for the goal which said West Ham player (Haller) scores about a minute later.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Move Klose said:

I've seen milk turn quicker

But even Zimmermann on one leg is quicker than Kabak.

Both has decent times with us and helped get us where we are, but both just not good enough IMO at this level, good squad players but if we can afford to buy upgrades then I’d be happy to see both go. While we have Kabak & Normann on loan we might need them both next season if we go down.

CZ will never play for us again and probably wouldn’t have even if Farke had stayed 

Rupp is a good professional who is underrated and will work hard to regain his place in team, as I have said on a different thread, McLean will be an interesting one. Can’t fault his work rate in midfield but will be interesting to see how and if DS will get the best out of him, I see him similar to John McGinn, McGinn isn’t a great player but smith got the best out of him, McLean could be similar 

6 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure Zimmerman will play for us again- not because Smith won't want him but he seems to be eternally injured at this point and must be 5th choice central defender even if he does get fit.

It's a real shame, before his injury, especially in the promotion season, he was immense. No slouch, though not the fastest. He's never got a run of games since, like you say, being injured or not being injured but finding a fully fit Gibson and Hanley ahead of him. Just goes to show, one tackle, one horrible tackle can have a huge impact on a career. 

24 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

CZ will never play for us again and probably wouldn’t have even if Farke had stayed 

Rupp is a good professional who is underrated and will work hard to regain his place in team, as I have said on a different thread, McLean will be an interesting one. Can’t fault his work rate in midfield but will be interesting to see how and if DS will get the best out of him, I see him similar to John McGinn, McGinn isn’t a great player but smith got the best out of him, McLean could be similar 

I dunno, McGinn's range of passing is pretty decent. McLean, in that department, is inconsistent. We have seen him hit sublime long balls, and then mess up short, simple passes. 

On another note why do certain members of our fan base do this? 

a new manager comes in, it’s a clean slate for everyone, not the opportunity to slate the players YET again 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

There may be some surprises for supporters with Dean Smith's assessments of players.

Perhaps supporters don't know best after all.

No perhaps about it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

Another example of VAR absolutely screwing us that season.  A reckless challenge which was so blindingly obviously a red card, and guess what because Zimmermann has been hobbled he can't defend for the goal which said West Ham player (Haller) scores about a minute later.

Yep, a prime example of the horrible, negative and cynical cheating that passes as football in the Premiership - not that there are any shortage of those.

I could see Zimmerman following Farke where he ends up next but thats assuming he can get over his injury issued

I think Rupp will be OK, and is maybe one of those players managers love and trust but fans can never understand why.

I just think Zimmermann should be grateful he has a contract which guarantees him footballer wages until June 2023.

Has looked well and truly shot to pieces since being put in that West Ham game heavily strapped up and then crocked by Hallier.

I do wonder whether the club has done right for him there though, sticking him in that game so clearly injured, 

6 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I could see Zimmerman following Farke where he ends up next

No chance... Farke will get Bundesliga or a top Bundesliga 2 club in the promotion mix.

Zimmermann is shot to pieces, 

We’ve outgrown Zimmerman but I still think he’s worth having around as backup for now, Rupp is still first team material, he works hard so will be a player I’m sure Smith will like 

We'll always remember that tackle he did with his head though - Zimmerman is better than we perhaps give him credit for. On his day, he is a very very good Championship defender.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 13:16, lake district canary said:

I think I rate Zimbo more than many. Id say he's better that a number of CB's who played Premier League football for us

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AJ said:

We’ve outgrown Zimmerman but I still think he’s worth having around as backup for now, Rupp is still first team material, he works hard so will be a player I’m sure Smith will like 

Id like to see Rupp at right back, Elliott Bennett style. Seems to suit his attributes as he doesnt seem to have the attacking ability for this level