Sjb

It's Lampard!

1 minute ago, Highland Canary said:

I would have stayed with Farke - he certainly won’t be out of work for long

I hope he does, it's hard to find managers who've really done well after leaving us.  Would be great to see a success story with him, always wish him well... Unless he went to 'them' of course.

If its Lampard, I think it will become even more painful season than it has been so far. Don't rate him at all and has had his both earlier teams underperforming so far.  Just hope it is not long contract so that we can have a proper manager for next season in Championship.

11 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

By sacking Farke, Webber puts all the blame on his coach who then gets all the attention

For a few weeks, maybe. But if the new coach can't make this squad competitive either, then the focus will be firmly back on Webber. It's ruthless, sure, but I don't see how it's a stab in the back. Webber is simply backing his own judgment

OK, it's clear I don't want Lampard. But if I try to ignore my own bias, this still seems a poor decision to me because already it is splitting us as fans.

Imagine Knutsen got the job. There would be people on here who expressed concern, the guy has never managed outside the Norwegian league, etc. But there wouldn't be this blast of really strong antagonism to the appointment. I'm not the only person on here who thinks Lampard will be a disaster and doesn't want him and would prefer to have Farke back.

In the end, of course, those of us who don't want him will shut up and support him and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

It would have been surprising a few months ago, but it's quite clear that Webber has fallen off the rails big time. It's a lot to deal with at his relative young age and it's not that surprising that he started to believe his own hype. Sadly it's affected his ability in his job role, look at the scattergun approach to recruitment and his now twice massive failings in filling obvious squad gaps (CB last time we were promoted CDM this time). He has gone from "we won't be signing relegated players, they're damaged goods" to packing out our squad with relegated players this time around.

His head has gone. And this is the appointment of a man whose head has gone.

There may well be something in this

Frank Lampard

I think it’s going to work, I’m optimistic. 

I think a lot of the angst against him is unfounded

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I think Frank can keep us up, but expect the team to run out of steam fairly quickly next season.  However Frank will probably already be on to his next role by then.  Interesting times.

Why do you think Frank can keep us up? Please tell me what Im missing

31 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Id have hoped our board were astute enough to see through this but apparently not. That Frank was a great player means diddly.

It's Webber's job to see through that, not the board's. But he's too busy covering his own **** because he screwed up at Huddersfield once he got to the Prem and he can't afford to screw up again.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Confused 1

Just about all Webber's principles and philosophies seem to have been thrown out of the window in the last six months, and now he's gambling everything on such a bizarre appointment.

I expect Webber will eventually crack up like McNally did before him. So sad.

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's Webber's job to see through that, not the board's. But he's too busy covering his own **** because he screwed up at Huddersfield and he can't afford to screw up again.

Yeah I bet he really regrets getting them promoted. What a loser. 

14 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's Webber's job to see through that, not the board's. But he's too busy covering his own **** because he screwed up at Huddersfield once he got to the Prem and he can't afford to screw up again.

I may be wrong here, but didn't Webber leave Huddersfield before they were promoted in 2017?

It's fair to say he has it all to prove at Prem level, but don't think Huddersfield's subsequent failings can be placed at his door.

11 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Why do you think Frank can keep us up? Please tell me what Im missing

He can't afford to fail from a personal perspective is the biggest thing!  I also suspect that Gerrard being appointed at Villa will give him real focus.  He's an intelligent football man, I think he will have learnt some lessons from his experience at Chelsea, will not be so obstinate as Farke and thus will seek to change thigs from match to match to keep the squad on their toes.  I think his approach will also be without fear and thus will be more suited to a relegation battle than more "technical" coaches.  

Of course it could all blow up and he fails to get the squad to gel at all. 🤷‍♂️

They called him 'Lampshade" at Hudd because everytime the club saw some light at the end of the tunnel Frank darkened it.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I think the point is that many of us would only have sacked Farke if a genuinely better manager was available. We remained optimistic that the board, in having decided to push that button 10 games after giving Farke a 4 year contract and so quickly that they couldnt even let him leave the opposition's stadium, were of like mind and therefore had lined up a superior candidate.

To then find out they've done all this for Frank Lampard is a massive let down. This is a backwards step for me. Absolutely no reason to think that Lampard can keep the club in the division, get more out of the players than Farke, or indeed get us back up should we go down.

Cant really understand it myself.

I totally agree with you that at Championship level there is no better manager than Farke. And being realistic that no gallant knight is going to come in and save us, I would have preferred to have stuck with him. But the inevitable would have happened - relegation - bossed the Championship - promoted - back to the start of the vicious circle. As much as I love this club, I always feel that we will be little ol' Norwich used by lower league, lesser known managers that 'talk the talk' as a stepping stone and a breeding ground for young talent.

If they had binned Farke for Lampard then he would already be holding the shirt. I feel they were hoping for someone else, maybe Knutsen. Maybe Favre. Are we really that big a club to find someone who can once and for all cut the damned yo-yo string!

Will be interesting to see who his back room staff will.

One things for certain, he’s not come to Norwich to top up his pension. He’s a football winner and is motivated to be a successful coach too.

We welcome him and wish him all the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

It's not like the fans wanted him out. There was a small number of boos on one or two occasions I can remember - but no protests, no Farke Out banners at the grounds. Only moaning on here. The board were hardly under pressure from the fans. 

Board took this decision of their own free will, they werent pressured at all really.

I would say collecting 2 points from a possible 30 counts as pressure.

9 minutes ago, Segura said:

I may be wrong here, but didn't Webber leave Huddersfield before they were promoted in 2017?

It's fair to say he has it all to prove at Prem level, but don't think Huddersfield's subsequent failings can be placed at his door.

That is correct.

A few peoples seem to be developing a blind dislike for Webber leading to nonsense like blaming him for Huddersfield's struggles two years after he left.

• Like 2

If it’s true then I’m nothing but disappointed .

I don’t like the guy , I don’t see what he can bring to us . That said I’m not a football genius myself either.

I would have preferred DF and gone done with the ship than FL.

3 minutes ago, Duncan's Knee said:

If they had binned Farke for Lampard then he would already be holding the shirt. I feel they were hoping for someone else, maybe Knutsen. Maybe Favre. Are we really that big a club to find someone who can once and for all cut the damned yo-yo string!

In that case, Webber screwed up, didn't he? He thought he had Knutsen or Favre in his pocket, he didn't, and so he had to make a panic appointment. A bit like getting Sargent after the Armstrong deal fell through.

13 minutes ago, Segura said:

I apologise, you're right about that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

In that case, Webber screwed up, didn't he? He thought he had Knutsen or Favre in his pocket, he didn't, and so he had to make a panic appointment. A bit like getting Sargent after the Armstrong deal fell through.

Sargent - the opponents secret sweeper!

58 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Could've been two factors in this which isn't immediately obvious to us as fans, but perhaps more from a business sense?

1. Could be related to our assets de-valuing 'if' there was some developing personal issues with Tzolis/Cantwell/Gilmour. or perhaps on a similar level the board feeling that we'd paid decent money for incoming players and they weren't being used.  Gilmour's wages for example, if he went back who knows what 'lost'  cost of having him here was.

2. They may have simply asked themselves if they're willing to go through with this for the full third cycle.  i.e. stick with him, get promoted again - and same end result.  As arguably that may have been the very best situation were they to put full confidence in him.  This international break was an ideal crossroads moment on that decision to get someone in early for hope this season, but more definite for next.

Obviously, not a clue, but when you factor in point 2 and 'if' Cantwell wasn't signing a contract extension (Who's worth dwarfs the cost of Farke being dismissed), I can see on a business sense how they would go this way even if their heart wasn't in the decision... If that makes sense.

What I don't think it was, was based on philosophies on how we play as such.  This notion that farkeball doesn't, or can't work - I don't buy so much.  Just feels that the cycle had run it's course to me, first time round is easier to hold belief, but second time... Much tougher as you see the cracks earlier in their development.

I think point one is a large part of it but I don't think its just the players values- its simply that Webber (and seemingly the owners) believe they've given him good enough players to be doing better than he is.

He's failing to get anything from the new signings outside of Normann, even including those he managed to get something out of last season while on loan. 

Webber and his team will have thoroughly scouted Rashica, Sargent, Tzolis etc and thought they were worthy of significant investment and would add something to the squad. I imagine they expected more than one assist from their new attacking players and they likely didn't expect investment in Kabak and Williams to lead to the worst defence in the league. 

Honestly the reaction on here is startling. The guy isn't even in the door yet and people are talking like they know exactly how it would play out. 

Name me a perfect candidate. Go on. I'll wait.

KK -> No experience outside Norway. Even as a player
FL -> Experience at Chelsea and Derby had some good points and some bad points. 
DS -> Uninspired performance with AV despite spending hundreds of millions 

FL would take us a different route to DF. I think we would see a more organised team unit rather than a reliance on individual performances as I think Farke did. I think he would continue to improve young players. 

He would need to impress me on his defensive organisation, which he struggled with at Derby and Chelsea. His team selection at Chelsea was also worrying. He definitely had his favourites and stuck by them even when it was clearly not working out.

It's a bold move if true, as evidenced by the reaction on here. Would it have been my choice? No. But it's not the worst choice we could make.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

I apologise, you're right about that. 

No problem and I actually agree with your sentiment - Webber does need a Prem survival on his CV and I still have no idea whether that's going to be with us.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Probably the most depressed I've been as a Norwich fan ever.

It would have been surprising a few months ago, but it's quite clear that Webber has fallen off the rails big time. It's a lot to deal with at his relative young age and it's not that surprising that he started to believe his own hype. Sadly it's affected his ability in his job role, look at the scattergun approach to recruitment and his now twice massive failings in filling obvious squad gaps (CB last time we were promoted CDM this time). He has gone from "we won't be signing relegated players, they're damaged goods" to packing out our squad with relegated players this time around.

His head has gone. And this is the appointment of a man whose head has gone.

Not really, he's pretty much guaranteed to keep the job for almost a year. We're consigned to relegation now, I suspect as long as we exceed Farke's previous 21 points then he'll stay in the job for at least the start of the Championship season. And then with our board's reluctance to fire and Webber's stubborn arrogance, I doubt they'll fire him until November with us languishing mid-table in the Championship. I just hope Ipswich are still a league below us at that point.

I go the games with my old man and father-in-law and they'd be pretty p*ssed off if I stopped going. That's the only thing keeping me going. Big decision to make in the new year when the renewals drop. I don't really care about league position or what division we're in, I just want to support a club I can be proud of. I can't be proud of a team with Lampard in charge and a bloke above him who has totally lost the plot.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Realistically in the immediate aftermath, those individual moments were infuriating and depressing, but then you wake up the next morning and look ahead to the next game or the next season. I personally was really excited about being in League One, it was a brand new experience supporting the club and one I'm delighted to have gone through. I'm not in the least bit excited about supporting Norwich now.

I think this is the closest thing I've ever seen to a grown man having a tantrum on the internet.

• Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think this is the closest thing I've ever seen to a grown man having a tantrum on the internet.

This from you is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Mr PinkUn Meltdown himself. Imagine lacking self-awareness to this extent. Staggering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It’s happened, we’ve agreed

somebody take a f@&£ing picture, quickly!

its pathetic isn’t it

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

Is this REALLY the succession plan that Webber told us all about.

or was that Bo11ox too.

Yes I seem to recall Webber stating that he had succession plans already in place