Our midfield is literally screaming out for someone with his defensive attributes. How are the other midfielders able to stroll into the starting line up week in week out putting in below par performances whilst he sits on the bench. I don't believe for a second that McLean, Rupp, Lees Melou are all streets ahead. It seems obvious from the outside especially after signing a new contract just in the summer. 

• Like 7

Its funny because I know there is this natural phenomenon that whoever isnt playing is the answer to all the problems, in Norwich world I believe its called 'the bechio effect'. However, unlike Luciano, we saw a lot of Lungi last year to suggest he's a good player and capable of getting better with his age too. Whats more is, one must ask.. not that could it be any better, but instead, could it be any worse?

If Daniel went back to a 4-2-3-1 with Norman and Sorenson I don't think many would be furious. The return of a 3 of LML and Kenny just cant happen in my opinion after a horrible no show.

He was outstanding last season at Left Back and unlucky to lose his pace in the team, but he couldn't get anywhere near our first string midfield... in the Championship... he was even below Alex Tettey in the pecking order! 

I get that unless we give him a go then we're never going to know, but I just can't see how he's going to be the answer to our problems trying to survive in the Premier League when he couldn't get a game in the Champ. 

Although his tactics and team selections can seem totally bizarre at times, there has to be a reason why Farke has never trusted Sorensen as a regular first teamer

Edited by Hand of Theo
  • Like 1

Amazing really when the likes of Rupp and McLean get regular game time and are clearly utter ****e , at least try all your options . Also how about trying Rashica and Tzolis as a strike partnership instead of the prolific Pukki Sargent combo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hand of Theo said:

He was outstanding last season at Left Back and unlucky to lose his pace in the team, but he couldn't get anywhere near our first string midfield... in the Championship... he was even below Alex Tettey in the pecking order! 

I get that unless we give him a go then we're never going to know, but I just can't see how he's going to be the answer to our problems trying to survive in the Premier League when he couldn't get a game in the Champ. 

Although his tactics and team selections can seem totally bizarre at times, there has to be a reason why Farke has never trusted Sorensen as a regular first teamer

Lundstram struggled to get into the Sheffield United team when they were promoted from the Championship, making only 10 appearances including ones off the bench. However, the following year in the Premier League he was one of their standout performers on their way to finish 9th.

Sorenson could well be our Lundstram.

• Like 2

He does seem another player who has been poorly treated. He never let us down at all last season and in fact his calmness on the ball and good decision making when playing out of position did suggest a player with the sort of footballing brain who could play at the level above.

Whether hes "the answer" I don;t know but he could be part of it and he's the only option we've not tried there despite it being his natural position. I have little doubt, based on what i've seen of him, that if instructed to do so he could sit in front of the defence and do a decent job as a holding midfielder who doesn't get constantly dragged out of position.

The only game where he's played that role this season we won 6-0. Admittedly against a Bournemouth reserve team but not sure what more he can do to deserve a chance. 

He was one of those who was hit rather badly with Covid in the pre-season, wasn't he? Placheta copped it pretty badly and obviously Stiepermann really did get a bad dose of it in earlier days. I suspect he may still be working his way back somewhat.

Those saying "but he couldn't get a game in the Championship" may have forgotten that we had Oliver Skipp producing consistently excellent performances in that position.

If he does have a weakness in his game, he's so calm, methodical and phlegmatic that it leaves him rather one-paced. 

Edited by TheGunnShow

If Sorenson is the answer to our current woes, then why are no teams of a similar or better ability interested in signing him? If he was made available for transfer tomorrow who would the takers be? My guess no better Championship teams.

I hear where you're coming from, it's certainly an area of the pitch that warrants concern, but I don't think he's the answer.

File this one in the 'substitute whose reputation gets enhanced by not playing' category - see also, Lucinao Bechio, Declan Rudd and Adrian Coote. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?!

READ THE POST!!!!!

1 hour ago, RobertRosariosBeefTomatoes said:

Our midfield is literally screaming out

😉

• Like 1

We're at that stage where everyone who's not playing is now the answer. The ability of those not playing will improve with every poor result. It's how football fans are.

However, you'd think Sorensen has every right to be knocking on Farke's door that the current players aren't performing and he should be in with a shout. If he's not bothering to show what he can do in training however, and the other guys are training better than him, it does muddy the waters a bit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We're at that stage where everyone who's not playing is now the answer.

There's definitely a bit of that. One thing Lungi does seem to have is intelligence, though. You'd imagine he'd do the job he was told to do (as indeed he did at LB last season). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He was one of those who was hit rather badly with Covid in the pre-season, wasn't he? Placheta copped it pretty badly and obviously Stiepermann really did get a bad dose of it in earlier days. I suspect he may still be working his way back somewhat.

Those saying "but he couldn't get a game in the Championship" may have forgotten that we had Oliver Skipp producing consistently excellent performances in that position.

If he does have a weakness in his game, he's so calm, methodical and phlegmatic that it leaves him rather one-paced. 

Didn't forget about Skipp. It was more that he was behind everyone in the pecking order. McLean, Vrancic, Rupp, Tettey were all ahead of him. In the games where we would want to tighten up towards the end of the match then Tettey would frequently get the nod to go on. 

I guess we're all asking the question why? But it doesn't fill me with confidence that he's going to be the answer if the manager has never had that confidence in him. I do hope I'm wrong though and he comes in and is awesome because he was so impressive at the start of last season and definitely deserves an opportunity

I like Sorensen, and along with everyone else don't understand why he doesn't get a look in. He isn't very mobile though and given that physicality thing and reliance on statistics, strength, power etc, his stats are probably nowhere near good enough.

Personally, I'd have him as the third centre back and in particular the one who steps up into midfield when he can - if we are going to stick with 532. But I also think he's worth a try alongside Normann as the 2 in a 4231. In there he could be virtually static as Normann probes.

I just hope we don't see the same old, same old on Sunday.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Lundstram struggled to get into the Sheffield United team when they were promoted from the Championship, making only 10 appearances including ones off the bench. However, the following year in the Premier League he was one of their standout performers on their way to finish 9th.

Sorenson could well be our Lundstram.

Or our Cantwell 

1 hour ago, Hand of Theo said:

Didn't forget about Skipp. It was more that he was behind everyone in the pecking order. McLean, Vrancic, Rupp, Tettey were all ahead of him. In the games where we would want to tighten up towards the end of the match then Tettey would frequently get the nod to go on. 

I guess we're all asking the question why? But it doesn't fill me with confidence that he's going to be the answer if the manager has never had that confidence in him. I do hope I'm wrong though and he comes in and is awesome because he was so impressive at the start of last season and definitely deserves an opportunity

A fair reason Tettey was ahead was because Sorensen was helping out at left-back at the time, especially as Quintilla kept relapsing with hip trouble. As for the others, it's not really comparing apples with apples but I do see the gist of what you're driving at.

Sorensen became an unusual problem with his emergence at left-back as it came - pun intended - out of left-field, especially when throwing Quintilla's injury problems into the mixer. Otherwise Farke would have had to dig another left-back out of somewhere, or indeed probably another centre-half if he'd decided to put Gibson there.

I get the "try anyone but the shower of sh1te" argument. We have a squad which we can  chose from especially when the first 11 is so bad. Remember Madders not being played by Alex Neil?

If Sorensen is'nt ever going to get the chance to play in the position he was purchased for,why give him an extended contract,as he obviously won't be seen at left back again with both Williams and Giannoulos vying for that role.Strange one.

25 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Or our Cantwell 

Yeah, I'd forgotten what a bit-part he played in that first title-winning season. Stepped up to the Prem and was probably our second best attacking player.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I get the "try anyone but the shower of sh1te" argument. We have a squad which we can  chose from especially when the first 11 is so bad. Remember Madders not being played by Alex Neil?

Yep,always did say if he had been here instead if Aberdeen,Maddison could have saved A.Neil his job.

2 hours ago, Hand of Theo said:

We needed another DM and should have loaned him out to prove himself.

Sorensen is a great talent and was really good for us last season and was mostly filling in at left back. I think he is being let down by DF not to get game time.

If you're reading this Soro, we love you man

Sorensen was on the bench for Chelsea so in my mind he must be doing enough in training to get picked.

The odd thing is he did so well for us in a position he'd never played in. We did buy him as the Tettey replacement and i guess he was lined up for that ubtil we got Skipp late on and performed exceptionally.

So in absence if getting a CDM, and Normann not being the answer to that role, its baffling Farke doesnt try him in the role we bought him for, when he looked calm at LB, should be even better in his natural position and Mclean, PLM not looking effective there.

Id love to try him next to Normann. Everything else has failed so at least try him, especially if youre picking him for the bench

• Like 1

I really don’t get why he’s not been given a chance, he’s got a calm head, good on the ball and showed he can defend last season. I think the premiership would actually suit his game more. Must be lazy in training or done something to pee off Farke……can’t do any worse than drop McClean or Lees for him.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I really don’t get why he’s not been given a chance, he’s got a calm head, good on the ball and showed he can defend last season. I think the premiership would actually suit his game more. Must be lazy in training or done something to pee off Farke……can’t do any worse than drop McClean or Lees for him.

My Thoughts He looks the player just to slow it down when needed , a calm head 

What are we basing this on? His zero league minutes this season or his performance in the League Cup game against Bournemouth? The poor chap hasn’t even made about half of the matchday squads.

Nothing against him, he’s always looked neat and tidy but I’m just wondering what makes people think that the yet-to-be-selected Sorensen is the answer, other than the fact he hasn’t played? I suppose he did play 90 minutes in our only victory this season. Maybe that’s it. 

Edited by Duncan Edwards

16 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

What are we basing this on? His zero league minutes this season or his performance in the League Cup game against Bournemouth? The poor chap hasn’t even made about half of the matchday squads.

Nothing against him, he’s always looked neat and tidy but I’m just wondering what makes people think that the yet-to-be-selected Sorensen is the answer, other than the fact he hasn’t played? I suppose he did play 90 minutes in our only victory this season. Maybe that’s it. 

I think we all saw him do very well whenever he appeared on the pitch at championship level. Why that didn't translate into starts last season was probably because the team were doing so well without him.  This season, did well against Bn'**** and not seen since, even though the team has struggled.......you would think he would have been given at least some minutes somewhere along the line. DF did give an interview a while ago suggesting  Lungi wasn't quite as sharp in training as he would like - maybe a bit like Vrancic and slightly too laid back compared to others?

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think we all saw him do very well whenever he appeared on the pitch at championship level. Why that didn't translate into starts last season was probably because the team were doing so well without him.  This season, did well against Bn'**** and not seen since, even though the team has struggled.......you would think he would have been given at least some minutes somewhere along the line. DF did give an interview a while ago suggesting  Lungi wasn't quite as sharp in training as he would like - maybe a bit like Vrancic and slightly too laid back compared to others?

How many games did he play in the Championship in central midfield? Genuinely? I don’t know the answer but my memory suggests he was mainly utilised as a makeshift LB, and that makes people’s clamour for him to start at CM/DM in the Premier League all the more bizarre.

If I’m wrong, I’ll hold my hands up but I just don’t know what people have seen from him in the role we’re discussing to think he’s a good idea to start on Sunday.

Of course, Farke might read this MB and go with it, or just think it’s worth the gamble.🤷‍♂️