Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

If there is no announcement today then starting to worry

17 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Frank's backroom staff being sorted out over the weekend and an announcement on Mondasy.

I don't believe you'd say this unless you knew so i'm now assuming my 18/1 punt on Knutsen was wasted 😂

42 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

PS From Connor Southwell article posted 8pm yesterday eve: 

City are still hopeful of announcing their next coach by the end of the weekend or the early part of next week, with Steve Weaver set to take the training sessions until a new man is in place.

The way these things work, that would tend to override their previous Friday target (today)

It does.  When the Farke-sit announcement was made the first briefing was that although Steve Weaver was in line to take training when players returned from their international break today, they hoped to make an announcement by then about the new manager.  I had originally expected an announcement to be made after the returning players had met the new manager this morning but this is no longer the timetable. I apologise if my optimistic thoughts on this previously have built people's hopes up too much.

In the end a few things have happened to conflate a delay:

• Frank Lampard went on holiday to Dubai to watch the T20 semi's and final;
  • Knutsen has been more difficult to access for interview than previously expected - whether this is the club or the man himself we'll have to see;
  • Smith became available so the club added him to their original list of two, to make a shortlist of three.  

Of course this raises a question over why Villa can appoint someone much more quickly than Norwich.  Villa I think only ever had one person on their shortlist (I assume they had indeed been warming Gerrard and / or his agent before making the decision about sacking Smith).  They were therefore able to focus all their resource on that appointment.  Norwich however with three candidates to keep warm are having to spread things more thinly, which does take up a lot more resource.  Given Norwich probably didn't have as much resource as Villa in the first place this has slowed things down considerably.

The club, having given the statement that they would not do their business in their media a la Spurs and  avoid an embarrassing story developing, have surprisingly now given two separate briefings to the the press.  The first on Saturday was fair enough, but the one yesterday that was being released at exactly the same time as TalkSport went live with their "announcement" was definitely against the supposed "getting on with it quietly" strategy, but served to further query the media story. 

Of course others on here have hinted at a strategy of using the media as a smokescreen whilst the club focusses on a fourth, more left field, candidate.  Perhaps, but if so the Pink'Un boys are being played and such treatment can only come back to bite the club eventually.

So, as of now, I am no closer to guessing who is the number 1 choice, has been the number 1 choice, or will eventually get appointed.  however the prospect of no-one being appointed by next Tuesday when the international players return is now a real possibility and will not help preparations for Southampton.  Indeed I can see a situation now where Weaver continues to take training, with Adams taking the managerial responsibility for the match. 

Wow, what a prospect!?

Edited by shefcanary

26 minutes ago, Jsim1986 said:

You were overly postive on Farke and now your overly negative. Do you have no in-between!? Lampard is more than worthy, he has a better record in the prem then Farke for a start. Farke was dreadful in the prem and not good enough. He is gone move on and get behind the team like you been telling everyone for weeks!!!

I will do, but not until I've said all I want to say.....after all, Farke outers were screaming on and on about their views for weeks and weeks before they finally got their way.  Are they feeling any better about it now he's gone?  I doubt that many of them are.

46 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The last bit of appointing a manager is agreeing backroom staff and dealing with compensation. If the rumour is that Lampard wants Joe Edwards from Chelsea then it may be the haggling to get him out of his current Chelsea deal is taking a little while to sort out.

Ah, that's interesting. I was just about to speculate that the longer it takes, the less likely it's Lampard, but that's a very good point

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Of course this raises a question over why Villa can appoint someone much more quickly than Norwich.  Villa I think only ever had one person on their shortlist (I assume they had indeed been warming Gerrard and / or his agent before making the decision about sacking Smith).  They were therefore able to focus all their resource on that appointment.  Norwich however with three candidates to keep warm are having to spread things more thinly, which does take up a lot more resource.  Given Norwich probably didn't have as much resource as Villa in the first place this has slowed things down considerably.

The Villa CEO, Christian Purslow, was the Liverpool CEO previously and is friends with Gerrard from that time.

I feel he was itching to get Gerrard in and was just waiting for a bad bit of form from Smith to have an excuse to do it. Gerrard had a clause in his contract that if a club were prepared to pay a certain amount of compo he could go, so it was a really easy deal to negotiate - seems they didn't speak to anyone else at all. 

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The club have surprisingly given the statement that they would not do their business in their media a la Spurs and  avoid an embarrassing story developing, have now given two separate briefings to the the press.  The first on Saturday was fair enough, but the one yesterday that was being released at exactly the same time as TalkSport went live with their "announcement" was definitely against the supposed "getting on with it quietly" strategy, but served to further query the media story. 

I doubt the club said anything to TalkSport about Lampard. It was probably info they got from one of their presenters who is either friends with Lampard, or someone close to him. The fact that Harry Redknapp, who is related to Frank Lampard, is a regular on TalkSport is probably a clue to where any such info may have come from.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Davitt saying nothing over the line yet, not expecting an announcement for 48 hours.

So is that an announcement about there not being an announcement? Does that mean we don't have to panic.

It's a worry, int it.

Edited by A Load of Squit

Just wondering if Gerrard was our first choice,  with Webbers time at Liverpool, only to be gazumped by Villa. Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

Just wondering if Gerrard was our first choice,  with Webbers time at Liverpool, only to be gazumped by Villa. Just a thought.

Couldn't ever see Gerrard leaving Rangers for us. Rightly or wrongly, his stock is a lot higher than Lampard's at the moment. Personally, I always thought Scholes was better than either of them.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

It does.  When the Farke-sit announcement was made the first briefing was that although Steve Weaver was in line to take training when players returned from their international break today, they hoped to make an announcement by then about the new manager.  I had originally expected an announcement to be made after the returning players had met the new manager this morning but this is no longer the timetable. I apologise if my optimistic thoughts on this previously have built people's hopes up too much.

In the end a few things have happened to conflate a delay:

• Frank Lampard went on holiday to Dubai to watch the T20 semi's and final;
  • Knutsen has been more difficult to access for interview than previously expected - whether this is the club or the man himself we'll have to see;
  • Smith became available so the club added him to their original list of two, to make a shortlist of three.  

The club, having given the statement that they would not do their business in their media a la Spurs and  avoid an embarrassing story developing, have surprisingly now given two separate briefings to the the press.  The first on Saturday was fair enough, but the one yesterday that was being released at exactly the same time as TalkSport went live with their "announcement" was definitely against the supposed "getting on with it quietly" strategy, but served to further query the media story. 

Of course others on here have hinted at a strategy of using the media as a smokescreen whilst the club focusses on a fourth, more left field, candidate.  Perhaps, but if so the Pink'Un boys are being played and such treatment can only come back to bite the club eventually.

So, as of now, I am no closer to guessing who is the number 1 choice, has been the number 1 choice, or will eventually get appointed.  however the prospect of no-one being appointed by next Tuesday when the international players return is now a real possibility and will not help preparations for Southampton.  Indeed I can see a situation now where Weaver continues to take training, with Adams taking the managerial responsibility for the match. 

Wow, what a prospect!?

Players on international duty don’t return till Wednesday at earliest 

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Are they feeling any better about it now he's gone?  I doubt that many of them are.

I'm not a screamer, but I am feeling fairly positive. DF gone with a lot of goodwill and without the awful toxicity that accompanied Worthy's departure. A win that stopped us being utterly cut adrift. A new coach who will hopefully get some of our more attacking players back in the side. A couple of days' delay is a tiny bit of grit in my optimism shoes, no more.

Just now, SwindonCanary said:

Maybe there's a problem with Lampard's  contract, and it's taking a while to sort it out.

Or could he be buying the club too so more forms to fill in? Owner/manager has a ring to it. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I'm with Jim on this. What was the point in sacking Farke when we did when he could have been supervising coaching this week. The only explanation for doing it when they did, was that someone was already in line to take over. 

It is a wasted week for the players, the foot taken off the pedal for those not on international duty and when all the players are together and a new person in place, it will have been nearly two weeks without direction or focus.

My guess is that they had someone lined up and it didn't work out. A bit of a shambles imo.

Some big assumptions there LDC, maybe, just maybe, SW thought more harm would have been done by leaving DF in place, and let's remember the players were given time off until today anyway.  Hypothetical, if one of my staff was creating a disruption (for whatever reason) and I decided they had to go, would I leave them in place to cause more disruption or would I get rid by the end of the day and worry about recruiting thereafter.  I would get rid asap and I would think you would too.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

While an overreaction from the OP I do find it interesting we haven’t announced anyone yet and what that means for the decision/negotiation process thats been going on behind closed doors.

Farkes fate was already decided before Brentford, that’s pretty clear. There also seemed to be media rumblings we already had a replacement at least at initial stages lined up last weekend.

Now there’s all sorts of noises about different candidates interviewing, one of which wasn’t even available when we sacked Farke.

Villa have sacked and appointed someone between us doing that. Not saying they are better, just an observation they have been as ruthless and decisive as we looked like we were going to be.

This started off looking like a decisive planned change and now it does feel a little like this maybe wasn’t as well planned and executed as the initial dismissal seemed. 

Spot on. It hasnt been less than a week at all. It was last Thursday they decided to pull the trigger and there must have been a few weeks thinking about it before that Thursday meeting was called. If not, this has all the hallmarks of a knee-jerk sacking with no plan as to what comes next. If it isn't done today there needs to be (even more) questions of Webber.

Frank Lampard is planning to bring Chelsea coach Joe Edwards to Norwich City if the former is eventually appointed as the club's new permanent boss, according to reports

5 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It was last Thursday they decided to pull the trigger and there must have been a few weeks thinking about it before that Thursday meeting was called.

I thought Webber had made his mind up on the Thursday but the final decision wasn't taken by the board until the morning of the Brentford game?

Players that are back in Colney will only be doing light work today. As Webber said, it's more than just three coaches who work with them. Steve Weaver and Ed Wooten will no doubt cover the training sessions, assisted by some of the youth coaches, but players will also be working with people who we seem to forget exist...

Charles Cullen, Glyn Lewis, Louis Cunningham, Chris Burton, Jon Urwin, Damien Bowyer, Chris Budd, Shaun Spurdens, Nick Wilford, John Iga, Matthew Lewis, Dan Smith, Adam Meadows and, of course, liasing with Stuart Webber and Neil Adams where needed.

I think we're fine for a few days!

1 minute ago, Ray said:

Some big assumptions there LDC, maybe, just maybe, SW thought more harm would have been done by leaving DF in place, and let's remember the players were given time off until today anyway.  Hypothetical, if one of my staff was creating a disruption (for whatever reason) and I decided they had to go, would I leave them in place to cause more disruption or would I get rid by the end of the day and worry about recruiting thereafter.  I would get rid asap and I would think you would too.

Any disruption wouldn't have come from Farke. The players who have been difficult are the ones who - if there was any disruption - would have been to blame.  I'm quite annoyed at the Cantwell thing, I've given him the benefit if the doubt several times, particularly after he appeared to settle down and start performing well last season, but it appears he fell foul of Farke again this season. Why? Is it because he thinks he should be in the team and has said so? Seems like Farke was trying to get his head straight by putting him in the U23s - there are no room for precious egos in a Fatke team.  Are there others who have caused problems?  Probably, Gilmour and Williams have not featured all the time - and I thought leaving out Williams AND Giannoulis against Leeds was indicative of something there. So Farke may have been having a few battles behind the scenes, but should have been backed imo.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Nope. They said hope to announce by Friday and in any event them saying that doesn’t make it acceptable for it to drag on into next week. 

297.jpg.dd5f050b8ce37ac0384fae18a966ec76.jpg

...."And the nominations for the next NCFC manager are"......

1. Lanky Frampard for his roles in "Derby County and my part in their downfall".....and "Raiders of the Lost Farke"......

2. Dean Smith for his roles in "Villa derides again".....and "Ing's ain't what they used to be".....

3. Kjetil Knutsen for his roll mops in "Norge in my back yard" .....and "You can't a fjord me"......

We put some of YOUR questions to our Joint Majority Shareholders Delia  Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones in Germany! ? Watch... | Norwich City FC |  Scoopnest

52 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Players on international duty don’t return till Wednesday at earliest 

Southwell mentioned Tuesday - or was that supposed to have read "after Tuesday"!  Still, 3 training sessions at most.  Gulp.

39 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Any disruption wouldn't have come from Farke. The players who have been difficult are the ones who - if there was any disruption - would have been to blame.  I'm quite annoyed at the Cantwell thing, I've given him the benefit if the doubt several times, particularly after he appeared to settle down and start performing well last season, but it appears he fell foul of Farke again this season. Why? Is it because he thinks he should be in the team and has said so? Seems like Farke was trying to get his head straight by putting him in the U23s - there are no room for precious egos in a Fatke team.  Are there others who have caused problems?  Probably, Gilmour and Williams have not featured all the time - and I thought leaving out Williams AND Giannoulis against Leeds was indicative of something there. So Farke may have been having a few battles behind the scenes, but should have been backed imo.

LDC, Again some big assumptions and I feel you may be wrong, but he ho, that's life.

Are any of the sports sites talking about Lampard going to Rangers? The BBC have a list of possible replacements for Gerrard but Lampard was conspicuous by his absence. I expected to see him linked and wasn’t sure whether to read anything into that or not?

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'm with Jim on this. What was the point in sacking Farke when we did when he could have been supervising coaching this week. The only explanation for doing it when they did, was that someone was already in line to take over. 

It is a wasted week for the players, the foot taken off the pedal for those not on international duty and when all the players are together and a new person in place, it will have been nearly two weeks without direction or focus.

My guess is that they had someone lined up and it didn't work out. A bit of a shambles imo.

Doesn't take much research to see the players not on international weren't back at Colney til today anyway. Farke was supposedly going back to Germany for a few days anyway. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Stuart Weaver is leading training, he had the pro license. 

Steve Weaver fills me with zero confidence. Zero.